Author Topic: "R.B." on a West Tennessee long rifle  (Read 2946 times)

adawsmit

"R.B." on a West Tennessee long rifle
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:18:16 AM »
I bought a long rifle at a West Tennessee auction a couple of days ago, the stock is walnut with hardly any brass.  It is a double trigger or hair-trigger gun.  Their is no patchbox.  It has "R.B." engraved in it with some very primitive scrolling.  Also their is a figure wearing a cloak behind the hammer engraved in it too.  Will upload some pics of it when I get it back from my dad who is looking at it for a while.  I also bought a 1863 Springfield at the same auction but unfortunately it had been converted to a shotgun probably soon after the war so that the enlisted could take it home.  Any comments or suggestions about the "R.B." gun would be appreciated.  I am wanting to know the value if anyone has any suggestions their too.  The gun is in pretty rough shape so I am seriously thinking about restoring it but don't want to ruin it if it is some kind of rare jewel.  Thanks in advance!

-adam

mike e

Re: "R.B." on a West Tennessee long rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »
  We need pictures of the buttplate, lock pannels, tang, triggerguard, initials, etc...
Could be one of the Beardens from Lincoln County.  They used brass furniture. Can't wait to see the pictures.

adawsmit

Re: "R.B." on a West Tennessee long rifle
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
will be a few days...won't see my dad till at least Thursday and possibly the weekend but really appreciate the response!