Author Topic: Newbie question - scallops on pouch?  (Read 4484 times)

longhunter1757

Newbie question - scallops on pouch?
« on: April 30, 2010, 05:14:21 PM »
How does one go about making the scallops or zig-zag decorative edge on the flaps?
I know this is probably a real easy and overly obvious answer but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
I'm working on  pouch for my 10 yr old son and while he wants it relatively plain I'd like to put a little decoration on it just for asthetics.
I tried pinking shears but the edge comes out a bit ragged.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich Baker
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:14:36 PM by longhunter1757 »

Offline Beaverman

Re: Newbie question - scallops on pouch?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »
The old school way to do it is with pinking irons, they resemble the osborne style punches and cutters that you see at Tandy but with obviously different shapes and such, if you find them, they will be old tools as i do not know anyone who carries them anymore, a lot of saddlers used them in the day, still looking for them myself, good luck!

Offline Habu

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:47:37 PM »
The tip of a sharp knife works, though I've used a chisel a time or two.  In any case, the operative term is sharp.  If you wave the blade through the air, you should hear the crackle of splitting molecules . . . .   ;D

longhunter1757

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:38:19 PM »
I had a feeling the answer was going to be a very sharp knife and very steady hands.
One thing is for sure, that really makes me appreciate some of the bags I've seen on this site even more.

Thanks gentlemen!

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:28:56 PM »
You might try one of those cloth cutting wheels the ladies use to cut out patterns for sewing.  I use them all the time with leather and find them both easy to control and they cut leather like butter.  Use the smallest radius blade (wheel disc) size for small detail work, large radius wheel for straighter lines. 

longhunter1757

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 10:51:52 PM »
Jerry,
   I have one of the larger wheels and love it. I'll pick up one of the smaller ones and try it on some scraps.

Thanks!

Rich

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 05:42:48 AM »
To make scallops, I've used a sharp wood carving gouge to good effect.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »
Ben that is  great idea!  And if you haven't the required gouge shape make the shape out of a piece of clock spring, either as a complete gouge or as a stamping tool. The gouge would probably be the best way.  I've got a couple wide clock springs laying around - have to make one for a scallop on the next bag. 

msw

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 09:04:41 PM »
I like the wood gouge idea better than what i used last time (very sharp very small knifeblade).  The trick (if you call it that) is to have the blade of whatever you're using surgically sharp.

Good luck with your bag- you'll really like the scalloped edges when they're done.

longhunter1757

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 01:17:13 AM »
Ben,
   A fantastic idea! Gonna give that a try!

Thanks!

Rich