Author Topic: odd lock  (Read 5301 times)

ottawa

odd lock
« on: May 10, 2010, 05:07:48 PM »
Has anyone out there heard of a all brass lock before ? a guy is suppose to bring in one today to look at but he sound's like just blowing smoke. the lock is suppose to be all brass except for the springs and the face of the frizzen the frizzen is said to have a steel face If this is true hopefully I can get some pictures of it sounds like a cool lock

BrownBear

Re: odd lock
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »
I know next to nothing about them, but I've seen them.  In fact I believe they're even available today from at least one or two contemporary sources.  Memory fails at the moment.

Offline Stan

• stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 05:26:19 PM »
Brass locks(lock plate & pan) have been made since the 18th century. A number of Kentucky rifles & pistols are mounted with brass locks including one very nice Frederick Sell rifle.
Most of us that make locks today offer them in brass. However they are more expensive due to the number of steel bushings that are needed. Stan
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:27:06 PM by Stan »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »
I can't imagine a brass cock holding up to the impact and strain, the jaws spreading under pressure from the screw, etc. Bronze could, tho.

Eager to hear more...

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:03:48 PM »
I have a book with a photo of a fine German double gun with brass/bronze locks, including the cocks.  One is broken and you can see an attempt at repair was made.  You can also tell that it probably wasn't fired much...

That is the one and only instance I have seen where they tried to use brass for the cocks.  Otherwise, it's just lockplates/pans that are brass.  I have seen a lock or two that have had a sheet of brass overlaid on the lower part of the cock to make it look like brass.  Kinda neat.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Artificer

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:29:31 AM »
I have, but it was a matchlock and not a flintlock.  I imagine it was actually bronze as it was a 300 year old Japanese Matchlock and the brass/bronze mainspring still had pretty good tension.  I wouldn't even want to think about trying to make a large/long leaf type mainsping from bronze.  Of course it didn't require as much power to bring a serpentine down smartly as it would take to make a flint strike well.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 05:30:02 AM »
Certain kinds of bronzes can be hammered into a hardness approaching hardened steel. You can definitely bring brass and bronze up to spring hard, just by hammering.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 07:25:49 AM »
 I made  a patchbox spring out of brass and it works fine.

ottawa

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 03:56:37 AM »
a quick update as of this evening I stillhave not heard any thing back from the guy on this lock so no pictures as of yet :'(