Author Topic: What this country needs is a good $1.00...  (Read 9597 times)

jwh1947

What this country needs is a good $1.00...
« on: May 04, 2010, 12:34:47 AM »
Perhaps that caught your attention, and I'm not talking cigars!  What we need is a good flint, napped correctly, and sold for a buck.  I like English, others like French, and I now can't discern...both reliable and, if correct to the firearm, both eminently acceptable.  

Hey, they are stone.  Yes, special stone, but you guys in other parts of the country, and say Argentina and UK, where we have (or had) correspondents on ALR, lets get some good rock out there for $1.00.  Just dreamin' after 1/8 bottle of Rakija...my fantasy.  Wayne
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:00:50 PM by richpierce »

omark

Re: What this country needs is a good $1.00...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 02:51:08 AM »
rich pierce, a member on this site sells flints that everyone seems to rave about. i havent tried them myself but intend to correct that little oversight soon. 

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:03:40 AM »
You can't beat Richs flints for quality and price . Just my 2 cents worth!
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

dannylj

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 05:03:39 AM »
Count me as an avid Pearce fint fan. They look good, spark well, and you can't beat the price (or guarantee).  Danny

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 06:43:55 PM »
Me three, Can't beat Rich's flints for price or quality.
Mark
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 07:31:59 PM »
I used to get between 25 and 100 shots from an English flint. The odd one would fracture on the first shot, giving only that one shot.  Some locks prefered bevel up, some bevel down.

I get between 50 and 200 shots from Rich's flints. The odd one will fracture on the first shot, givng only that one shot. Some locks prefer bevel up, some bevel down.  I find Rich's flints to be a bit rougher knapped (less pretty?) than most of the English flints, but fewer need to be flattened on the top surface with a green stone, ie: fewer humptybumps.  Too- they seem much harder and are more difficult to knap, however they seem to self-knap better than English flints.   I haven't used any French flints and as long as I can get both English or Rich's, I don't need to. 

S'far as I'm concerned, they are the very best value for the buck.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 12:36:38 AM »
I agree; they are a bargain.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 07:04:18 PM »

I get between 50 and 200 shots from Rich's flints. The odd one will fracture on the first shot, givng only that one shot. Some locks prefer bevel up, some bevel down.  I find Rich's flints to be a bit rougher knapped (less pretty?) than most of the English flints, but fewer need to be flattened on the top surface with a green stone, ie: fewer humptybumps.  Too- they seem much harder and are more difficult to knap, however they seem to self-knap better than English flints.   I haven't used any French flints and as long as I can get both English or Rich's, I don't need to. 

S'far as I'm concerned, they are the very best value for the buck.

I have made and used  flints from the same white chert that Rich uses. They do make good flints. They are harder than the English flints and they seem to spark much better, but will wear a frizzen faster. However, better sparking frizzens are cheap compared to the cost of most hunts and serious shoulder to shoulder matches.

IMHO, everything is a trade off. With Riches flints you get longer life and better sparks, but will have to replace the frizzen more often. I got spare frizzens.  ;)

God bless

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 11:26:33 PM »
A frizzen can be re-ground, ie; re-surfaced, with an 8" grinder matching the curvature nicely.  Many don't have to be re-hardened, but if so re-casing with casenit is very easy - anyone with a propane torch can do it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:31:44 PM by Daryl »

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 09:27:49 PM »
I wish I had time to wear out a frizzen, or even put some new scratches on it, LOL! ;D
Andover, Vermont

jwh1947

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 04:58:51 AM »
No problem with the move to "black powder" but, you see, isn't it all a matter of perspective?  I put it under "gun building" because I build guns, use many flints, and want to please my customers.  I have picked up some cool info. on flints here.  Of all the "little things' that seem to cause problems are flints my customers replace with from retail stores and showplace nappers that just don't work.  I like to keep some really good ones on hand.

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 04:16:03 PM »
I really lucked out several years ago,  someone from a group I participated  had a chance to buy the black English flints at the source if they would take a very high volume,  A bunch of us "chipped" in and then divided them up and I ended up with several hundred in rifle and fowler sizes, more than my grandkids will use up at around 30 to 40 cents apiece.  The biggest advantage according to my daughter (a teenager then) was not having to wait around while I picked through boxes of flints at events to get ones I liked.

so - cheap enough to toss if I only get 20 shots and less frizzen wear, a win win.
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 05:01:33 PM »
Well, you can always buy the nice, sawn agate Thompson Center 'flints'.  They come in a pack of 3 for $18.95 locally.

I'd rather use Rich's flints or the more expensive English flints, myself.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 10:29:43 PM »
If you like nice flints, Mike Lea is selling some very nice French amber flints.  The Frenchman doesn't have a gauge yet so most of them are sort of square instead of 1/8" longer than wide, as most of us are used to.  Mike is going to send the guy a gauge.  These are like jewelry, and if you don't mind spending a couple dollars extra when selling a new rifle, or whenever, I'd recommend them highly. Stonewall Traders have the best, most uniform English flints I have ever seen.

But I am a cheap son of a gun so I'll keep chipping away on rocks I find laying wound the ground here in Missouri.
Andover, Vermont

Harnic

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 12:54:39 AM »

But I am a cheap son of a gun so I'll keep chipping away on rocks I find laying wound the ground here in Missouri.

Keep chippin' Rich!  Your flints are working great for those of us who've tried them! :)

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 05:46:30 AM »

Keep chippin' Rich!  Your flints are working great for those of us who've tried them! :)

Absolutely!  Personally I can't see any reason to buy any other flints since I can get my flints from Rich.  I'm completely sold on them. :)

tljack

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 05:42:17 AM »
...........Sooooo...........how do I get hold of Rich to buy some flints from him?

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 06:55:22 AM »
This is Rich's ad in the;  "ALR Member Read only Ads"

Wasn't sure how to just post a link to the ad.

New Pricing April 1, 2010
Made from local white to gray rock, these are rough, tough, and sparky.
1/2" wide x 5/8" long are $12 per dozen.
5/8" wide x 3/4" long are $12 per dozen
3/4" wide x 7/8" long are $15 per dozen
7/8" wide x 1" long are $15 per dozen
1" wide x 1 and 1/8" long are $18 per dozen
1 and 1/8" wide x 1 and 1/4" long are $18 per dozen.
Shipping and handling is generally $1.50 for the first dozen, more for larger sizes.  2 dozen usually costs $2, etc.
I'll need your name and address in an email with "flints" in the subject
line, and will send you the flints for your inspection with an invoice.  If
these work for you, you can pay by cash, check, or money order.  If not what you need, just return them, no questions asked.
Please email me directly: longtrekflints@gmail.com
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:58:07 AM by Candle Snuffer »