Author Topic: maker ID  (Read 6670 times)

ottawa

maker ID
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:07:13 AM »
NF Whill its on the barrel of a .52 cal mullear ohio chunk gun from around 1849 not sure if this is the maker or not ill try and get mor info on the rifle tomarrow ie pics if the owner will allow

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: maker ID
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:29:45 AM »
Jim,
    The name N.F. Whill is on the barrel of a 52 cal. chunk gun with a mule ear lock, made around 1849.  He is not sure if Whills is the maker of the gun or not.  He will try to get more information and post some photos of said gun, if the owner will allow. 
     I think he is asking if anyone has ever heard of N.F. Whill.  I checked Sellers and there is no listing---assuming he spelled the name right. 
     I have been translating Cameron Co. mountain folk talk for years and so it was not to difficult.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:48:58 AM »
Scooter......sure glad I took a typing course in school, it has come in handy so many times.   After being on this forum I have found that there are many out there that don't know what the "shift" key is for, or when to use a period. comma, or a capital letter.............Don

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 06:05:09 AM »
I have a friend that does a lot of 'texting' on his cell phone, and writes the same way in his emails.
For some reason, maybe cause I'm old, it generally drives me crazy to read the stuff, so I usually just ignore it. Although sometimes it is fun to try to figure out just what the heck they're trying to say!

no disrespect to those that write like this i assume you can write correctly if you want to for me its just to hard to read to pay much attention to it have a good day

John ;D
John Robbins

ottawa

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:45:32 PM »
Nice to know that asking a question is a open invite to bashing from a lot of arrogant folks

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 07:37:21 PM »
Nice to know that asking a question is a open invite to bashing from a lot of arrogant folks
Gotta agree with you there.  I'm surprised that at least one of the 129 moderators didn't see the indignity of it.  Must be who says it rather than what is said.

Muzzleloading enthusiasts range from the poor, illiterate Appalachian mountain man to the erudite and highly educated college professor.  All should be treated with equal dignity.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:00:47 PM »
Please reply in regards to the first inquiry or not reply at all.  I've deleted the rudest response and will lock it down if there's more of the same.
Andover, Vermont

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 08:05:10 PM »
I'm surprised that at least one of the 129 moderators didn't see the indignity of it.  Must be who says it rather than what is said.

Contrary to what some may assume, moderators do not scrutinize each post, nor do they care much who is doing the posting, unless there is a pattern of straying outside the liberal boundaries established.  We generally happen upon a situation going south by chance or someone notifies us that something is going south.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 05:26:41 AM »
I just did a quick search of the 1850 census, looking for the surname "Whill".  I did not find a match with those initials. There were only a handful of Whills listed. They were in New York, New Jersey, and Maryland. This does not mean there were not others, perhaps missed by the census taker, or with the name misspelled by the census taker.

jwh1947

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 04:25:58 PM »
I have 3 college degrees and the most important things I ever learned were not learned in classrooms.  Also, some of my best teachers, to the best of my knowledge, had no college degrees.  I agree that cleanliness in writing is an asset, yet if we discount the words of the less erudite, we overlook much that may be useful.  Everyone has a story to tell, some just more polished than others. 

Some of the most obtuse among us, with egos as big as a jumbo jet, viewpoints as narrow as a knife blade, and the manners of a jackal have PhD's.   That degree, by itself, means absolutely nothing other than that the recipient can handle academic fodder in bulk.  Be careful, as a former English teacher, I am here to tell you that many ALR submissions, including some from advanced degree holders who should know better, are replete with mechanical and grammatical errors.  Wayne

Offline bgf

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »
Someone writes in asking for help ID'ing an old rifle, offering pictures, and he is taken to task by the schoolmarms for his prose style.  My degrees are in Latin and Greek, so I'm not an expert on English, but the original poster's question was  easier to understand than the puerile responses he received to his question.  I certainly hope the rest of us didn't lose a potential friend and chance to see an antique rifle so that a couple of rifle experts could feel good about their language and typing skills.

ottawa

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 07:58:08 PM »
sorry guys no pictures .:'( The owner sold it this weekend at a Civilwar show in Ohio before I was able to take pics.

jwh1947

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 06:42:16 AM »
bgf...if you would agree to toss in some old Atlantic Monthly magazines, I'll gladly donate a copy of Warriner's English Grammar and Composition for all site users to share. That was the text that was used back when they still taught grammar in high schools.  Lots of schools gave that up because we created a generation of English teachers that never mastered the subject themselves.  The profs spent 3/4 of the time reviewing obscure literature and expecting good models to rub off.  Then the best of these students went on to teach teachers. 

I learned to write in my father's print shop where he used me as teenage forced labor at the Linotype, and at proofreading and copy editing.  He was not a college man, but bright and well spoken.  Mom was an English teacher, so at home, proper English was used.  Yes, I was an English major, but I do not owe the bulk of my skill development to classrooms where I paid tuition. 

To cut to the chase, the standard of literacy in this country is a national disgrace, dwarfed by the literacy of northern Europe and some places more obscure.  The level on ALR appears to be well above the national average.  PS:  When I first retired I put in a stint as a community college teacher.  In regular classes, lots of my thrust was fundamentally remedial, rather much on the 9th grade level.  I would have no reason to distort the simple truth. 

Everybody please go ahead and express yourselves as well as you can.   Excluding Ph.D's and others of doctoral level, I will refrain from correcting egregious mechanical and usage errors, as I assume that the latter would wish to advance their formal educations.  Also, guys, when I slip up, please let me know.  Wayne

Offline bgf

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 05:42:44 AM »
jwh,
I agree wholeheartedly about the deplorable state of grammar in the U.S.  When I was a teaching assistant trying to teach freshmen Latin 101, we had to first teach most of them the parts of speech and then how to diagram sentences before they could even begin understanding Latin grammar.  That experience was part of the reason I didn't end up being an academic, but it also made me angry that people were being cheated of a decent education: Most of that should have been mastered in the fourth grade.  Even my grandfather who left school after the eighth grade spoke and especially wrote much better English than many of the recently college educated people I've met since.

Anyway, I agree with you on all points, but I am particularly glad that you spoke up for the principle of treating all people as valuable, regardless of their apparent level of education or writing or speaking skills.  I also have known many people who simply did not have any education to speak of, but whose acquaintance and friendship I would value beyond any number of randomly selected Ph.D's.

I hope I didn't make too many grammatical errors :).