General discussion > Contemporary Longrifle Collecting

Jack Brooks on the Blog

(1/1)

elk killer:
that is 1 outstanding piece of maple,,,!!!!!
not to mention the rest of it as well..!!!!

rich pierce:
Jack does terrific work and can do all KINDS of terrific work.

mr. no gold:
Jack has been working on this rifle for many years, not hurrying through the building of it.
The wood is very special, having come from a celebrated ancient maple tree that fell many years ago in PA. As I recall, it had some historical significance, as well. Jack was fortunate to get some of the wood, and has built at least one other piece from it.
Warren Selke has stocked a fine Lehigh rifle from the same tree. Fine wood demands a fine product, and for my money, these are finest of the fine.
Dick

TinStar:
I was amazed at the figure in that wood.(Not to forget the gorgeous job he did on the rifle) Any idea where there is a pic of the Lehigh made by Warren Selke?

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

mr. no gold:
Both Warren and Jack exhibit their work at the great, annual Denver Gun Show, (which was held a week ago). Jack is a master builder with an encyclopedic mind, and he does restoration every bit as well as he builds. Warren seems to be more restorer, than builder, but did put together the faublous Lehigh gun for himself, to hunt elk.
Jack built a rifle (scaled down some) for his daughter many years ago, and I think that gun has the same fine maple for the stock. It may be shown on his website.
Someone theorized that the figure in the wood may be due to various impacts, such as harsh weather, lightening strikes, and so on. I don't know enough about wood to comment except to say that this maple is truly beautiful.
As to seeing Warren's rifle, check for a website and if he doesn't have one, he may be listed in the Denver phone directory. If that fails, get in touch with Jack since they are good friends.
Dick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version