Author Topic: Big early horn for me  (Read 3998 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Big early horn for me
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:58:39 AM »
All the powder horns I have kept for myself, I made in the late 70's and early 80's, and it shows, LOL.  I wanted a large horn for myself for a 1750's-1770's impression, suitable for military or civilian purposes, and finished it this weekend.  I had roughed it out a year ago (took the bark off and rough rasped it, cut the ends off) and I suppose I have another 10-12 hours in it since then to finish it.  Susan may have a better notion, LOL.  I like plain horns and noted that the Timothy Murphy horn at the Old Stone Fort in Schoharie, NY, is a large, plain horn of similar color.  Seems every horn speaks to me regarding how to shape it, and I usually listen.

The horn is very large, about 17" along the outer curve, 3.25" across at the butt, and is a greenish tinted amber that is translucent in sunlight, but it has been kept thick enough to survive the roughest usage.  I expect it will hold over a pound and a half of powder.  The butt plug is white pine, and the spout plug is black locust.  Both are stained with AQF and finished with Keith Casteel's oil.

I had a piece of very stout, burlap weight hemp fabric and chose this for the strap as the color was a nice match and they seemed to belong together.  I sewed the strap as a tube but then unraveled the ends and braided the warp strands together in 2 braids to tie to the horn.  The end for the butt plug is left long to adjust the strap for winter clothing.  It is a right hand carry and hugs the body well.  I hope this will be a good 30 year horn for me.

Open for critique- comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:09:14 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Big early horn for me
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 04:21:07 PM »
 Great looking horn, looks like it fits good.

Tim C.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 04:22:19 PM »
  Hey Rich,
   Nothin wrong with this horn! I like it.I have a weakness for lip horns too. Looks like it fits you good and it has a very nice twist. I think I'll name my last horn "Tedium Interuptus".

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 06:39:17 PM »
I like it I don't see anything to "critique" I need to make one similar for myself. I want to dye it green with copper.
My problem is buying horns through the mail. Kinda like buying loading rods.
But more expensive.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Artificer

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:43:39 PM »
Rich,

I always shied away from horns with a lip over the end plug because I thought they may be a bit fragile connecting the strap to the lip.  I have no actual experience with or seeing the lips cracking or breaking, though.   Am I being too much of a worry wart about this?

Gus

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »
There are a zillion originals that have broken off- on this one I kept the holes close (less leverage) and kept it thick there (.100").  Can always add a staple later.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 09:39:57 PM »
"Carmex" reportedly heals cracked lips... ::)
(sorry...couldnt resist...)
nice horn...it ought to stand the 30 year test fine...
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com