Author Topic: Deringer rifle  (Read 4499 times)

dannybb55

Deringer rifle
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:46:03 PM »
Here is an interesting Deringer link www.thayeramericana.com/catagory.php?cat_id=1.
 it is a1814 era with an oct to round barrel.
   Danny

J.D.

Re: Deringer rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 08:06:50 PM »
The link doesn't work for me.

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:06:56 PM »
John Robbins

Offline TPH

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:20:22 PM »
The seller makes some interesting claims....
T.P. Hern

The other DWS

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 02:34:34 AM »
Interestingly they start out practically shouting, "the ONLY survivor"  but farther down they start hedging with  "only known" in smaller print.    interesting piece, looks to be in amazing shape,  wonder what the provenance documentation on that specific item is?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 04:28:09 PM »
Interestingly they start out practically shouting, "the ONLY survivor"  but farther down they start hedging with  "only known" in smaller print.    interesting piece, looks to be in amazing shape,  wonder what the provenance documentation on that specific item is?

Hey they are salesmen after all so whats a little hype?  ;D

One of my favorite phrases  in describing some artifact is "recently surfaced" ::)
Its likely real but from this distance it tough to tell.
Like Reagan said; "trust but verify".
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

The other DWS

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »
"truth in advertising=oxymoron"

I suppose that stuff like that shows up in old Eastern family estate collections.
 Here in the Midwest I get the Rock Island Auction stuff and some of the estate collections they handle are truly amazing. 
I've seen some collections in smalltown local museums that were put together by local or regional industrialists around the turn of the previous century that were really eclectic.  Sadly their standards of documentation represent more wish than fact.  on the good side outright high quality forgery was less common then, you'd be more likely to see an early percussion with George Washington's name on it. 
A LOT of really strange stuff done in the wake of the 1876 Centennial uproar.