Author Topic: A Horner is Born  (Read 5263 times)

digger

A Horner is Born
« on: April 25, 2010, 06:07:47 PM »
I just finished my first horn under the tutelage of Steve Skillman. The plug is antler, and the base plug is mahogany. It is a present for my wife, our anniversary and her birthday are on the 27th. It is simple, yet I feel has very nice lines. It was a lot of fun, and I am already starting my next one. I will practice my scrimshaw, and then do some work on my wife's horn. I welcome your comments, the bug has bitten.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:10:17 PM by digger »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: A Horner is Born
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:47:09 PM »
Great job.  Nice clean lines and a wonderful first effort.  My first horn has nob since been reworked.  Yours is a keeper.   Welcome to the board,
ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:26:05 AM »
Welcome Digger: Looks like you have a nice canvas to work with when you start your scrachin, you also did a nice first horn.  Welcome again and good luck.  Flintlocks Forever-  Gary

El Lobo

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:42:09 AM »
That is a very fine looking horn there, Digger, and welcome to the forum.  You better watch that Skillman guy or he will have you building rifles next.  Seriously, Steve is a real craftsman and it looks like you are paying attention to what he has to teach you.

Lobo

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:13:16 AM »
Man you had to work with Skillman????????????? boy do I feel sorry for you, your ears must be real tired by now! He's the one that got me hooked on snorting horn dust, nice job on the horn!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:14:01 AM by Beaverman »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 09:16:36 PM »
 Nice job, simple and clean. Look forward to seeing more. Welcome to the ALR.

Tim C.

msw

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:59:41 PM »
clean lines, nice curves... i like it!!

Offline ChipK

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:26:22 AM »
Watch out for Steve, he will intice you into making more and more stuff.  Also you would have to look far and wide to find a fellow as nice as he is.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 07:33:56 PM »
Digger
  A horner is not born. Well, maybe in your case.
  You work hard. You study, and learn from your mistakes.  You seek information wherever you can find it,more hard work and maybe you start ro see results in your work.
  I think the trick is to be persistant, and not to become discouraged when things don't go right. Also to realise how good others are and accept constructive criticism and it's intent. Keep it up.

Skillman
Steve Skillman

Offline trentOH

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 04:06:32 AM »
That'd look really nice scrimmed with wedding rings, your names, and anniversary date on it. Not traditional in the traditional sense, but She Who Must Be Obeyed would probably think highly of it.

digger

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 05:39:49 AM »
Good idea TrentOH, I may do that, she would like that. It would make it easier for her to forgive me for the order of horn I just placed, hehehe.