Author Topic: multi shot flintlocks  (Read 5047 times)

karwelis

multi shot flintlocks
« on: May 16, 2010, 12:45:12 PM »
i dont know if this is the right place for this, but this last week i was in cody wyoming and i saw some amazing original guns! 2 of them were truly unique! multi shot superimposed loading flintlocks! has anyone heard of this? were they to complicated to be affective? i would love to hear your comments and thoughts!

this one was a 10 shot

and this was a 4 shot

Offline Old Ford2

Re: multi shot flintlocks
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 02:58:22 PM »
Where would you set your lock for the first shot? Forward or back towards the breech for first shot? ;D
Seriously, you would want to get your loading, and shooting sequence in the right order, before you touch off that first shot!
Just think of the gas venting on that ten shooter, as you shoot that last shot.
It would be interesting to see at night.
Very interesting rifles!
Thanks for the photos.
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:52:55 PM »
Looks like you'd have to use a predetermined powder charge to ensure the forward touchholes would line up with powder.  I wonder if the touchholes forward of the charge being fired could be securely held shut to keep venting to a minimum.  And, if a shot failed to go off, I guess you could try shooting it out with the next charge in line instead of pulling it.

This looks like a predecessor to the Lindsay musket of the 1860s.   That one was loaded powder-ball-powder-ball, but instead of a movable lock assembly, the hammer was split so the two halves hit on separate nipples.   The first trigger pull dropped the hammer onto the forward nipple, the second pull dropped the hammer on the rear one.  Not too surprisingly, both charges going off at once was a problem - the rear minie ball was the 'gas seal' to keep fire from the forward charge going off from setting off the rear charge.   If these flinters used patched RB, that might have given more protection from multiple discharges.

An interesting find.   SCL

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 04:22:56 PM »
I believe Jeptha Simms mentions guns of this design (with the sliding lock) being made in in New York in one of his books (Trappers of NY maybe).

Mr Simms interviewed the surviving early frontiersmen of the Mohawk and Adirondak regions of NY and gave some interesting details in several books.
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:24:08 PM »
I have seen photos of guns of this type, and my first thought about firing one is,
"Hey y'all watch this."   

Having once loaded two rounds on top  of one another  while being distracted, I can only imagine what it would be like to fire three, four, or more rounds with one pull of the trigger with one of these pieces.  :P

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:55:36 PM »
These were not all that successful.
When looking at things of this sort one much remember that lots of things were tried, this idea was fairly popular. But how popular they were with those that used them is something else.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine