Author Topic: Miniature Lancaster rifle  (Read 14428 times)

Paul Hamler

Miniature Lancaster rifle
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »

At the recent Tennessee KRA show I had several people suggest I post some pictures of my one third and one half scale locks. The miniature locks were scaled from a Golden Age Siler lock.
Additional photos of the locks and the construction process including the one third scale rifle  project can be found at http://hamlertools.smugmug.com  Look at the photos in the miniature Lancaster rifle folder.
Paul Hamler
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:46:41 PM by Paul Hamler »

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Miniature Lancaster rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:59:20 PM »
Paul,
I saw your progress at the CLA show last Aug.  I'm looking forward to seeing the completed lock and rifle.
That's some amazing work.
I love it,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:03:58 PM »
Paul,
        I notice in one of your pictures, you show a reproduction of a Christian Beck, Chambersberg rifle. Would you happen to have the dimensions from the original gun or know of someone that has them?
        Great pictures, going back to enjoy some more of them, thanks!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:45:50 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics and the link Paul.  They are  just amazing!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:51:13 PM »
Amazing work!!! Are these miniatures firing guns?
Do you sell locks?

Best regards
Rolfkt

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
Paul,
Welcome to the board and thanks for posting the pics.  Amazing work. Do you set up at Friendship? 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 12:32:44 AM »
Great looking locks! Let me know if you need some 1/3 scale flints, and I'll sharpen my fingers.  That would be 1/4" wide, I think.  LOL
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 01:33:21 AM »
Those are beauties!  I admire your skill and patience.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

S.Willis

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 01:56:09 AM »
Wow!! That really is amazing.

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 02:53:28 AM »
Paul,
Great work!  Those locks are amazing.
I'm building a youth rifle in about 80% scale and am finding the closer tolerances to be a challenge.  Smaller versions must be even less forgiving.
Good luck,
Larry Luck

Paul Hamler

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 04:47:58 AM »
Paul,
        I notice in one of your pictures, you show a reproduction of a Christian Beck, Chambersberg rifle. Would you happen to have the dimensions from the original gun or know of someone that has them?
        Great pictures, going back to enjoy some more of them, thanks!
Robby
Robbie,sorry I have no drawings or data ,the pictures were saved from one of the forums to be used as inspiration and input when I start engraving and carving the first batch of rifles.
Paul

Paul Hamler

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 05:00:44 AM »
Amazing work!!! Are these miniatures firing guns?
Do you sell locks?

Best regards
Rolfkt
The guns should fire if I ever get up enough nerve to try. The steel lock are cast in the same metal as the full size locks. I have installed a flint in one and it does spark. As for selling the locks I haven't decided if I'll sell castings or finished locks, one thing I have learned on this project is the price of a finished lock is a steal. I told Jim Chambers last week he was selling his locks too cheap.
The current priority is to finish the first production run of guns and then decide if I want to go into the miniature lock business.
A lot will depend on the number of  request for the locks.

Paul

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 05:07:38 AM »
So we are looking at .14 caliber ball with a .0045 patch, 18 gr of 9F powder and primed with about .7 gr of 12 F for prime ;D ;D

Offline Captchee

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 05:13:52 AM »
dang sir ,,,, very nice job .
are you using the Lindsey to carve with ?

Paul Hamler

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 05:39:25 AM »
Yes I am using the Lindsay Palm control for both engraving and carving. Some of the incised cuts are so small I had to make a vee gouge out of .028 drill rod. By transferring the art work from an ink jet printer onto the wood it makes micro carving with the micro scope a little easier.
Paul

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 07:13:23 AM »
Absolutely amazing, Paul. As to demand for your craft ... I would surely want to purchase at least two .. maybe more. Amazing work .. Thanks for sharing .. Bill

msw

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
wow- tremendous work!  if you ever do 'go commercial'  i've gotta get one of these!

Offline Captchee

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 05:14:53 PM »
Yes I am using the Lindsay Palm control for both engraving and carving. Some of the incised cuts are so small I had to make a vee gouge out of .028 drill rod. By transferring the art work from an ink jet printer onto the wood it makes micro carving with the micro scope a little easier.
Paul

fantastic  i was wondering how that would work  Koodoos to you . again well done

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 05:22:52 PM »
 Really neat, amazing. Thanks for posting the pics and Welcome to ALR.Com.

Tim C.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 05:56:47 PM »
If you ever start selling locks, I am definitely interested . The 1/2 scale could make a nice derringer lock.

Have you thought about making 3/4 scale lock ? That would have made a great pistol lock. There are few pistol locks on the market, and that would be a hot item.

Best regards

Rolf
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:09:04 PM by Rolfkt »

lew wetzel

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 12:36:28 AM »
that is really great work....bravo-zulu!!!!!rich,you will wear them fingers out chipping for those little locks...good luck!!

Paul Hamler

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 01:13:29 AM »

First off thanks for the feedback and comments on the miniature project it tends to give one the big head. I posted the above pictures to for the miniature small flint non believers...yes it is possible and I still have skin on my fingers.
because of the request I have received for miniature locks I will probably have to make a pile up later this year but now I am getting close to the fun part of this project(engraving and carving) and the lock production has 2nd priority).
Things are pretty busy here getting ready for the NRA national in Charlotte, as soon as I return I will be adding comments and information to the posted pictures on Smugmug and including a tool and fixture gallery that will hopefully have some ideas and teckniques for big and small gun builders.
Thanks
Paul  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:14:46 AM by Paul Hamler »

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 04:45:59 PM »
Hi Paul,

Glad to see you on the forum.  I noted your new email  address. I had attempted to send you something awhile back and had it bounce. The locks have progressed nicely.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 01:08:53 AM »
Paul,

Like a lot of others, I just might have to get one of those locks if you get around to it.

I guess a 1/2 size lock would probably cost half as much a full size one... wooooouldn't it?? ;D ;D

Awesome stuff!

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Paul Hamler

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 02:46:56 AM »
Maybe remove the 1 and / . You know they are 2 times harder to make. :'(
Seriously I won't be able to price them until I make a producton run, I have thought of offering the castings pre drilled with CNC accuracy and let the user assembly them but also offering a complete finished model as well. I'll get a feel for what the market is at the CLA and go from there.
Paul