Author Topic: How to soften leather  (Read 5682 times)

tljack

How to soften leather
« on: May 15, 2010, 05:53:44 AM »
I have a leather rifle scabard made by Michaels of Oregon. I bought it new in the 70's. It is beginning to get stiff. Is there anyway to soften it up? The has kind of a rough, almost suede finish with about a 10" piece of cow hair on it?

ottawa

Re: How to soften leather
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 05:04:59 PM »
neats feet oil mite work . after applying the oil roll it up like you would a sleeping bag a few times working the leather and also working the oil in . (update) I just read that neatsfeet is now possibly rendered from lard . when I was working in the shoe repair that's what they swore by to soften shoe leather. maybee mink oil will work better
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 05:11:16 PM by ottawa »

Offline TPH

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 07:11:44 PM »
Ottawa, lard or not, he should go with neatsfoot oil - the Pure Neatsfoot oil, not Neatsfoot oil compound. Years ago I had problems with mink oil and have not used it since. Like neatsfoot oil compound, all of the various Pecards leather treatments and many other modern leather treatment compounds, mink oil has petroleum products included and is just not good for leather in my opinion. Pure neatsfoot oil does not contain petroleum products. Maybe Chuck will post on this with his advice, he knows far more than I do.
T.P. Hern

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 01:09:47 AM »
First thing I'd do is clean it good with Lexol PH Balanced Leather Cleaner, then while still damp add a LIGHT coat of Lexol conditioner. Once dry work it in your hands -  twist it, scrunch it, etc - or even better over the rounded edged of board - one hand on each side of the upright board (I use about a 12-18" x 6" x 1" board with one end (6" wide end) rounded smooth and mount it in my vise - and pull back and forth from side to side, do a short section at a time -  to help soften - just don't get too vigorous on an older piece. If need be add a second coat of Lexol Conditioner - but LIGHT coats only and be careful since "suede" (actually more likely a split) can really sop up the oil/conditioner.
After boarding you can use a natural bristle hand brush (I don't care for the metal bristle "suede" brushes - too aggresive) to lift the nap if you like - and work around the cowhair patch carefully.

here's a link to a pic of the type board I'm talking about - this handy for all kinds of leather work by the way - you can soften up thinner bark/vegtan the same way as well as braintan or CT buck/elk:
http://www.survivalschool.com/classes/clip_image002.gif
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

tljack

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 02:02:59 AM »
Chuck, I am thinking you are right about it being a split. Where do you buy Lexol?

Offline Chuck Burrows

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 04:13:43 AM »
Tandy Leather, most saddle shops and other leather suppliers, farm feed, stores, etcm usually carry both

ottawa

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 02:26:09 PM »
Chuck .Thanks for pointing out the mink oil verses neatsfeet didn't know that about mink . ooooopppps  I ment Tljack sorry about that
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:48:48 PM by ottawa »

Offline Simon

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 05:52:59 PM »
30 years ago LEXOL made a product for softing leather.  I used it on gunbelts when I was a LEO.  I don't know if it is still available and I don,t remember the name of the product, except that it was sold as a Lexol product.  It would soften to much If you used it to excesss.  A little bit then wait a few days before using more.  The leather got softer with use after treatment.
Mel Kidd

Offline Chuck Burrows

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 06:18:27 PM »
That was and is the Lexol Conditioner and yes like any oil it can and will over soften leather if over used - used properly (and as noted that means sparingly) it works fine and is a "lighter" oil than neatsfoot or mink oil.