Author Topic: Help with ID on Swivel Breach  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Tom Moore

Help with ID on Swivel Breach
« on: May 02, 2010, 06:11:24 PM »
Hi Guys, I am hoping that someone can help me ID this swivel breach rifle. There is a name on the barrel but it has been almost completely rubbed out. It looks like it is approximately 9 letters long. It may start with a “C” or an “O”. The 3rd letter could be an “R” or “K” and then it looks like a UM?S??. Anyway, it has an unusual swivel mechanism with a push button on top of the tang that releases the barrels to swivel. I’m hoping that feature may help identify the maker. It is 47 inches long with 30 ½ inch barrels. It weighs 11 ½ lbs. Both barrels are rifled and approximately 44 caliber. The furniture is german silver. There is a hardware store lock with the name: ?? & CO. There is a tiny copper or brass wedge that is inlayed into the stock between the lock and cap box that is held in place with a couple of brass nails. It is surely a later addition. The trigger guard has been repaired at least twice. The first repair looks to be very well done with a german silver patch riveted and soldered in place. The second repair is crudely soldered back together with globs of solder apparent. The stock is walnut. There is a threaded hole in the tang for a lollypop rear sight. Both of the rear sights have been moved 3 inches further up the barrels and may be replacements.  Any insight you can give me would be appreciated, Thanks, -Tom

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Help with ID on Swivel Breach
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:16:50 PM »
I really have no proof but it looks kind of New Yorkish to me.

BGC

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:19:10 PM »
After blowing the signature up to about 350%, it looks to me like that first letter could/might possibly be a G.   Looks like I could also make out maybe an E.

Offline Tom Moore

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I skimmed through my Sellers under "O", "C" and now "G" but no one was listed as making a swivel breach. I also think New York or Michigan. It has that kind of look. -Tom

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 01:27:55 AM »
Go over the lettering with a lead pencil or yellow crayon.  Gently wipe it off.  With a loupe or magnifying glass, examine the letters from the side instead of face on.  Rotate the barrel until you get the best definition.  (Remember the old trick of reading a word that is a foot high and half an inch wide)
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Tom Moore

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:35:08 AM »
Thanks Dave, I tried that. That's what got me the few letters that I "think" I have. I will be attending the Denver show for the first time this year and I will have it there if anyone is around and wants to see it. -Tom