Author Topic: Soddy influenced E. TN  (Read 18180 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Soddy influenced E. TN
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:43:27 AM »
I finally built myself a keeper rifle. Although she's inspired by rifles made in the Soddy-Daisey area and other parts of E. TN, she also has a few Steve Bookout influences melted in.  I hope you can see the transition in the way my guns look as I develop my own style of TN rifle while keeping those influences present.  
She's got a 13/16" straight barrel measuring 4 foot long x .36 cal.   If 4 foot long doesn't make it special enough, the barrel is an original from Steve Bookout's G-Pappy's gunshop. We rifled it by hand on No. 3 or "Tobacco Juice Annie. There's about 3 miles of walking back and forth by projects end. The barrel is connected to the Walnut stock with one of them long over the comb tang. Some of you may have saw me dragging that blank around at Friendship a year or so back. I'm still not sure how I beat Birddog66 to it as it is a real pretty piece of wood.
The lock is a modified Chambers Late Ketland with some of my scratching on the plate. You'll notice this lock have a brass tail, a feature Steve started about 30 years ago and I've used on the last few rifles I've built. Being I'm apprenticing under his watchful eye I think it is entirely proper to copy and carry over. You may also notice the slight forward kick on the trigger guard bow. Another one of Bookie's bad habits. The origins of them hand made triggers can be traced back to Corn Patch Iowa too.  
A double based front sight, muzzle decorations, and Masonic inlay in the cheek finish the old girl out.      
Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome. Good or bad.  
Cheers,
Ken

P.S It's obvious from the above description that Steve Bookout has influenced the way I build TN rifles.  I'm very grateful for the help  It would not be fair if I didn't also give a special thanks to Keith Lisle (Birddog6) for all the help he has given me over the years.   Thank you both.  

More pictures here.
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Packdog1/4%20foot%20lady/

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:14:08 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Soddy influenced E. TN
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 05:26:05 PM »
 WOW Ken, Super rifle. I like the slimness of it,  it flows really well. Thanks for the  pics.

Tim C.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Soddy influenced E. TN
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:16:32 PM »
Thanks Tim.  This is the rifle I bought your little banded horn for.  I'm saving up for one of Mary Ellen Pratt's beautiful bags to go with it.
Ken
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:17:42 PM by Ken Guy »

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:18:22 PM »
I like that a lot, did you make the blue lodge emblem?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 09:26:51 PM »
Thanks bdixon66,
Yes I did make the square and compass.  It's cut out of sheet brass.  I'm sure there is an easier way to do it but I made a copy to the size I wanted to make.  Trimmed the excess paper away as close as I could to the outline and then used spray adheisive to stick it to the brass.  The cut and filed away.  Here's a tip, make lots of copies of your pattern before you start.  I buggered the papaer part up several times and it was nice to slap a new outline on and go back to work.
Ken

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 09:44:03 PM »
I was looking at this rifle, and looking. Then had the thought that someday I'd like to build one for myself.

Then I had the thought, why not have Ken make me one. It would be a lot faster. And look more Ken-like.  ;D

Really nice rifle, Ken.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
It is going to be quite a while before I attempt that type of inlay although if I mess it up then a solid oval or other shape can go over it.  Who's to know the wiser except me?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 09:52:02 PM »
Acer,
I will not build you one.  Why?  Because I want to see what a TN rifle with gold inlays, highly engraved and anthus (sp) leaf trigger guard looks like.   :D :D :D

bdixon66,
It's not as hard as it sounds.  Just time consuming.  One of those little holding jigs that R.E. Davis sells really helps a lot.   $8
http://www.redaviscompany.com/0962.html

Ken
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:52:47 PM by Ken Guy »

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:02:16 PM »
Ken, it was a pleasure to see that in person at Norris.  she was right proud looking in the Contemporary display.  If that Bookout barrel shoots even half as good as mine, it'll shoot one hole groups out to 50 yards with ease, if you do your part, and unfortunately that's my problem with Miss Maggie, she does her part, but I'm lacking a bit.  Acer, you best place your order soon, or you might just have a long wait for one of Packdog's rifles.  I've got mine, and I'm a proud Daddy  of Miss Penny.  Enjoy that gun Ken, rabbits, and squirrel's are trembling in their skins. :D

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Collector

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:10:01 PM »
Ken,  The iron-mounted TN rifles that you present, are really growing on me.  Thanks for pointing-out those little details that you incorporate in your work.  I also really like your stock finishes.  When I see a rifle like this, it makes me wish I'd just stepped-up and bought that lock on the CLA site, for a future/sometime down the road project. :'(   Your rifles just seem to get better and better, every time I see them.  
As always,  Gaylord  

Dave K

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 10:13:35 PM »
Ken, That is one very nice Tn. gun. Beautiful!

FG1

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 10:18:20 PM »
Sweet Ken !

willyr

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21:52 PM »
Dang! You just keep doing it. That is one outstanding rifle- perfect.
Bill Ridout

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 11:32:28 PM »
Ken - I was wondering when you were going to post that one.  Just a great gun.  I love the hardware and the triggers especially.

Guy

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 12:07:05 AM »
Ken,

It is a very nice gun.   I particularly like all the little details, particularly the lock and the triggers.   Of course, lets not forget the 48" hand rifled barrel.  A lot of work went into that rifle.   If you are selling it,  I hope the recipient appreciates all the work.

Mark E.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 12:11:21 AM »
Nice rifle.  I think you have combined the best parts from the different tennessee styles.  Well done.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline flehto

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:16 AM »
Your rifles have an aura about them that begs one to pick 'em up. Didn't know that BPs were curved that much....must require an upper arm hold? Simply beautiful....Fred

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 01:01:37 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  They are very much appreciated.   

Mark,
She's not going to be sold.  Already talked to the wife about what happens to it when I'm gone.   

Gaylord,
Just recently someone mentioned they wished builders would elaborate on the details and why they did something.  Thanks for mentioning that. 

Fred,
With that much curve in the buttplate she has to be shot off the upper bicep.  The deep cresent really helps hook under the arm and balance a nose heavy rifle. 

Cheers,
Ken

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 02:03:40 AM »
Ken this is beautiful gun, i am building one or i should say trying to and coming along fine even with the mistake that makes me mad sometimes. Is this gun mostly scratch built and approx how long to build and how fine does it shoot
Denis

ironwolf

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 02:39:47 AM »
  Nice job Packdog.  I think I'd have to say that you're there.

Kevin

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 02:46:14 AM »
Ken,
I think you did a nice job on the rifle. I would say it is the best that I have seen you do so far. It was nice to see it in person this past weekend. I think that is nicer than the pictures show.
Now you just need to forge one of those 4 footers. Maybe after the pistol barrel is done? you have to try it sometime.
Marc

R.W.D.

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 05:18:45 AM »
Hey Ken, thanks for the photos.  I knew there was some reason why I liked your work so much.  Now I discover that you are a Masonic brother.  I'm waiting patiently for my walnut stock from TOW to arrive so I can get down to business on my current build.  Southern Mt. rifles are my passion.  Love your work.
Ross W Dillion
Western Star Lodge #2
Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline Carper

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 05:25:37 AM »
Ken: That really is a nice rifle.  I can remember when you were trying to "frankenstein" some triggerguards to look more Tennessee. I might could take that brass "sidewall" on the lock, but Bookout wiggle on  the guard bow, what is next a gold front tooth ?   Even so, a really good looking rifle shows through. I really like the almost 90 degree nose on the comb.  Johnny          I am thinking about hosting a match for southern squirrel rifles here on the farm this fall. If I do I'll be sure to let you know, I'd like to see what that 48" barrel would do.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 06:07:51 AM »
Gentleman,
Thanks again for all the kind words and encouragement.  

frenchman,
I guess you would say mostly scratchbuilt.  Most everything I made except the lock.  I couldn't even begin to tell you how many hours I have in it.  I'd be afraid to keep time.  I haven't had her to the range yet but I'm sure she will shoot better than I can see.  
Good luck with your TN.

Marc,
I enjoyed the Norris show very much and most of all getting to display along side you guys.  

Brother Ross,
Welcome to the board.  Please post some pics when your finished.  

Carper,
LOL when I read your post.  I too remember Frankensteining the trigger guards.  I also vividly remember you emailing with pleas to try bending, filing or beating a proper trigger guard out.  You were right, it is a very satisfying feeling to take a chuck of metal and make something out of it.  Say what you want about the brass tail but you have to lay off my Bookout wiggle.   :D ;)   Send me an email when you plan to have that shoot.  I'm not so sure about shooting on flat land but I'd give it a try.

Cheers,
Ken

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:12:20 AM by Ken Guy »

Offline horseman

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 07:10:42 AM »
 Just a BEAUTIFUL rifle!! 8)  Very pretty wood as well.     Bud.