Author Topic: Survival Matches - My Favorite Shooting Game  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Survival Matches - My Favorite Shooting Game
« on: September 05, 2008, 03:43:21 AM »
The members of my AMM party and myself have always liked to enter survival type matches. some of these matches were three day, 24 hour per day matches. Meaning you where not "safe" and able to relax even during the night. Not only were your shooting skills tested, but also your knowledge of all the skills needed to survive on the 18th and 19th century frontier. You have to be alert at all times and you definately need to know your skills and knowledge of nature.

We also sponsored a couple of survival matches ourselves. The members of my party would start having monthly planning meetings 6 months before the actual date of the match. Three months before the match we would start having meetings every two weeks and the last 6 weeks to a month before the match we would meet every week. Setting up the actual match usually took us two full weekends before the match. To tell you the truth, planning and running a survival match was actually more fun then participating in one.

Prizes always included hand made items by members of the party. We would have scrimshawed horns and priming horns, hand forged knives and hawks, and handmade leather shooting bags among other prizes. We never charged an entry fee.

Our matches, like everyone we went to, started out with a scenario that every participant was given when he arrived. Ours were always a "call to arms" to all militia to fight the advancing Indians, the French, or the British.

At our last match the participants were held at a specified and each participant was allowed to advance to receive his scenario and start the match. The first thing the scenerio said was that just before arriving on the scene the participant had a canoe turn over in rushing water and they lost part of their gear. We had previously weighed everyone of our members with and without their gear and arrived at an average of 29 pounds of gear including their guns. As we brought each participant up to get started we weighed them with their gear and without their gear and told them they had lost everything but 29 pounds of gear. We then gave them the choice of dumping whatever gear they wanted to. This is where the mind game starts. One guy gave up his blankets. Another gave up all his food. One guy had to lose 67 pounds of gear to get down to 29 pounds of gear. Boy did he give up a lot of stuff. I had never met this guy before and he was pretty ticked off at me when I told him he had to lose 67 pounds. after they shed enough each one was told he could only take five rounds of ammo, either balls or shot, their choice. We put the extra rounds they gave up into brain tanned drawstring bags with a hand engraved brass token tied to the string. When the match was all over they got to keep the brain tanned bags and tokens. We then started each participant off on a walk that had several Indian targets hidden in the woods and several 12 gauge blank cannons that "shot back" at the participants if they passed the target without seeing or shooting at it. Every time through the whole match we gave them two balls or loads of shot if they hit the target and none if they missed the target. When some of them got down to having no balls or shot they could get a ball by correctly answering a question about 18th century trivia. When all the participants got through the walk in the woods we told them to take their powder horns and lay a 12 foot line of powder on the ground and light it off to see whose line of powder burnt the fastest. Those who elected, in the beginning, to carry a large full horn or an extra powder horn still had plenty of powder left for the next two days and others didn't. However, not being total a$$holes we would let them trade round balls for powder if thats what they wanted. We camped them in a near swamp the first night and the guys who gave up blankets had a bad night with all the mosquitoes. We had them make a ball and shoot it at a target. Many of them were not carrying a bag mold, too bad. One enterprising guy poked his finger into the ground for a mold and melted some lead shot in his small skillet. Others had a mold that didn't match the caliber of their gun and pounded the oversize ball down into an elongated slug that they could shoot.

We had collected 15 different kinds of skat and laid them out for the participants to identify. We had them make cordage from local materials, but many didn't know how. We had them load and shoot prone over the log while under a lattice work of cups of water that was only 2.5 feet about them. Some of them got a little wet and others couldn't figure how to get powder down their barrels while laying down. We built a fort like structure with shooting ports and had 7-8 Indian targets that were operated by strings and pulleys. The targets appeared and disappeared every three seconds. They had two minutes to locate and shoot as many targets as possible, if they had any balls to shoot. We had teams of three start a fire with gathered materials and flint and steel. The minute they started to get a flame we pulled out three of those pump up sprayers and tried to put their flame out. You never know when it is going to rain. We had them do tree and plant identification. We had them make and set snares and deadfalls and a host of other tests of skills.

Since we only had one thing left to do on Sunday we decided we would feed everybody and cooked up bacon and eggs and lots of biscuits and gravy for everyone.

The final event on Sunday which was a fire fight with the Indians was the test the participants like best of all. Lots of hollering and yelling and general excitement. We had placed 40 flat stakes out in a meadow like bushy area that they could see from a 30 foot long firing line. They were allowed to move up or down the firing line to get better shots at some of the tiles. Each stake had a number on it that was covered by a 6 inch square clay tile. There were two stakes with number 1 on them and two stakes with number 2 on them and so forth. Each participant was given back his bag of balls and were assigned a randomly drawn number. As the tiles were shot the numbers on the stakes were revealed. If your assigned number was 1 and a tile was broken to reveal the number 1 that man was considered wounded. If both number 1's were revealed that guy was dead and had to leave the firing line. The guys really liked this type of competition.

We had twenty, mostly hand made, prizes laid out on a blanket for the winners to choose from. Sadly, only 6 men had showed up for the match so we decided to go ahead and give out all twenty prizes to the six guys who showed up.

This match, like all survival matches, took a lot of planning and setup. With only 6 men showing up we decided to forego sponsoring any more survival matches. The two top participants at this match were from the same club up in Michigan. The very next year they sponsored a three day survival match and myself and a couple of my guys went up to participate. Their survival was a whole lot different than ours had been and was a lot of fun. They gave out beads for doing everything and at the end the guy with the most beads won. The participants were sitting in line on a path and they were going down the line and counting everyones beads. I heard things like "Oh, John won, he has 19 beads" and someone else "no, George has at least 20 beads". I was the last one in line and when they counted my beads I had 29. Made me feel real good that an old man could out shoot and out think all those younger guys. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am near blind without my glasses and the first day of the event I capsized a canoe and lost my glasses. I guess I should have said a "blind" old man out shoot and out thunk all the younger guys.

Maybe this will give some of you guys who set up woods walks some ideas. Almost any of the individual events we had in that three days could be adapted to a woods walk.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Longknife

Re: Survival Matches - My Favorite Shooting Game
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 05:10:39 PM »
Congrats Randy, I guess you showed "em!!!!! I also like setting up survival shoots. I would ususly have 4 man teams, moving targets, targets you were NOT supposed to shoot.(an ally, preacher or lady) I even made some little 20 ga. cannons that would shoot blank loads and the targets would shoot back at you!!!!! I was fornute to have a weldind shop instructor in the club that made MANY steel targets that would reset themselves, real easy to score, LOTS of FUN. We always set this shoot up the first weekend of Februrary and called it the Frozen Arse Rondevous, and some times it did!!!!!!!!...Ed
Ed Hamberg

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 05:13:54 PM »
What an interesting and fun match.   Way to go Randy.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:23:06 PM »
This thread also reminds me of the first woods walk I participated on at Fort De Chartre. It was about '82 or '83, I had my first flinter, a 12 gauge trade gun. I was shooting with my good friend Steve who was shooting a shortened Charleville. We  picked up two more people, can't remember their names but we all had smoothbores. The other two were the first to "DIE" and we chucked all our gear and took their guns and shot pouches. We were shooting mostly buck n' ball loads. I "died' next on a missed tomahawk throw but Steve made it to the end with the highest score and our team WON the durned thing!!!!!!! ....Ed
Ed Hamberg

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 01:40:11 AM »
That sound like fun, Randy. I wish I lived close enough to make that event.

Like Ed, I have also competed in Ft. DeChartre annual woodswalk for many years. While that event is not as intense as Randy's 24 hour survival match, it can be an intense  hour to an hour and a half in the woods.

The "boys" I run with have hosted the woodswalk several times over the years, but we don't seem to be quite as devious as Randy, but we have received a good cussin' from more than one competitor.  And Randy is right, it is much more fun to host, set up, and score such an event.

We had one target about 3/4 of the way through one of our woodswalks where people became hesitant to advance to the firing line. One competitor ask, "What are you going to do to us this time?"  I love it when competitors get gun shy. ;D

One other participant refused to hold his very expensive powderhorn in a 5 gallon bucket of water for a minute, after missing a shot.  :o

With Randy's permission, I will copy his narrative for future reference. I especially like the idea of restricting the amount of gear competitors carry, and requiring the participants to cast and shoot a ball that fits their gun.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 03:51:32 AM »
With Randy's permission, I will copy his narrative for future reference. I especially like the idea of restricting the amount of gear competitors carry, and requiring the participants to cast and shoot a ball that fits their gun.

J.D.,

Sure, use any of the ideas that I put forth in my post. We restricted the amount of gear that one could carry because most guys carry way to much. They just don't know what they actually need. This as everything we incorporated into the survival match was intended as a learning experience. The guys who's gear we weighed to determine an average weight of gear are all members of the AMM and are experienced trekkers.

I used the powder horn in the bucket of water years ago. One that we did at the survival was to have each participant plug his vent hole or nipple and we poured their barrels full of water. On the signal they had to empty and dry their barrels and then reload and actually hit a target. 

Before putting on the survival matches, I booshwayed 3 rendezvous each year for almost 12 years. Each of these rendezvous had a situational type woods walk like those at Fort De Chartres. I wrote a scenario for each of these woods walks and planned and ran them with one other guy. I hardly ever used things from one woods walk to another and still have tons of ideas that could be incorporated into woods walks or survival matches.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:55:38 AM by Randy Hedden »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 04:58:56 AM »
Randy and I organized the first ever International Internet WoodsWalk years ago.  You can follow along by clicking on the link below.  Each word that is underlined is a link containing more information.  Read them in sequence to get the whole picture.  The Strategies at the end of each station where added after the match was over.

http://members.aol.com/canaltwo/woodswalk/

The scenario and accompanying pictures are exactly where they would have been historically,  as is the historical information about the traders.

There are probably some members of this board who participated.  I know Doug Miller did.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 05:33:05 AM »
Although Dave and I both worked on the International Internet Woods Walk, Dave did most of the work on it. I remember that Dave and I only met once or twice to talk over ideas and then after that, Dave did all of the work to put this event on. So actually the credit for planning and running this great event goes to Dave.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 06:06:19 AM »

We restricted the amount of gear that one could carry because most guys carry way to much. They just don't know what they actually need. This as everything we incorporated into the survival match was intended as a learning experience. The guys who's gear we weighed to determine an average weight of gear are all members of the AMM and are experienced trekkers.

Ain't that the truth. We hosted a coupla woodswalks for the ALRA, and while some members are excellent shots and experience trekkers, too many were not. I was unpleasantly surprised at how few ALRA members were comfortable handling their guns in the woods, and especially under stress.

Some members did perform very well, many did not.

I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm bashing the ALRA and its membership. I have been a member for many years and there are a lot of good people on the roster. However, I have seen a wide variation in levels of woodscraft in the membership. Some members seem to want to look the part and a some want to live the part.

Speaking of carrying too much gear? We have taken a few newbies trekking near the old "Trail of Tears" and you should have seen their packs. We unloaded everyone's gear and had 'em pare down their loads before leaving the trail head, but they were still over loaded and poorly packed. One noob didn't secure his gear well and began dropping gear along the trail. We named that trek the "Trail of Gears." trek.

I have been too busy with school in the last coupla years to do any trekking. I have now graduated and am taking a break before beginning a Masters program in the spring. I've noticed that squirrels are thick in the woods, and need thinning. Gotta kill off those little methane gas generators to save the planet, now don't we. I think its time to get out for a few days to breath some fresh, clean air scented with woodsmoke and black powder smoke.

J.D.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 06:59:08 PM »
JD

Your group put on some of the best ever woodswalks at Ft. DC.  Weren't you the ones who had the tomahawk throwing machines that would fling a hawk at you if you didn't kill the Indian within 5 seconds?

It was definitely a process in "learning the game."  Our group always ended up winning the Spam for coming in last until I became team captain and organized my own.  I gathered a team who had never shot one before, but who listened to my strategies, and we actually placed 4th; and that was with a blind team member who had to have the targets pointed out to him before he could shoot them.  I haven't been back since I moved and I really miss those shoots.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 01:01:29 AM »
JD

Your group put on some of the best ever woodswalks at Ft. DC.  Weren't you the ones who had the tomahawk throwing machines that would fling a hawk at you if you didn't kill the Indian within 5 seconds?

It was definitely a process in "learning the game."  Our group always ended up winning the Spam for coming in last until I became team captain and organized my own.  I gathered a team who had never shot one before, but who listened to my strategies, and we actually placed 4th; and that was with a blind team member who had to have the targets pointed out to him before he could shoot them.  I haven't been back since I moved and I really miss those shoots.

Yeah, we had several targets that shot rubber tipped arrows at the shooter, and at least one that threw a rubber tomahawk. Scoring that woodswalk was one of the most fun things I have done.  We did have a coupla people get really angry because we did things they didn't expect. They experienced things they had never seen before and a few folks couldn't deal with it.  ;D

I'm sure they got over it...eventually.

The five of us  worked six weekends to plan, clear trails through the overgrown brush, make and set new targets, and fine tune the throwers. It took a LOT of work, but it was worth it. A lot of folks seem to remember the things we did to them, so that alone makes it worth while.  ;D

This years woodswalk may be the last. The powers that be have cut funding for state parks and historic sites, so as of October first, the fort is closed. Daryl has left the October F&I event and the November woodswalk  on the schedule and they  will take place, but after that, who knows.

I would hate to lose such a nice site for primitive events because of politics, but that may very well be the case.
J.D.