General discussion > Contemporary Longrifle Collecting

Suggestion

(1/3) > >>

T*O*F:
Why don't you just start a separate forum entitled On the Blog for items featured there.  Most of the postings in this forum refer to the blog, but the items are not always related to "Contemporary Longrifle Collecting".  That way anyone who wants to discuss items on the blog could do so.

While it is a very valuable refererence, not everyone checks it religiously every morning and segregating it into a separate forum would facilitate casual browsing at one's convenience.

Ken G:
TOF,
I appreciate the suggestion but I don't see how having a forum dedicated to the blog would be an advantage over the way it is going now.  Currently, an item on the blog is discussed in the forum it most appropriately fits into by the folks who most appreciate talking about it.  A powder horn is discussed in the accoutrement forum, a rifle in the contemporary forum and sometimes even and antique in the antique forum.  In my opinion, discussions related to items on the blog do not fill up any of the forum to the point other threads get lost.  I looked to the bottom of the page and the oldest topic showing in contemporary is 1 month old.  Plenty of time to discuss before it falls in to the category of “out of sight, out of mind”. 

I see the advantage of the way it is done now being a person dropping by and selecting the category he or she has interest in might see a discussion referring to the blog and going to check it out.  If the forum was by itself and called, “Blog Discussions” then they might not ever go there.   
Ken

Acer Saccharum:
Just some musings on the above....

I noticed a while back that this section has turned almost exclusively into 'hey did you see what's on the blog today?'. My observation is not meant for any action, but I was wondering where the direction of this 'Contemporary Longrifle Collecting' forum is headed.  If it were not for the blog related postings, it would be a pretty slim forum indeed. It does indeed provide a place to talk about items on the blog, which the blog itself has no capacity for.

Tom

G-Man:
Guys - I don't mean to speak for Art and Jan, but just wanted to point out something that I don't think many are aware of - there is also an option on the Blog Spot to post comments below each item shown and I believe Art and Jan would welcome feedback, comments and discussion on the items.  I think it depends on the level of discussion you want to have, i.e. observations/general comments, vs. more of a back and forth discussion.

Guy

Mike Brooks:

--- Quote from: TOF on May 07, 2010, 05:00:54 PM ---Why don't you just start a separate forum entitled On the Blog for items featured there.  Most of the postings in this forum refer to the blog, but the items are not always related to "Contemporary Longrifle Collecting".  That way anyone who wants to discuss items on the blog could do so.

While it is a very valuable refererence, not everyone checks it religiously every morning and segregating it into a separate forum would facilitate casual browsing at one's convenience.

--- End quote ---
We could always start a cranky old man forum too. Of course I'd have to be a member..... ;)
 The blog is one of the most enjoyable places on the net for me. I don't travel much anymore so I don't have any idea what's going on out in the contemporary building world other than what shows up on the blog.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version