Author Topic: Workbenches  (Read 12831 times)

brokenflint

Workbenches
« on: May 07, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »
If this really belongs in over the back fence, mods feel free to move.

Thinking about building a new bench.  What's your preference on setup and why.  examples of what I'm asking about.   You have the vise set in the middle with forearm rests to each side.  This still requires you to flip the rifle now and again.   This is normally a typical 2' wide up against the wall bench.  Or you have the vise at the end of the bench, where the buttstock can hang out in the open and you have to option of working around it.  This is a bench that you can completely walk around, dissadvantage is the bench has to be narrow and therefore somewhat unstable without right angle feet.   Looking to pin point problems and see if I can find solutions, so anything goes here.

broke

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Workbenches
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 11:26:05 PM »
I have done benches both ways, both work.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:39:26 PM »
I have tried vises mounted at the end of free-standing benches in past shops.  The bench often got in the way when I was working on that side of the vise.  My current shop is very small with the typical wall mounted bench (6') and centered vise.  works well but, as you said, I am constantly flipping the gun.  Also, the vise tends to get in the way when I am just working at the bench.  The vise and outrigger supports are easily removable, but that is a nuisance too.

In past threads, members have posted pix of free-standing vises.  As I recall, some had outriggers to support the overhanging bits.  IMHO, that is pretty much the perfect setup.  If I ever have enough space, that is the setup I intend to have.

Laurie

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:37:20 AM »
I currently have a centrally located post mounted vise with out-riggers, which I find to be my favorite setup for rifle work.
I also have two other auxilary vises on a nearby bench for working on smaller parts.  One of these is on a 360 degree pivoting mount that Jim Chambers sold me a number of years ago.  It's super handy for filing castings and the like.

I'm definitely an advocate of the free standing set up for gun work.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 01:28:33 AM »
By bench is 16' long and 2' wide with a 6" swivel base machinist's vise mounted about 6' from the right hand end.  The bench is very solid...there is no vibration whatsoever in it, and I like it very much.  When I go at a stock with a drawknife or heavy rasp, I don't want it to even vibrate.  I don't think I could work with an island set-up.  The bench has holes drilled to mount a second 4" vise 6' to the left of the main one, but it rarely gets mounted.  As well, the bench top is drilled for mounting a bench grinder and a Baldor polishing set up, but I only mount them when I need them, leaving the bench clear most of the time.  I have a solid core 36" door mounted on folding legs in the centre of the shop for lay out work, leather work,  airplane and archery work,etc.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 02:41:41 AM »
Taylor,

You're embarrasing the rest of us!  Couldn't you please at least sprinkle a few shavings around?  Maybe a half-eaten moon pie?  ;D

I share your concern regarding vibration in a free standing vise.  I envision a pyramidal steel base bolted securely to the floor, but am wondering if it would get in the way of my feet.  It would be interesting to know how others are dealing with the vibration issue.

Laurie

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 02:45:31 AM »
I started out with vises at each end of my bench and a support in the middle.   I gradually decided that a vise in the middle and supports on the ends gave me greater flexibility as I almost never used the vise on the left side of the bench.   In order to keep two vises available on the gun bench,  I simply swapped the left vise and the center support and put a support on the right vise support post.     The thing is,  I almost never use that right vise.    I have a wood working bench and another metalworking bench with a mechanics vise in the shop.   There is also bench with a post vise at the forge.   Shop pictures below:

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 04:38:40 AM »
I have always used a corner mounted  machinist vice that swivels.....with out-riggers on both of the opposing sides. Easy to switch right & left sides. And with the out-riggers removed ...full access to either sides of the full work table

To tell you the truth all my vices are mounted on the corners of my work tables... just more mobility  for inletting carving & engraving
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 08:07:02 AM »

I like this type of bench. I was first introduced to this configuration when I worked for Serengeti Rifles. Built high enough so I don't need to stoop over. The vise is mounted about two feet out from the main bench. This allows you to work on both sides of the gun easily. The barrel and forestock can be rested on the main bench, or clamped into place. There are holes drilled along the front edge of the bench, to allow the magnifier to be moved to whatever position is convenient. I also have V blocks on pegs that fit in the holes, to hold the barrel when out of the gun for inletting.  A small bench is between the vise and bench, for handy tool placement, along with a small container of oil that I use instead of black for inletting.  Part of the main bench top has a layer of hardibacker, for a soldering surface.
On the other side of the shop, are a drill press, band saw, belt sander, forge, and casting area.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
at least my excuse for this mess is it was taken right after we moved in - the bench was in the middle of all the boxes.    (the garage is worse now - but the shop is slowly moving to an outbuilding as it gets remodled).  I just finished one new bench for the fly rods - a new longrifle bench is next. the new benches are longer and narrower, but the set up on the gunsmithing bench will be the same.

I have put one vera-vise on a corner - that give me the ability to swing the piece sideways and up & down and walk around,  and then a second one in the middle of the long side for times I need more support.  One feature I like is the ability to set the vises on their sides so that the one not in use is not in the way of swinging the other around

"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 05:00:45 PM »
  Now being a young builder,  Getting ready to button er up today I can't show ya'll a fantastic workbench.  I'm still acquiring tools, one piece at a time, some I had,some I still need, but it is a work inprogress.  Thought I'd share a pic of my first bench which took all of two hours to build.  It works... for now.

Rich

nc_cooter

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 10:56:29 PM »
Here's my "gun" work bench that was put together last week end. I used an old fixed base Columbian vise that someone gave me years ago. It's mounted on a piece of pine and held down by a piece of 1 1/2" angle that is the length of the table.
The bench base is my universal work area. The large piece of MDF in the back ground is used for leather cutting/work.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
Here's my workshop in the garage.  I recently built the bench in the foreground and my son promptly took most of it over with his hotrod stuff.  It's made from shipping pallets from the local steel supply, free for the asking.  Legs are 4x4 oak and the top and shelf are 1" oak and maple, topped with plywood.  It's free-standing and heavy.  4" swivel vise, center mounted.  My 1929 Sypher lathe sits on the far end.

This is MY bench (at least my son doesn't take IT over anymore!)  The corner mounted vise swivels and tilts (dunno how I functioned without it).  The bench top has several holes drilled along each end and 2 in the middle so I can move the articulating lamps where I need them. 

This "cradle" is handy for assembly/disassembly work, cleaning, etc.  It also has a cutout area on top for lock disassembly, shallow holes drilled for catching pins, etc.  Sure is a lousy picture.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

brokenflint

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 02:19:57 AM »
Thanks all for the repies.  So here is a compilation of pro’s and con’s of wall bench vs. free standing narrow bench as we’ve addressed so far in this thread.
Wall Bench Pros:
1.   Normally a wider bench (24”)
2.   More stability thru mass and bolting to wall.
3.   Vise may be mounted either on front or on end of bench.
4.   Ample under bench storage

CONS: 
1.   Vise Mounting position can be a work interference when mounted in the middle.
2.   Takes up shop space

Island Bench Pros:
1.   Allows for 270 degree plus work around stock
2.   Less flipping of stock while working.
3.   Less shop floor space required
4.   Easier transportable thru knock-down feature or smaller size.
5.   Vise may be mounted either on front or on end of bench.

CONS:
1.   Stability challenged, needs right angle feet and additional weight low to floor
2.   No “Bench Top” working tool storage.
3.   Limited under bench storage.

did I miss anything here?  if so please call it to my attention.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 04:02:04 AM »
BrokeFlint, I beg to differ with your "cons" list for island benches. I have posted my bench many times before, but here it is again.
-Lots of room for tools on top. See the chisels, files, parts, hammer, chase, scrapers & whatevers!
-Wide feet for stability. At around 100# this baby's stable!
-2 shelves for storage below. I have parts bins, sharpening stones, wooden shaping dies, etc. on the shelves
-2 Pana-Vises and a light fixture.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:07:10 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

longhunter1757

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 08:09:08 PM »
My God those are the cleanest workshops I've ever seen!
While not the original poster please accept my thanks gentlemen for those fine pictures. Now I have something to strive for.

Rich Baker

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 03:17:56 AM »
I finished up the first of two new benches today, Built to a comfortable work level for me,  the top is 8 feet long, 2 feet wide,  it weighs in at a little over 200 pounds - seems to be pretty steady.

- one will be set as an island bench with the two vera-vises - one on a corner and one on a long edge and a machinist vise on the far end, 

the other will be for building fly rods.

now to brighten up those walls. 
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 05:02:29 PM »
it weighs in at a little over 200 pounds - seems to be pretty steady.

I would STILL bolt it to the wall.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »

Ditto
If not it will shake and vibrate at times.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »

Ditto
If not it will shake and vibrate at times.

Dan

What are you guys doing on your benches   :o

Actually, the island bench (dedicated to gunsmithing) will bolt to the floor,  the rod building bench may get attached once the wall is finished off, but if you have planed a rod, the force used is very limited and goes the length of the bench, not crossways.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 05:24:13 PM by Rick Losey »