Author Topic: What engraving videos would you recommend?  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
What engraving videos would you recommend?
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:00:13 AM »
I've bought the Linsay graver sharpening system and it works as a dream. I've bought the book "the basics of firearms engraving". But my engraving skills still stink.

I've been trying to do a strait lines in mild steel. I can't get the lines strait, with uniform depth and width. I think I'm digging to deep with the graver. I have not been able to find any courses in any type of engraving here in Norway. So I have to try to learn this by trial an error.

Which engraving videos would you recommend?

Best regards

Rolfkt

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: What engraving videos would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:09:56 AM »
I've bought the Linsay graver sharpening system and it works as a dream. I've bought the book "the basics of firearms engraving". But my engraving skills still stink.

I've been trying to do a strait lines in mild steel. I can't get the lines strait, with uniform depth and width. I think I'm digging to deep with the graver. I have not been able to find any courses in any type of engraving here in Norway. So I have to try to learn this by trial an error.

Which engraving videos would you recommend?

Best regards

Rolfkt

Lynton McKenzie. They will save you a lot of money.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Captchee

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »
Rolfkt

I would go back over to Steve’s  web sight . There you will find a number of very good books . Some of them on line  and free for down load .
 Most books I have read  will not teach you the  ins and outs of depth control.   doesn’t mater if the books are about chase  or push engraving . Learning that  takes time and practice .
 there are a number of folks just learning there as well . so ask . you will get help . again do take a look at the list of reading material steve has posted  .

Also
 While  Steves web site can be alittle intimidating to post on  do to the number of very, VERY experienced  engravers .  I know of non who will not help you out or give you pointers .
 there also are a number of beginner engravers there . so jump in and ask .
again take advantage of the Online  books steve has posted as well as his online Videos. they will help you

As  to your graver .
 The Lindsey graver .
As you know the hammer stroke is adjustable. I would suggest try turning the   it down .  It then becomes less  likely to dive . If your running  with all the ports open and on high pressure , it will literally   drive itself  out of sight  if you cant hold the angle .
 As to width .   Im guessing but  it sounds like ,to me,  your having an issue with  holding a consistent  brace “ ie keeping the graver at a consistent angle . Also  regardless of  the use of the foot peddle or the hand control , Constant speed is important . If suddenly you give the graver more power    it will dive deeper .
 Also  if you don’t have a sharpening  system “ I highly recommends Steves system “
  What can happen is if one of your angles is off ,  the graver will act like a car that’s out of alignment . Thus it continually will want to pull away . A chipped point acts the same way so  always check to make sure  your graver tips are  true , sharp and clean

When I first got my Lindsay  I found  I wanted to grip the  graver  to tight .  Simply  put , the grave has a lot of power . But its so smooth  that you don’t need to really grip it . You can actually hold it with 2 fingers and she will cut very smooth  and even . So work on  keeping the angle of your hold consistent.
As to strait lines .
 The two hardest things to free hand are a circle and a strait line   .
 With a circle and scroll work  a good turn table  is a must .
 But strait lines are another subject . There simple is no  short cut to practice .
 Strait lines have to be IMO one of the hardest things to accomplish . The longer the line . The harder it is
 One of the things that helped me ,this seems simple but  here is what I did .
 Draw a  strait line with a ruler , then follow the line .
  Try your best to stay on course  and control the angle .

Another thing I do is  to lay a piece of  thick tape  down   just outside the line . I look down and  follow the  edge of the tape  with the corner of the engraver . IE I don’t concentrate on the tip but the side of the engraver .
  On the next practice plate I do  I try and do it free hand as much as possible.  Thus I try and train my eye  and hand to better work together.

Here is a practice plate I just recently did  on aluminum from  a broken lawn chair a fella had  .
 Now  I will be the first to say it sucks .

I did not have a turn table  when I did this . Nor did I have my vice . It was kind of a spur of the moment  deal  to show what the lendsey  would do .  This was cut out side , by a fire , on a log . Using a  board with a nail in it as a  turn table  . the lindsey was powered by   paint ball gun  cylinder .

So" PLEASE  know im showing this to you so as  you can see  the importance of a good working  equipment .

Notice how the scroll work has flat spots . This is do to the wobble of the turn table  compounded by the fact I could not re center the piece .  The plate was also nailed to the board  IE it was fixed permanently .

Now notice the strait lines.  see how the walk up at the upper end .
Again this relates to  what I was using  as a  engraving table . The further I got away from my center  the less ability I had to properly control  the graver . Thus it walked because  my eye was  not  looking at a good angle ..
 My point is . IMO you have   the very best Pneumatic hammer gravers on the market  . Having the correct  tools  to help you along  will   help you  more then you will ever  know .
 But they do not take the place of  practice
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:32:01 PM by Captchee »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 05:23:57 PM »
I second the Linton tapes.  Wallace Gussler has one produced by American Pioneer Video called Engraving the Kentucky rifle. The majority of engraving in most colonial shops was done with a square graver but it is the most unforgiving for in that any change of the tool depth makes it very obvious in thickness of line. I was shown that an Onglett graver has more vertical sides and will make your line work less variable.  The other thing that you must have is good magnification. When you are sharpening your tools check them under a powerful magnifier. You are looking for the angles at the tip to be symmetrical and the center line of the tool must run clear to the end with the bevels in perfect mirror of one another joined on the center line. If you are not able to cut a straight line it is more than likely you have a deviation of the point center line. It makes it great for making a left turn but not so much with borders.  Once I had found out this it really helped my cutting. Most people cut too deeply to begin with, I know I did.
Just get lots of practice in with good sharp tools with good center line geometry and go for it.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Captchee

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 05:34:53 PM »
 well said Dave

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I'll check my graver tip for symmetri and keep on practicing.

Captchee, I only have the sharpening system. I'm using a square graver and a chasing hammer. I'll be very happy the day I can do something like your practice plate. but I fever I have a long way to go before I get there.

How does Brooks engraving video compare to Guslers video?

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Captchee

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:02:51 PM »
 if you have not given it a try yet .  give steves  improved graver  a try . it is truly wonderful  both in his graver and when used as eather a push or a chase graver

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 03:46:13 AM »
Rolf,
You might have to adjust the angle of the heel if you have diving problems.
Think of the heel on the graver as the keel on a boat. To check, hold your graver like you would if you were engraving, and with an adjustable protractor, measure the angle that you're holding the graver. You want the heel ground about that same angle.
If you using a square tool ground at 90 degree, you could try grinding the tool at 70 degrees. This will give less variance in line width as the graver goes down and up in the metal.
Last, and not least, cutting a straight line is difficult!! No two ways about it. The only way to learn to cut a good straight line is to practice til your eyeballs fall out! Cutting a perfect straight line will take many repetitions of eyeballs falling out!
Also, to cut anything have decently, you'll need a way to turn the work. You can do this with an engraving vice that is turnable, or you can mount the work on some sort of turntable. Another way to do it is to make a heavy duty post or tripod with a stationary vice on top to hold the work, then walk around the post and work as you engrave it.
By far the easiest is an engraving vice, but the price is a bit heavy at $350/500.
John
John Robbins

Fred

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 01:31:41 PM »
I want to thank you gents for these posts I just wish I had been exposed to this stuff before the eyes and hands went south truly amazing stuff thanks again.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »

Same here Fred .
And thank you for the kind words
 that’s one of the reasons I  really like my Lindsey  classic.
 I can hold it and it doesn’t hurt my hand like the GSR I had did .
 I  also have issues with my eyes .
So I picked me up a  visor that has 3 flip down magnification lenses in it  .
 It didn’t not cost much ??? If I recall 10 dollars. But it really helps me see better  . It also is strong enough for me to see  and inspect the  points  for chips and breaks

if you have steves sharpening system, do you have the templates ?
If so  the sharpening templates will set the angle of the heel   as well as all other angles for you
 But its important you use his jig  so as to set the  graver  at the right length .
 If the  jig is to small for your graver blanks . I would contact steve . Tell him you problem . Im sure he can  make you up one to fit you size graver blank
  Do you have a turn table and vice ?
 If not ,   as was stated by other posters . These will help you .  Manufactured ones do cost . But there are ways to make your own as well as any number of plans out there to make very nice set ups

Keep practicing ,,, don’t give up

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:27:04 PM by Captchee »