Author Topic: Manfred Schmitz folding knife  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Manfred Schmitz folding knife
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:33:39 PM »
I noticed the Manfred Schmitz folding knife on the makers blog with great interest.  I have a twin of the knife, purchased maybe 20 years ago at Friendship.  I do not know or remember the man who sold the knife to me.  Can anyone tell me about Manfred Schmitz?  Does he attend Friendship?  Are there any markings that would identify Manfred's work?  Mine is marked "#2".

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Eric Fleisher

• E. Fleisher Shot Pouches
Re: Manfred Schmitz folding knife
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:40:13 PM »
I met Manfred Schmitz this past February at the 18th Century Artisan Show in Lewisburg.  He flew in from Germany to attend the show. He actually supplied many of the photos on the Artisan Show website this year.  I had an email address for him.  I will find it for you.  Stand by.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 09:46:35 PM by Eric Fleisher »

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Re: Manfred Schmitz folding knife
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 04:45:10 PM »
Hi Eric,
Thanks for the email.  I received a reply from Mr. Schmitz explaining that he did not make the knife.  It would have been fun, after all these years, to find out that he had. But the knife is a favorite of mine no matter who the maker was.  An original is pictured in Grant's book, The Knife in Homespun America, on page 160 (PK-23).
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.