Author Topic: Two Small Primitive Horns  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Two Small Primitive Horns
« on: May 13, 2010, 05:23:42 PM »
 The second one is the one I did as the demo horn at the class at the Log Cabin Shop last month, the other was also used as an example. They are both rather small and very light.

The first one is about 7 3/4" around the outside curve (OC), the Pine base is about 2" and is held in with 4 wooded pegs.

The second is about 8 3/4" around the OC, the Popular base is about 2", there are 8 panels on the neck, you can see through about 3/4 of it from the neck down. Both have nails in the base for strap attachment.

Tim C.

Sorry that second pic is a little fuzzy but you get the idea.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:43:22 PM by Tim Crosby »

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Two Small Primitive Horns
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 05:39:44 PM »
I like those little horns that can be stuck in a pocket.  Very handy for a day of shooting or hunting.
Andover, Vermont

northmn

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 03:13:30 PM »
Like Rich I like the smaller horns.  I rarely go out for a long term stay needing a large supply of powder.

DP

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 05:02:41 PM »
Very nice horns Tim.  I've made a few to go with some bags and enjoy the simplified look and are on the lines of the Appalachia style.  Great job.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 11:27:22 PM »
 Thanks guys. In the past few years I too have found that I like a small horn that I can carry in a pocket. They are a nice break and less work than a screw tip or banded horn.

Tim C.

PS: I pull the plug with my teeth and it never fails that at least once a day while shooting I manage to stick a moustache hair in along with the plug, Man that smarts.TC

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 09:35:05 PM »
That must be some moustache!  There is a lot of work in those little horns, the plainer horns are no easier to make, and especially get the look right.

Coryjoe