Author Topic: It is fixed.....  (Read 2294 times)

Offline PIKELAKE

It is fixed.....
« on: May 04, 2010, 06:15:40 PM »
About a month ago, I posted a problem that I had installing a vent liner. I drilled a ragged hole that nixed the idea of using that barrel. The stock was carved, stained, and finished. I bought a new barrel and breech plug. When I received the barrel I realized that to fit a new barrel to a completed stock was going to be a big job. The sights and barrel lugs were not the problem, fitting the plug tang to a finished stock was. Just for the heck of it I felt that if I could fit the original plug to the new barrel I would not screw up the stock in the breech area by trying and fitting the barrel two hundred times to get the tang contour right. Well I got real lucky  for a change. I worked for about two hours to fit the plug to the barrel and got it seated perfect, although I did loose about 1/32 of barrel which brings the nose cap closer the the end of the barrel; no big deal. I took birddogs advice and went with a 1/4 inch liner and "after buying a new drill bit" installed it with no problems. Some one had asked that I post my fix if and when I got it done. Well it is done, not a hard fix but an expensive one. I have a barrel that needs to be cut off and breached. I could send it back to the barrel company, they are busy making new barrels, I was thinking that there might be someone out there that does this kind of work and the wait might not be that long. Sorry for the long diatribe.....JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Cody Tetachuk

Re: It is fixed.....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »
Just for the heck of it I felt that if I could fit the original plug to the new barrel I would not screw up the stock in the breech area by trying and fitting the barrel two hundred times to get the tang contour right.

Uh.....yup! ;D
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=9495.0