Author Topic: Two new horns for two old bags  (Read 5991 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Two new horns for two old bags
« on: April 22, 2010, 07:04:46 AM »
I finally finished two new horns for my personal shooting outfits.    It is going to be weeks before I have the red violin varnish that I want to try, but I don't think they turned out to bad without it.   I should have photographed the horns before I attached them to the bags.   The contrast between the relatively light horns and the dark bags, makes it hard to see the detail on either. Let me know what you think.

Mark E.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:08:16 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Artificer

Re: Two new horns for two old bags
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:17:08 AM »
Mark,

I really like the way you attached the powder horn straps to the pouch strap with smaller versions of the same type of buttons you used on the main pouch.  I never thought about attaching powder horn straps that way, even though I've used buttons for the pouch cover flaps in the past.

During the time period, weren't buttons and especially cast buttons, chearper than small buckles? 

Gus

Mitch

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 03:10:37 PM »
Very Nice Work......... :o

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:15:13 AM »
Really nice sets!  I think the button attachments are pretty cool looking.  I've never tried attaching the horn to the bag.  I have heard of guys forgetting their horn though.  Good idea.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 05:09:45 AM »
Ken,  I guess that should be "horn to the strap".   Boy, are you a stickler for details. ::)

Mark E.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 07:54:50 PM »
 Nice work Mark, those are Great horns.

Tim C.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:26:04 PM »
Mark, great looking sets.  I find it interesting that the horns, being obviously left side carry, are installed to the bags for wearing on the right.  It's hard to tell from the pics, but do you find the horn tips sticking out a bit?  I'm not trying to be critical because I've seen original rigs with the same set up.  I would think that tip might get hung up on something unless the staple on the base plug is oriented just right, and I'm sure you've done that.   Regardless, I will reiterate, very nice looking packages.  And the colors look just fine to me.  Good job to me.
Gary 
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 03:25:46 AM »
Gary,

The horns are right hand carry from my point of view and the tips do stick out some on these horns.  However, after reviewing the photos I posted, they may be a bit misleading.   In the photos taken to show the base plug, the horns do look like they are most decidedly left hand carry.  However,   in order to take those pictures,  I placed the horns where they would balance. That position shows the inside of the curve that is normally against the body.    That is not how the horns look when hung from the strap.   When hung, they do curve around the body with the tip turning out some.  If you look at the position of the staple in the base plug of the banded horn, you will notice that the horn would rotate as much as 90 degrees CCW when hung.  

I am going to have to make myself a stand for photographing horns.   

Mark E.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:30:58 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Artificer

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 09:19:43 PM »
Mark,

I REALLY like the two "bosses" on the second horn to keep the strap from shiifting up and down on the horn. 

I keep looking at the first horn and can't tell if the spout end is a turned piece of wood or if you colored it that way.  Either way it sure complements the wood plug at the other end of the horn.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 01:40:50 AM »
The tip on the screw-tip horn is horn.   I dyed it to match the base plug.   I guess I did a good job at that. ;D

Mark E.

Offline TPH

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »
.........   I guess I did a good job at that. ;D

Mark E.

Shoot Mark, you did a good job on everything. Nice looking sets showing excellent craftsmanship. You have a good eye for line and detail.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:15:13 PM by TPH »
T.P. Hern

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 06:57:36 AM »
The photos of the top of the horns have been replaced.

Mark E.

msw

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 09:26:57 PM »
Wow!  great looking horns!