Author Topic: Understanding Aging  (Read 27328 times)

Leatherbelly

Re: Understanding Aging
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2008, 04:35:31 AM »
 Bill,
   Glad to see you are back. Haven't seen your posts in a while. I've always valued your input. Let's talk about lube sometime,ok?

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2008, 05:19:48 AM »
The simple solution to fraud is for every maker to plainly mark his guns. Probably in more than one place.  No real expert will be fooled by a modern aged gun. Just as guns don't kill people neither do guns commit fraud. No matter what they look like. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 05:23:16 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2008, 06:27:12 AM »
I have followed this topic with great interest and much amusement.  I think the amusement comes to me most clearly as I shave each morning.  It seems that the question of aging is one I don't have to expend much effort on and I can still do an excellent job of it.  I think I will not spend much time making any of the things that I build look old prematurely.  I believe all of them, and I, will be old very soon.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 06:30:52 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Mike R

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2008, 06:07:19 PM »
Words are so so powerfull. Lately I have been trying to abide by the Four Agreements (book written by * Ruis). they are:
1. Be impeccable with your word(s)
2. Never assume.
3.Never take ANYTHING personal.
4.Always do the best you can.

Just try it, the first two agreements are the hardest,but if we try these methods, our words will not offend. Now I can get off my soapbox! Sorry

they just needed repeating.  thanks.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2008, 07:37:36 AM »
I think Jerry has pretty much nailed it as far as fraud is concerned. For a contemporary rifle to be admitted to the KRA show for example, it has to be signed and dated and tagged.

Personally I like both new and antiqued guns. Even heavily antiqued guns. It's an art form in itself. I'm a new gun maker but I still like to tarnish the metal a bit and darken recesses just to soften things up a bit.

hyltoto

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2008, 06:32:20 AM »
I have seen originals that were "subdued" on purpose. It looked like a mixture of linseed oil and soot. I imagine the early militia men didn't want to run around the woods with a shiny gun. I've read about the early pioneers rubbing the brass with green hickory husks or haws to blacken the brass.

For those interested, I'm reading letters from the Draper manuscripts and the KY militia wore buckskins and bearskin hats as a uniform during the revolutionary era.

I built a repro 1804 Harper's Ferry. I deer hunt with it, and this is aging the rascal really well!

I think antiquing sells because it fits the romantic notions of our roots.