Author Topic: What type of surface finish is "correct" for shooting bags, etc.?  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Artificer

Folks, I have a dearth of different modern finishes I have used on the smooth side of leather over the years. 

This got me to wondering what they used on original leather in the 18th century.

Did they use beeswax as a sealant? 

I remember folks talking about linseed oil and neatsfoot oil.  Were these made differently than what is commonly available today? 

Is there a modern type sealer or top coat that looks "correct" on the smooth side of leather that you prefer? 

I'd appreciate any input.
Gus

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
Gus - see if you can find a copy of Book of Buckskinning 6 (it's out of print, but usually available through library loan). Well known period leather crafter Steve Lalioff has an article in there on making bags and IIRC discusses finishes.

Also check out Eric Myall's (used to work at Williamsburg) series of videos on making 18th Century leather goods - http://backintimeleatherworks.com/images/SalesFlierpdf.pdf
The website is no longer, but here are phone numbers that are supposed to be 757-564-9659  757-532-1970

One finish that I've read of at least for the early 19th Century is dubbin - usually a mix of beef or sheep tallow, oil, and bees wax in varying amounts.

I remember folks talking about linseed oil and neatsfoot oil.  Were these made differently than what is commonly available today?
In general yes........
Best quality linseed oil was cold pressed and then heat polymerized dependent on final usage - Tried and True Oil
sells a good version of the latter as do most better artist supply houses. Pure unpolymerized linseed oil can be bought at artist supplies or at health food stores where it is sold as flax seed oil. Linseed oil was a main ingredient in making the finish on patent leather.

Neats foot oil was once only secured from cow hooves and lower leg bones. Since the 1930's according to the folks at Lexol, any oil from an animal source that meets a certain Mil-spec can be called neats foot oil - most today is produced from lard.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:12:06 AM by ChuckBurrows »
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Artificer

Chuck,

Thanks so much for that information.

Years ago I had some real problems using some Neatsfoot oil.  From what you wrote, it was probably one of the compounds that had petroleum in it.   That's why I stayed away from it for many years. 

Very much appreciate the info on flax seed oil and where to get it.

Gus