Author Topic: Is it too Big?  (Read 4935 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

Is it too Big?
« on: May 10, 2010, 05:31:45 AM »
   When I was deciding on my components of my first build, I went with an odd looking trigger.  It caught my attention and I thought it was perfect for an odd fellow like myself.  I don't like to go with what is normal.  Not that I try to be the center of attention, but rather make people scratch their head and try to figure what just happened, or why I did what I did.

Anyway I was going to button er up this weekend when I stopped in my tracks.  Now I'm scratching my head. ???  It has left me with a question.  Can a triggerguard be too big?  I'm pretty sure the trigger is.  What do you think?The trigger on to is out of my Turner Kirkland.  I am using it as a refrence.
  Unless I just totaly mis it,  it looks as though this triggergaurd would be a flush mount instead of an inlet.  Comments please.

Rich

I'm having trouble resizing my photo's on Photobucket sorry so small
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:47:06 AM by LURCHWV@BJS »

California Kid

Re: Is it too Big?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 05:36:15 AM »
Pictures are too small to see what you are talking about. Resize them.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 05:49:16 AM »
  I don't know how,  I shrunk them on photobucket once and now it won't let me make them big again

Rich

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 05:57:28 AM »
Rich, I  would say that if you can't inlet the the trigger guard because of the size of the trigger , than the trigger's too big. Your trigger guard tangs should be inlet.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 06:13:03 AM »
Rich,

I believe it is a one-way trip.  You can reduce the resolution (shrink the file) but you cannot increase it.  You will likely have to upload the photos again. As I recall, the website will automatically reduce photo size as necessary, so you don't have to do any resizing of high rez photos.

Someone, please jump in if I am wrong.
Laurie

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 06:37:47 PM »
Sometimes after inletting a set of triggers, or a simple trigger, and then inletting the guard, I have found that the trigger is too long to allow the guard to be let properly into the stock.  So the triggers had to be shortened.

But that isn't your only problem here Rich.  The trigger hinged in the trigger plate is not going to give you a nice light crisp let off...it's going to be at least 5 or 6 pounds of pull...maybe more.  Triggers need to be hinged through the wood about level with the sear screw hole, or to a boss on the plate that is comparably high.

Your main question boils down to - What does the fullsized blueprint that you drew first tell you about proportions and suitability of parts?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:13:35 AM »
Oh, now you mention the the old pencil and paper trick!   :D   It's cheaper than turning parts into scrap,
but I know lots of people who reach for a chisel first !  My friend said to me "  why bother...it's never going to look like I draw it anyway"  ;D

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 04:08:44 AM »
First off Rich, Don't ever say it's too big! You just have to know how to use it! ;D

Ok the real stuff: you should have worked this out all on paper. This is a trick that a lot of us do. Some times that old TOTW catalog is good for something. I have a bunch of cut out tracings of their 1/1 photos, If I'm building from bought parts I will use these to lay out my pattern. Gives you a good idea of what will fit or what will not ( & what can be reworked to fit!).... however when building a custom rifle you should be making all  the "sundry parts" so you will know they fit! If you are not at that stage yet your pencil & paper are your best friends !
It isn't a guessing game. you really should have some idea of what should go together.... "this is the way to travel the road!"
Good luck
Jim
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 04:09:19 AM by JWFilipski »
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:14:01 PM »
Here's the pics resized, although with some loss of resolution.

John
John Robbins

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 08:45:44 PM »
Cut the lug off the front extension.  It's a casting gate and you don't want it.  The one at the forward end of the trigger guard bow secures the guard to the stock, at that end.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.