Author Topic: cane/bamboo ramrods  (Read 5463 times)

J.D.

cane/bamboo ramrods
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:14:23 AM »
I happened to be a Lowe's today, and just happened to look through their bamboo plant stakes looking for potential arrow shafts. As I riffled through the bin of 'boo,  I thought of using one of these 4' stalks as a ramrod for smaller caliber rifles.

Since bamboo is incredibly strong, incredibly durable, and flexible, I though it might make decent rammers. Does anyone know of any reason why a bamboo stalk would be unsuitable for a ramrod, other that they would not be historically correct?

just kinda thinkin'...typn' out loud, so to speak...type.

BrownBear

Re: cane/bamboo ramrods
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:56:18 AM »
I could be fantasizing (again), but do I recall reading somewhere that bamboo is abrasive?  Could be wrong on that, but you're right about the strong.

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 02:15:33 AM »
How fast does the cane or bamboo you're looking at taper?   I just checked a piece of rivercane I had laying around and the diameter went from .275" to .375" in a 30" length, and one of my cane arrow shafts looks like it increases in diameter about .1"/ft length.   If you can live with that taper, or find a more uniform diameter piece of cane, you should be in good shape.    Straighten it and sand the joints, maybe even put a brass tip on it, and it should work, but I'm not sure there's any  advantage in performance over a piece of hickory.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 03:47:23 AM »
Does anyone make a tapered synthetic ramrod for utilitarian purposes? 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 05:04:04 AM »
Bamboo - I have visions of one of those Japanese Matchlock muskets :-)
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 05:44:25 AM »
I could be fantasizing (again), but do I recall reading somewhere that bamboo is abrasive?  Could be wrong on that, but you're right about the strong.

Bamboo enamel (the outer coating) contains high levels of silicate - ask any bamboo fly rod maker how much time they spend sharpening their plane's irons.
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:48:34 AM »
Thanks everyone, I think I 'll stick to hickory rods.

God bless

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »
It's so thick at one place i hunt that i found a buck rub on a stalk.  As far as historic-when did bamboo get here?  I can't imagine that it was completely ignored as a useful material-for some things-maybe not ramrods. It's still used for scaffolding in the East.  We're making bicycles from it here and in Africa.

Thanks for the silicate note--i brought home about 20 10-14' lengths.  Can always make crappie/bluegill rigs from em.  good woodswalk targets and whistles...  it's like bodock* (osage orange), anybody who has it, will give you all you want.

*yes, i'll be splitting out a bunch of that too.
Hold to the Wind

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 09:05:41 PM »
Several species of bamboo are native to America and other species have been imported.  In other words, there's a good selection to choose from.  I don't know how it would serve as a rod but offhand see no reason not to try it.  If it is abrasive it would be easy to sand and apply a tough coating of some kind.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline kerry

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 04:20:04 AM »
I've played with same idea myself for a 32 cal.  Look in flea markets and antique stores for the fishing rods that are glued together from 6 different pieces.  Pier One imports have bamboo culms in the 4/5' length reasonably priced that can be split and glued up.  No cross grain to split out like some rods I've encountered.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 05:08:53 AM »
flyfishermen everywhere cringe!

a pal of mine pays for bamboo rods what we'd call, good money for a rifle.

but good luck any hoo...it's going to be whippy. ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline RonT

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 05:34:40 PM »
I've made a few ramrods from splits, Hickory, Red Eld, Osage,....and one from a salvaged 3 pc. bamboo fly rod mid section.  I've also made a few bamboo flyrods.  And,...a few arrows from 'Martha Stewarts'.
No way would I make a ramrod from a 'Martha Stewart', primarily due to not having the node(s) reinforced. 
I might think about making a rod from bamboo split, turned 180* then reglued.......  OK, I've thought about it.   Naw........
R
Spes Mea in Deo Est

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 03:40:40 AM »
Martha?

at least you're thinkin' eh?  good idea for something i'm sure-thanks for that.
Hold to the Wind