Author Topic: S. Morrison of Milton PA any information on him  (Read 12191 times)

Offline Dave B

S. Morrison of Milton PA any information on him
« on: September 06, 2008, 07:49:40 AM »
I popped over to the Portland Expo Gun show to see if there was any thing worth looking at. One table had a nice longrifle marked by a stamp on the top flat
S. MORRISON  +  MILLTON  +  PATENT.  They don't allow cameras at the show so no pic's sorry. The guy was telling me that the Patent part of the rifle was the lock mechanism. It has a main spring with a roller that rides on the horn of the tumbler and a adjustable sear screw. It is still in original flintlock condition and the stock geometry reminds me of the Almengal school. The slight roman nose with a patch box release piercing the butt plate as a small square stud. The release was nailed in to the side wall of the patch box cavity.  The barrel was shortened to my thinking but still looked great. Patch box pattern was like that of the Berks county style however it had wriggle work as the border for whole box.
It also had half moon inlays on the forestock, the flat half down and forming the line for the insice molding to the end of the muzzle cap. It had only a 6 lands & grooved barrel. The lands were like four times the width of the grooves. I will go back to morrow to handle it some more.

Dave B
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 08:02:34 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

don getz

Re: S. Morrison of Milton PA any information on him
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 04:14:47 PM »
Samuel Morrison live in Milton, Pa., which is just a few miles north of Sunbury, along the west branch of the Susquehanna,
and build what is commonly called "upper susquehanna" guns.  I don't think I have ever seen a flint gun of his, but that
is not an impossibility.  He made a lot of "mule ear" guns, and he and Joe Long worked together for a period to time.  I
have even seen a gun that was signed "Morrison & Long".   His stock architecture is similar to all others from this area,
like Snyder and Union county guns (Joe Long, Samuel Baum, etc.)  I have seen Joe Long rifles with mule ear locks, which
he probably learned from Morrison.   Was the gun for sale that you saw at the show, and how much did they want for it?
One always wonders how they got that far from home.......Don

don getz

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 04:22:05 PM »
Dave.....the patchbox release is also the same as was used in this area.  The little square stud sticking thru the buttplate
originally has a nice rounded button on it, I should have said they normally had one.  The little "squiggly" engraving on
the patchbox is common.....check to see if it also some of that engraving around the rear sight...this is also very common.
Don

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 04:41:02 PM »
Don,
That makes sence its from the Susquahana area. The side plates for the patch box have that same style of pierced laceyness? about them. They are held in place by a slew of little iron nails.
The  rifle is for sale at a whopping $4500. I would say if it hadn't been cut at the muzzzle it would be worth that I guess.  There is a wriggle work patern behind the  rear sight as you say. I had forgotten that.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline eastwind

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 05:15:58 PM »
I've got a nice Samuel Morrison flint rifle in my shop. I would be glad to share photos if someone will kindly receive my email and post them. I never got the hang of using Photobucket . Give me email to send em.
Patrick Hornberger
Eastwind@hughes.net
Patrick Hornberger

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 05:24:50 PM »
East wind,
E-mail them to me and I will post them. dkblaisdell@comcast.net  I would love to see the photos and add them to my collection.

Dave B
Dave Blaisdell

Offline nord

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 05:47:08 PM »

Thought you might be interested:

The mule ear has been attributed to Morrison, however I have my doubts. No matter though, it bears his influence and is certainly somehow closely tied to him. It, too, is shorter than most other rifles I've seen and HAS NOT been cut.

The first rifle is signed and unquestionably by Joe Long.

Both rifles are unmolested and in fine condition. The mule ear, though somewhat less fancy,  is better balanced and a fine rifle overall.

Enjoy!
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 05:50:12 PM »
Dave, does the patchbox look anything like this rifle? This mule ear rifle is unsigned but could have been built by Morrison.http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/Captjoel/GraveofJohnShell005.jpg[/img]]
Joel Hall

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 06:48:16 PM »
Joel,
the box is not that fancy. It has a single piercing in the finial and the side plates are pierced in three places if memory serves. The last mule ear rifle Nord posted is similar in the side plates and the half moon on the for stock. The enty pipe is two piece as well. I will try to get over there this am to see. May take a mold if he will let me.
Dave B
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 03:58:06 AM »
I went back to the show today to look at the S. Morrison Rifle. I was given permision to do a tracing and rubbing of the but stock. Here is the  rifle

The rifling is of the straight varitey no twist. He popped the lock out for me to see the roller frizzen and the adjustable sear notch. It was similar to the old CVA masline locks with the adjustable full cock notch.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 07:00:09 AM »
I too, have a Samuel Morrison rifle. Mine is a mule-ear, but the lock is of a completely different design than others I have seen. The mainspring is internal, and is behind the hammer, a "back-action mule-ear" if you will. The patchbox is much like the one in the tracing/sketch done by Dave B, except that it has no piercings. The patchbox finial is identical. Mine is simply stamped "S. MORRISON".

Jim Whisker and I both believe that he is the same Samuel Morrison who had a shop in Pekin, Tazewell County, Illinois, during the 1840's. I might have completely overlooked him, if it had not been for an ad, placed by his successor, John Schultheis, found in The Tazewell Mirror , Pekin, Illinois, dated April 11, 1850. Schultheis stated in his ad that he had "taken the shop lately occupied by Samuel Morrison, deceased", and was ready to repair old guns and make new ones to order. A trip to the Tazewell County Courthouse, to search for Morrison's estate file, revealed that he died on April 1, 1850. There were local bills against his estate, dating as early as April 24, 1841, which referred to him as "gunsmith". Morrison owned  house and lot 13, block 38, in the City of Pekin, his wife's name was Maria, and he still owned land in Pennsylvania, at the time of his death. He apparently anticipated his imminent demise, for he appears to have sold his shop & business to John Schultheis on February 18, 1850. A note for $118.00, due nine months after, was given to Morrison by Schultheis on that date. Morrison made out a will on March 23, 1850, with Thomas Schultheis as a witness. I suspect that John Schultheis might have worked for Morrison prior to buying out his business. I also have a script signed rifle by Schultheis. It is a well made fullstock percussion rifle, but with a conventional lock, rather than mule-ear.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 08:07:48 AM »
Nord,
Thanks for posting those pictures of your rifles. It is helpful to me to see some of his work and document it for future comparison.

Curt J,
Thanks for the additional information on Samule Morrison. I always find that stuff helpful to understand what and where these smiths did their work.

Dave B
Dave Blaisdell

Offline nord

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 03:56:17 PM »
Dave -

You're most welcome. As I said earlier, I suspect my mule ear has a Morrison influence but is not a Morrison. The comb has more of a Huntingdon flavor than either Reading or Allentown. No hint of a Roman Nose. That's why I included the Long as it displays a VERY Roman Nose.

Judging from my overall gun I'd conclude a rather late piece, but perhaps made in  a fairly remote location. I'm sure the barrel was a commercial item, but that lock certainly wasn't! Since conventional locks were commonly available at that time, I've always wondered why anyone would have spent the time and energy to build one from scratch. Then again, maybe a customer just wanted a mule ear.

Your tracing leads me to believe that my gun and yours are by two different hands. Maybe not unrelated, but different. The gun in question appears to have a somewhat simplified "National Road" patchbox.  Certainly not unattractive, but somewhat simpler than I'd expect from rifles made in the general area of Shamokin, PA  and a few miles to the west.

And then there's always a matter of time and distance. By 1840 it was possible to travel fairly easily almost anywhere east of the Mississippi. Gun makers often pulled up stakes and moved as the frontier moved. Obviously a maker by the name of Morrison did this and can be traced back to PA from IL.

As to construction I'd hesitate to say that many of the maker's products actually evolved as I don't believe they really did. I would, however, say that they adapted to local needs. Be those needs a change in style, a level of decoration, caliber, or simply cost versus utility, the makers built whatever paid the freight.

Would that we could trace a maker from his first to his last rifle, I believe it might be easier to understand the processes involved as his products changed over time. Obviously we can't do this. About the best we can hope for is the ability to assign certain characteristics to a piece that follow the general pattern of a particular maker.

Which is exactly the reason I hesitate to assign my rifle to Morrison, yet have little doubt of a connection. Brother, cousin, next door neighbor? I haven't a clue, but I'd bet money they were familiar with one another.   

Jim (Whisker) and I every once in awhile get into a friendly debate over NY rifles... Which he tends not to like very much. I, on the other hand, see things somewhat apart from the official border. The Susquehanna makers moved north and produced guns in Owego , Elmira, and Painted Post. There is very little to distinguish them from guns made in Towanda, PA and on south. North of the Finger Lakes it's another story. Those guns are of an entirely different flavor as a rule.

Too bad the gentlemen who made fine rifles didn't realize that we'd be studying them and appreciating their work 150 years after they passed. I bet they'd be surprised that anyone would care.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

don getz

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 05:07:16 PM »
Nord....thanks for those great pictures.   Nice Joe Long.  You can almost tell one by the trigger guard itself...he normally
used one that was unique to his guns.  This one also has a different sideplate, normally used a "football" shaped one.
Also noticed it had a pierced wear plate on the foregrip, a little unusual.   I should jump into my Miata and take a trip up
your way and pay you a visit, would love to see some of your guns......Don

Offline nord

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 06:51:10 PM »
Don -

Please do! We'll leave the latch string out.

B.

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 03:02:21 PM »
Don, If you come up this way, let me know.  There are a couple rifles made over here in Owego that you might swear came from SE PA.  It might take a little lead time to see them, even though they're in a museum.
Best regards,
Dale

Offline Dave B

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 04:30:47 AM »
Here are a couple of photos from Eastwind of a rifle that came into his gun shoppe.

I really like this side plate. It reminds me of the finial on the lion and lamb rifle in a way. Thanks again Eastwind for sending these our way.

Dave B
Dave Blaisdell

Offline eastwind

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 09:46:07 PM »
Thanks Dave: This Morrison is signed: S.Morrison, Milton, Pa. and under barrel is signed I. Seifrit - a barrel maker near Mohnton, Pa. who originally worked for Henry Deeds and apparently also made halfstocks when he went out on his own.
Great sideplate...
Patrick Hornberger
Patrick Hornberger

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 03:45:18 AM »
Hello all--

Now that I have my account back in order (I didn't even notice it was gone until I tried to post this reply), I thought I would add a few tidbits about Samuel Morrison and add a few questions that remain unanswered.  Hopefully, this does not rise to heretic status.

I have been told by a reliable source that they are in possession of evidence that Samuel Morrison started his gunmaking career in New Hampshire or Vermont (I can't remember the exact details because the source did not share copies of the evidence, but I believe the earlier is accurate) and eventually moved to Milton, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania.  If you look at sideplates on New England rifles circa 1810-20, you will notice a variation of the football shaped sideplate as a common feature.  The other noted maker working in Milton, William Fillman, also used the football-shaped sideplate.  I think much like Samuel Baum, there may have been two Samuel Morrisons working in Milton (there seems to be two styles of Morrison rifles--one looking like a Joe Long and earlier, less common examples).

Don correctly points out that there was an association between Samuel Morrison and Joe Long, who eventually ended up in Beaver Springs, Snyder County, Pennsylvania.  Joe Long's family (his mother and father) eventually ended up living in White Deer Township, Union County, Pennsylvania (which is essentially across the river from Milton); however, the Long family, at the time of Joe's likely apprenticeship was not located in White Deer Township.  The consensus guesstimate has always linked Long with Morrison in an apprenticeship setting in Milton.   

If you buy the fact that Samuel Morrison (Jr., if there is in fact a Jr.) was working at the same time and apprenticing at the same time as Joe Long, I think it is quite possible that they apprenticed together, not in Milton, but instead in New Berlin, Union County, Pennsylvania.  At this time, my records indicate that the Long family lived across Penns Creek in present day northern Snyder County (very close to New Berlin).  Rev. Hugh Morrison was an active minister in New Berlin at the time and could have provided a link to New Berlin for Samuel.  New Berlin, which served as the county seat of the combined Union and Snyder Counties (now separate), was a bustling community during this period and served as the hub of early cottage industries in the region.

Jim Renn's presentation at the KRA (which I did not attend but am quite familiar with the content) hypothesized that Samuel Baum, Sr. owned a gun factory in New Berlin, which provided jobs for numerous gunmakers in our region who later went out on their own or stayed loyal to the mass production of Baum rifles (hence the relatively large amount of Samuel Baums rifles extant at present).  I think in this association, Morrison and Long linked up and worked together.  It is quite possible that this is where both developed their style, which has an earlier New England influence with the football-shaped patchbox.  Of course, there are quite a few Samuel Baum rifles, one with a New Berlin inscription on its patchbox with a style, including football-shaped sideplate that one would definitely say is a Joe Long without the Baum signature.

I fully realize that there is quite a bit of conjecture above, but there is no question that Long and Morrison had an association at one point, as limited as it may have been.  The one question I have, is who made the handmade, forged sidelocks that are particular to Morrison and the Upper Susquehanna school?  Morrison seemed to use them most out of the documented makers, so is it possible that he was the maker?  Or, was there a blacksmith working in New Berlin at the time (or maybe even someone in Milton) that could have produced these sidelocks?  I have taken a particular interest in these sidelocks, but am lost as to who may have made these parts.

Of course, Morrison had a ready supply of parts from the Pennsylvania Canal and he regularly used them.  Deeds signed barrels are fairly common on Morrison rifles (no doubt he shipped them in on the Canal), but if the sidelocks were similarly shipped in, you would see similar examples on other regions' rifles.  I have a tendency to believe that one of the makers of an ingenious blacksmith was the maker of the Upper Susquehanna sidelock, which did coincidently end up on several northern Pennsylvania rifles.

I certainly threw out some food for thought and wouldn't mind hearing your take on this subject, Don.  If you hop in your Miata, I am a much shorter distance.

Jeff Spotts

don getz

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 04:55:21 PM »
Jeff......good to hear from you again.  When you speak of "sidelocks" I am assuming you are talking about a mule ear lock,
is that correct?  You do see a lot of Morrison rifles with these locks on them, and I have seen Joe Long rifles with them as
well.  I'm sure he must have picked that up from Morrison.  I like your research on these individuals, very interesting.
Another interesting thing.........my great grandfather, Henry Getz, married a Catherine Specht.  Catherine was the sister
of Adam Specht Sr. who was the father of Adam, Elias, and Mose Specht, all of whom built guns in that mid 1800 period
in Beavertown.  Could be that it was those Specht genes that got me into gunbuilding, who knows.......Don

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 06:31:59 AM »
Don--

When I refer to "sidelocks" I am referring to the "mule ears."  As far as the Specht family, I often pondered where they learned the trade.  I don't have the biography of Mose Specht in front of me but I believe his brother, Adam, is noted as a redware maker in New Berlin.  I strongly believe that most makers from the Upper Susquehanna came through New Berlin and the Baum shop at one point.  As you may recall, Baum also had a factory in Danville, Montour County, Pennsylvania at one point, too.  There is no indication that Baum closed shop in New Berlin and moved to Danville.  I believe he kept both open and brought mass production to the area.  I also believe that after makers got tired of building guns for Baum, they hit the road and started their own businesses and dabbled in farming and other trades to keep afloat.  Samuel Baum is recorded as a postmaster in New Berlin circa 1850.  At this point, I believe the Baums may have rapped up shop (maybe the Danville expansion failed and ate up their capital), leaving Long, Morrison, the Spechts, Frock, Laudenslager, Wetzel, etc. on their own circa 1840.  I might even go as far as saying that most Baum rifles were not made by Baum. 

This is consistent with Jim Renn's research and I have been able to put most of the makers in New Berlin at one point, but the general Census listing of laborer may explain our inability up until now to identify many of the makers.  Jim also hypothesizes that the the many unsigned guns may not have been Pennsylvania Dutch piety, as much as they were made after the normal business hours of the Baum shop.  I think I am getting somewhere with this, but I am still a student always willing to learn more.

Jeff Spotts

Offline Loudy

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 07:52:56 AM »
Jeff & Don,

I found your post regarding the New Berlin / Sam Baum connection very interesting.  My reseach regarding the Laudenslager family of gunsmiths has led me to some of the same speculations.  I believe gunsmith Samuel H. St. Clair may have also learned the trade in the Sam Baum school of gunsmithing.  St. Clair worked for many years just across the creek in Kratzerville.  I have good reason to believe that at least a couple of the Laudenslager's apprenticed under St. Clair.  It seems these Union/Snyder County gunsmiths have common roots of all sorts that we are just beginning to unravel.  Thank you for sharing your insights. 

Mark Loudenslager