Author Topic: copper for sights  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Dan Herda

copper for sights
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
Move to correct category if nessesary.

I have read the use of copper for sights and have a few questions about that.

Was it used for the base only?

Was there a particular school or region or even time period that was most common to use copper?

And maybe an answear to part of this (?) , was it used because of the availablity in pots and kettles?

Thank you for any input,Dan

lew wetzel

Re: copper for sights
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:24:44 PM »
dont know any of that.i made one and installed it because i am a machinist and had it available.looks real good in the sunlight.......i would bet they might have used them and if so it was because it was available and pretty soft to work with......

Bill Brockway

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:11:05 PM »
ridjrnr -

I have a Tennessee-made longrifle with a front sight that is partly copper.  The base is copper; the blade is coin silver or another silver colored metal.  The rear sight is all iron.  For some reason, I have always believed that this type front sight was not uncommon, although I would be hard-pressed to prove it.  The blade is not very tall, probably 3/32" above the top barrel flat; almost invisible when shooting.

This rifle has been my family since the 1830's.

Bill Brockway

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:59:08 AM »
I have also seen cooper front sight bases on southern guns.  I am told it was also used for barrel tenons on southern guns but I haven't seen that myself.   I think that there would usually be a silver front sight blade because it was considered good luck to have silver somewhere on the rifle and the front sight blade is a good place to put a bit of silver on an otherwise plain rifle.

Mark E.

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 01:20:15 AM »
The rifles built by Jake and Sam Hawken up through at least the end of the 1840's used a copper base with silver blade for the front sight.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Ghillie

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 01:50:56 AM »
I had always been a beliver in a silver front sight blade.  I got into black powder cartridge rifles several years ago.  Many of those shooter who hunt extoled the attributes of a copper front blade.  After about 2 years of hearing this, I installed on on my '74 Sharps rifle.  I'll never use a silver blade again.  It stands out in any light and is easy to see.  You'll have to try it to believe it.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 02:51:43 AM »
I have done several rifles using a copper base and a sterling silver blade for the front sight.  Worked real well.
DMR

willyr

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 03:42:13 AM »
Bill Brockway! Glad to see you are still alive and kicking. When my Grandfather described the rifle his father brought with him when he moved to Mississippi from Virginia, he mentioned that the rifle was trimmed in brass but the nosepiece and butttrap were made of copper. He moved from near Petersburg, Virginia to Mississippi in 1854. The rifle was .38 caliber and was passed to my grandfather. He used the rifle until sometime in the 1920's when the mainspring broke. He traded it to a neighbor for a pocket watch.
Be Well,
Bill Ridout

Offline Benedict

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 03:46:27 AM »
I had always been a beliver in a silver front sight blade.  I got into black powder cartridge rifles several years ago.  Many of those shooter who hunt extoled the attributes of a copper front blade.  After about 2 years of hearing this, I installed on on my '74 Sharps rifle.  I'll never use a silver blade again.  It stands out in any light and is easy to see.  You'll have to try it to believe it.

I like a brass blade because it seems to work OK in all different light.  Silver works great in the forests but in bright sun it is way too shiny.  Iron works just the other way.  I have found that brass is a good compromise.

Bruce

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 07:22:21 PM »
Good to hear all the responses. I'm needing a couple sights and rather than paying 6 p/h for a 4$ pc I think I'll make a few. I guess I like the idea of brass or copper base sights in a barrel dovetail rather than steel.There for some reason, is a few more small pcs of copper than brass at the moment in the scrap box.

Dan

lew wetzel

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 12:00:14 AM »
here is a link to the pics i posted of my sights..........
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=1519.0