Author Topic: How to age brass ?  (Read 8589 times)

Martin_G

How to age brass ?
« on: May 01, 2010, 05:46:52 AM »
What is the correct procedure for aging brass to where it looks sort of antique?

Thanks,

Martin

Offline J. Talbert

Re: How to age brass ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:17:37 AM »
I've used Brass Darkening Solution that Jim Kibler told me about.

Seems to work well.  Gives even coverage that can be easily steel wooled off the high spots and remain in the low spots.

http://www.historichouseparts.com/chemicals.aspx

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:25:11 AM by Jeff Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:22:24 AM »
Cold bluing will turn it black but you can buff it back with 4ot steel wool and give it a tarnished look. You will want to experiment on some other items first though.     Gary

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:55:44 AM »
If you put some ammonia on a cotton ball in the bottom of a can or jar that you can seal, and then seal the brass parts in the container but not touching the cotton ball, so they can be fumed for a few hours it will age the brass much as it ages over years of sitting in an attic etc. it dulls the shine and puts a layer of black and even some verdigris on it. you rub it back on the high spots etc to get the look you want.

DO NOT leave it too long as the ammonia leaches copper out of the brass and will make it brittle.  A few hours is usually enough.  Experiment with some pieces of brass first is always a good idea.....
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

northmn

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »
I ahve always believed that a new rifle should look new as they did when made back when.  Let the aging occur with use as happened back then.  However, you can cut the glare off of brass by rubbing your dirty cleaning patches over the shiny brass when shooting. 

DP

jwh1947

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »
Dr Tim is, as usual, on target.  Ammonia fumes work.  Take a can, fill it 1/2 full with ammonia, put in a screen above the liquid, drop the part on the screen, cover it well and check it next day.  It works.  Commercial brass black looks fake and is only useful if it is backed off 95% or so.  Latter only used here for touch-up and blending.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 04:08:29 AM »
Why?
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Bart

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 04:46:54 PM »
Apple Cider Vinegar works very well ! When you have the part prepped and thoroughly degreased you can suspend the part over the vinegar using a sreen or panty hose will work. Next put a lid over the part and poke a small hole in the center to vent the gas off over the part.

This works really well, producing a nice patina, especially after you have applied a brass black or 44-40 and rubbed it back with steel wool, then do the vinegar process and this will hide the marks from the wool and leave a nice patina. Good luck

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 04:51:19 PM »
Apple Cider Vinegar works very well ! When you have the part prepped and thoroughly degreased you can suspend the part over the vinegar using a sreen or panty hose will work. Next put a lid over the part and poke a small hole in the center to vent the gas off over the part.

This works really well, producing a nice patina, especially after you have applied a brass black or 44-40 and rubbed it back with steel wool, then do the vinegar process and this will hide the marks from the wool and leave a nice patina. Good luck

Does the vinegar (acetic acid) leech copper from the brass as ammonia does?  If not, this may be a safer way to get the same effect??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »
Tim......maybe I have been fortunate, but I have never had a problem with ammonia.    I have put parts in an enclosed
container overnight many, many times and it gives them a nice, tarnished look.   Will shine them with 0000 steel wool,
and they look great.   Over the years I have never had a problem doing this................Don

roundball

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »
Fairly new product called Birchwood Casey Antique Brown M38
(for antiquing brass)

745008 ANTIQUE BROWN GEL 8OZ BIRCHWOOD CASEY M38 1 $13.99

http://www.sculpt.com/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 06:04:24 PM by roundball »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 12:05:17 AM »
Tim......maybe I have been fortunate, but I have never had a problem with ammonia.    I have put parts in an enclosed
container overnight many, many times and it gives them a nice, tarnished look.   Will shine them with 0000 steel wool,
and they look great.   Over the years I have never had a problem doing this................Don

I think maybe the overnight is about the max (24 hrs) I left a patchbox sideplate for a coupe of days and it became pretty brittle.  But 24 hours does a great job, I think.

The Meth lab dummies  have been using old propane cylinders for their ammonia..... not understanding that it destroys the brass valves..... surprise!!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 01:29:56 AM »
Shoot the gun and get some powder fouling on the brass. It will age where it should be aged and stay shiny where it should be shiny. Treating he brass makes the gun look like someone blackened the brass rather than actually using the gun.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

DTCoffin

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 12:01:36 PM »
I'm with  Mr.Harris,After it's been shot a few times, it should develope its own patina.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 05:18:36 PM »
What is the correct procedure for aging brass to where it looks sort of antique?

Thanks,

Martin
I'd bet the farm that you will get better informed answers; but heck assuming you are referring to a rifle - just use the old gal and the b powder and your grimmy hands will darken her soon enough.... (Blood, tears and sweat help also) ::)

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 06:33:24 PM »
Martin,

This subject comes up repeatedly, and there's no question that normal use, and BP fowling will surely darken the brass, but if you're looking a for more specific effect, such as this by Jim Kibler:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vb_Yo_ELC48/SwX0CsC7j5I/AAAAAAAATy8/Lv-Q3jRoAPw/s1600/IMG_0832.jpg

You probably want something a little more controllable.

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:35:11 PM by Jeff Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell