Author Topic: pictures of latest project  (Read 11514 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
pictures of latest project
« on: September 04, 2008, 02:43:19 AM »
This is a little 40 cal I just finished. I have been attempting to do better or the engraving. Still a long way to go but I can see improvement. I enjoyed the CLA show, I can't wait until next year. It was good to see old friends and meet some new ones.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
Re: pictures of latest project
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 03:07:17 AM »
That is a fine looking rifle, I don't see anything wrong with your engraving.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 03:43:31 AM »
Bama...

I really like that combination of stock color with the barrel and lock kept in the white.  Also, your engraving is very typical of what would be found on a longrifle such as this.  I think your shading is especially effective.  Brass can be a bugger...  One thing that has helped me is to slightly round the heel of your engraver, not the tip, just the heel.  It will give you a sharper, cleaner cut and helps eliminate chipping along the cut.  Thanks for sharing the pics and great job!...
Ed Wenger

Offline gibster

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 03:47:03 AM »
Nice rifle.  Great color on the wood and the brass.  The engraving looks fine to me.  I have yet to try any engraving other than putting my name on the barrel, but all in good time.  I hope to do as good someday.
Gibster

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:08:09 AM »
Very nice Jim!!!  That is a classic,. Very nice work.  It was great to see you in Lexington!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:37:41 AM »
Bama,
Nice job!  I like the engraving and think you do a nice job. 
Good seeing you at the CLA show.  I sure hope to make it back down to your shoot next year. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Ohioan

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 05:11:22 AM »
I think the engraving looks really good. 

I think macro focused digital cameras are the bane of hand tool work (engraving, carving) 
It allows you to see every little bump or nick that you wouldn't normally see.  When's the last time you picked up a long rifle and held it two inches from your eye to inspect the engraving?

Of the very few original guns I've observed, they were not perfect engravers or carvers.

You have to step back and see how the work flows with the gun.  That's what makes good carving or engraving in my opinion.

That was the hardest thing for me to do with my rifle.  I had to mentally force myself to step back a few feet and see what it looked like,  When I was carving I would obsess over every little nick or scratch.  but when i stepped back you couldn't see it.

anyways, enough rambing.  It looks good.  better than any of my attempts at engraving.  I don't think i have my gravers sharpened/heat treated correctly.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 05:15:43 AM »
Jim,

Love the color and finish of the stock.  Is that scraped and AF?  What finish?
Kunk

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 06:15:06 AM »
Jim,

Looks pretty darn good!
I know what you mean about engraving.  Some days I feel like I'm "getting it,"  and other days...not so much!
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline b bogart

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 10:25:03 PM »
Hey Bama
That engraving fits on a longrifle. I think it looks good!
Bruce

Ephraim

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 10:48:55 PM »
Nice over all rifle.
Are you push or chase engraving and what graver's are you using?  I am relearning to engrave with chase don't have the strength to push any more.
Ephraim
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:51:07 PM by Ephraim »

Bob Mac

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 11:01:48 PM »
Hey Bama
I think that rifle looks great. I can only hope the build I'm getting ready to start looks half as good.
Bob

eagle24

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 11:42:08 PM »
Great looking rifle!  Engraving looks nice to me.  Enjoyed meeting you at the CLA show.

Greg

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 01:32:25 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys, it helps the soul to hear them.

The stock is a scraped and AF was used to stain the stock and it has a hand rubbed oil finish.

I know all you PC guys will not like this but the engraving was done with a GraverMach and a 901 handpiece.

I tried HC engraving and even though I was making fair progress thanks to Mark Silver but my hands were telling me to stop because they hurt something feirce after an engraving session. So I went to a GRS beginers class and decided that I could make lines that were similar looking to HC    (really not to hard for my skill level, HA) and decided to buy their equiptment. Now I can engrave for 4 hours and my hands and shoulders to not hurt me. Plus it is just fun to cut lines with the air driven gravers. I did buy their sharpening system which helped me get consistant points and I think this alone would have made a big difference in my HC attemps. I have learned that you can't make clean cuts with a dull or poorly sharpend graver.

thanks again
Jim Parker

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 02:23:03 AM »
Jim
Looks good!!!Any carving on the other side!!!!

Mitch

northmn

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 12:42:38 PM »
I think the engraving looks really good. 

I think macro focused digital cameras are the bane of hand tool work (engraving, carving) 
It allows you to see every little bump or nick that you wouldn't normally see.  When's the last time you picked up a long rifle and held it two inches from your eye to inspect the engraving?

Of the very few original guns I've observed, they were not perfect engravers or carvers.

You have to step back and see how the work flows with the gun.  That's what makes good carving or engraving in my opinion.

Same for doing your work with a pair of 200 reading glasses.  I just finsihed checkering the wrist on a fowler.  First try.  It looks a lot better without the glasses and the gun looks better with it than without it.  That is what counts.  Your engraving improved the general appearance of the gun.  Engravers can pick at the fine points, but the gun builders appreciate the total.  Just my opinion.

DP

ironwolf

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 02:45:08 PM »
  Great looking gun Bama.  The colors are just fantastic and the engraving fits just right.

Kevin

karwelis

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 05:08:12 PM »
shes real purdy! what did you use to finish the wood?

karwelis

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 08:18:07 AM »
The hand made box makes it.  Nice overall work. Cool looking rifle.

Birddog6

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 03:39:37 PM »
Jim,  It looks good & very fitting to the rifle.  I wish you had mentioned the air gravers, I have 2 here I have never used, too many toys & not enough time to play with them.  You would have been more than welcome to try them out to see which one you liked the best.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 04:22:59 PM »
Bama, that's a honey of a rifle!!!
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
Bill thanks for the kind words.

Mitch the customer did not want any carving on this rifle but I did just a little, lock plate molding and forearm molding and the molding along the bottom of the butt stock. I just can't hardly build one anymore without at least putting that much on it.

Keith, that's me, a day late and a dollar short most of the time. I appreciate the offer and may talk to latter about your equipment.

thanks again to all for the kind words
Jim Parker