Author Topic: swamped barrel question  (Read 4873 times)

stancarlson62

swamped barrel question
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:57:04 PM »
hello everyone, I'm getting ready to order some parts from TOW and was wondering what are the advantages of a swamped barrel compared to a straight barrel, any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: swamped barrel question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »
From a shooter's and not a builder's viewpoint: less weight and potential for better balance and a steadier hold.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 04:23:09 PM »
Also, if you want an authentic, or close copy of an early rifle, basically one built prior to 1800,  it should have a swamped
barrel.    Straight sided barrels became rather common after about 1810-1820 when they started to manufacture them
in a more modern method.   The early swamped barrels were almost all hand forged............Don

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:32:19 PM »
Its traditional for an American rifle, almost any American gun before the advent of the eastern gun factorys will have a swamped or tapered barrel.
You order the swamp and build the gun, you will know why
For one thing it allows a heavy breech for breeching and the other work done there and still have a rifle with good balance and much lighter weight than if the barrel was straight.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:59:44 PM »
If you are within driving distance of Benton, Pa. I would be glad to let you handle two equal weight rifles- one swamped and one straight. You'll probably never look at a straight barrel again.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:38:23 PM »
I may as well buck the trend here as I am prone to do......Rightly or wrongly.

My ol Getz is 39 1/2 .45 (near a .46 seems like) 15/16th straight and is my mainstay rifle for offhand, X stix, sometimes bench and chunk when my chunk gun is verboten!  Not being patient enough and when I try to use my Schuetzen or my swamped .45 I find them a bit too light up front and want to do the ol figure eights!
So, I stick with the ol reliable.   I do admit that the swamped rifle and even the Schuetzen are better balanced.  I also admit to having the straight barreled rifle slugged with lead in the butt to move the balance point back abit over 1 1/2 in.

I admitted too much already! ;D

jwh1947

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 06:50:56 AM »
My mainstay barrel--Getz Light Dickert, ranging from standard 42-44" and occasionally a 46 1/2".  My records show that target shooters buy more .45's and deer hunters more .50's.  They are the most popular around here, by far. 

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 02:41:57 PM »
  Another advantage is the the wide breech tapering forward allows for much better architecture with a wider stringer wrist and more strength in the wood around the lock.