Author Topic: Original rifle Where from ???  (Read 12865 times)

Offline Dave B

Original rifle Where from ???
« on: June 25, 2008, 05:44:10 AM »
I had posted this photo a long while back and wanted to get your feed back as to if any one else has seen this type of set trigger adjustment?

Other photos may help with a geographic understanding.

The one on the bottom of the line up  is the one of interest on these next photos

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Agent 006

Re: Original rifle Where from ???
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 06:02:27 PM »
Dave B.:
I usually stay out of these discussions as someone always chimes in that my response was "wrong" and just plain "stupid", but anyway, I think the gun was from the Bedford or Somerset area of PA or maybe even Fulton or Huntingdon Counties.  As far as the set trigger adjustment screw, I personally have not seen such an arrangement but assuming gunmakers in these areas made their own locks and set triggers long after other makers began purchasing them, the arrangment seems plausible.  Is this a single set or a double set type of set trigger?

Anyway tis a beautiful gun.  I thought I recognized the eagle on the cheekpiece as Whisker and Yantz (2001) depicted a number of stylized eagles in their book describing the makers in these counties.  However, review of their text found no similar eagles.  As popuular as these guns are, I'm surprised no one has chimed in already with a response.
Jim

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 10:09:56 PM »
Jim,
Thanks for your input. The patch box is exactly the same as many Bedford patch boxes. The lock was originally flint at one time but it apears it was reused on this gun.
Any additional thoughts would be helpful.
Dave Blaisdell

lew wetzel

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 04:09:01 AM »
it really looks like a joseph mills rifle according to the cheek piece eagle.he was from bedford co.pa.was born in 1790 and listed as a major gunsmith.very nice rifle...

Ephraim

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 02:50:35 AM »
It looks a lot like a Jakob Earnest that I copied a few years ago. but could be from any where around bedford co.
Ephraim

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:08:07 AM »
When I was at the KRA meeting I was able to look through their library and found the exact same eagle in the Metzger-Wisker longrilfes of Maryland They had just the federal eagle plates on one page and the matching plate was made by Hiram Clark. One of the members told me he thought one of the Trautmans had made it. Benjamin did his apprenticeship with George Rizer in Maryland. The intersting thing is so did Hiram Clark.
Now just earlier today on of the new KRA members says that he's seen a similar rifle and is sending me some photos of it. He thinks that it is made by James Clark, Hirams older brother who also did and apprenticeship With George Riser in Cumberland.
Can any one E-mail me a photo of the Federal eagles from the Longrifles of Maryland book?
Dave Blaisdell

lew wetzel

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 04:03:59 PM »
dave,i can when i get off work today.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 05:43:36 AM »
Thanks Lew.
I look forward to getting it. It seems that there will all ways be books a person needs to get.
Dave Blaisdell

lew wetzel

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 06:05:17 AM »
dave,i got my book out and studied all the cheek piece eagles and i think this one by jacob brigle is the closest.hope this helps.

lew wetzel

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 06:18:06 AM »
dave,heres a pic of one of his rifles.

lew wetzel

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 06:27:00 AM »
dave,one more rifle and the patch box is almost perfect..

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:39:03 AM by lew wetzel »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 05:35:12 PM »
Lew,
Thanks for the Post. Those patch boxes are right on. I have all ways liked the folk artsy style of these eagles. This one is a great example. The eagle done by Hiram Clark is the one I really need. It is exactly the same as mine.
Dave Blaisdell

lew wetzel

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 10:35:20 PM »
dave,i didnt see any by h.clark in my book.the jacob briegle rifle is really close to yours.even the trigger quard.are you sure it was made by h.clark.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 11:25:17 PM »
I am not sure about who built it. All I am saying is it was interesting to see a documented federal eagle that is obviously made by or by some one very close to him. Who knows maybe just as we some times find someone to engrave a rifle for us, that they did have a plate engraved to be used on a rifle not made by the engraver.

Dave Blaisdell

lew wetzel

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 11:53:18 PM »
dave ,look at the screw pattern in the patch box and the trigger quard and even the radius of the comb.i quess this is one of the most fascinating things about originals.unlocking by detail the mystery of who built it.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 03:17:54 AM »
Just an up date on this rifle. One of the KRA members called me to let me know he thinks the rifle is made by Hiram Clark's Brother James. He did his apprenticeship with George Riser in Cumberland as well then moved up to the Somerset PA area. He sent me the copy of the Page from out of the Maryland long rifles of Hirams Eagle Plate that matches  mine and the patch box engraving of the Clark rifle  is also patterned very much like mine.

The last patch box is from James Clarks rifle pictured in the book by Wisker & Yantz on Bedford Fulton Huntington and Somerset Co's
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:46:00 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

lew wetzel

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »
i have that book and i didnt see that,i better go back through it page by page....

Offline t.caster

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 07:46:44 PM »
Dave B, Good discussion, and I hate to derail it, but what do you know about the maker of the TOP rifle in your 4 rifle collection? I aquired one JUST like it last year! Maybe it warrants a new thread.
Tom C.