Author Topic: Black powder trail  (Read 6103 times)

Al Lapp

Black powder trail
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:50:31 AM »
/I am putting in a black powder trail at our club. I have the trail cut in, the shooting positions, and target positions in. Am waiting for the O. K. from the government inspector in Victoria. My Question is do you people shut down your trails during fire season. I am concerned as I will be taking over the responsibility for this function at our club. In my personal experience I have never had a smoldering patch. One of the rules will be only loading at the firing area. This way if someone is using a spit patch it won't have time to dry out. Thank for any help Al

Offline bluenoser

Re: Black powder trail
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:29:33 AM »
Al,

PM sent.

Laurie

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »
Loose ball/patch combo causes those occurences so it might be a good idea to 'go over this with the shooters prior to the 'shoot'.   We do not shut down; but it could happen.....

Would a fair sized bucket of h2o satisfy the 'inspector' ??? At each station....

Is it a fact that your gov't does insist on inspecting your shooting layout?? Cripes! :o

Al Lapp

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:40:06 PM »
Roger;
  The range will be open at all times exept for the one day a month that the cowboy action shoot. Also if three or more shooters then one will be appointed R.O. Being open at all times to all members of the club who shoot muzzleloader it will be dificult to know how each one is loading. As it would be possible for only one person to be shooting the trail. The concern of a fire hazard was mine, it was not mentioned when the inspector went through the trail with me. Thanks for the imput.     Al

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:44:58 PM »
Roger;
  The range will be open at all times exept for the one day a month that the cowboy action shoot. Also if three or more shooters then one will be appointed R.O. Being open at all times to all members of the club who shoot muzzleloader it will be dificult to know how each one is loading. As it would be possible for only one person to be shooting the trail. The concern of a fire hazard was mine, it was not mentioned when the inspector went through the trail with me. Thanks for the imput.     Al
I assumed wrongly seems like, the w walk would occur only on organized occasions.   

doug

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 10:54:52 PM »
     We are just south of you (Nanaimo) and we shut our trail down after our rendezvous (July 1st) and don't shoot it again until October assuming we have some rain in October.  Even at the end of June, we have forestry pumper cans along the trail in case of a smoldering patch.  We also walk the trail at the end of shooting at that time to check for a smoldering spot.  From November to May, the bush is damp enough not to be a problem.
    Last year in particular we had a couple or three patches that smoldered and had to be stamped out.

cheers Doug

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 02:48:04 AM »
Al, you've raised an interesting point.  We shoot all year round up here in north central BC, and do not make provisions for fire-fighting, though we should.  I have the luxury of knowing almost all of the shooters who use our trail - I say almost, because I can never know who might use it when I'm not there.  None of our shooters have burning patch problems, though we watch for it with diligence.  Your thread is a wake up call, and we shall make some pro active provisions for our upcoming summer season.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 04:52:46 AM »
Suggestion: If the ground is dry, preemptively hose down the first 20-30 feet of each firing lane before the range opens. An ounce of prevention...

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:23:34 PM »
At Hefley Rondy last year, a bucket of water was stationed at each firing post due to rather dry conditions with 6% humidity. There was the odd burning patch, extinguished with a cup of water from the bucket after closing the range for the few seconds necessary, but not many.  Most people there use tight enough combinations that prevent this from happening, but there are still the odd person who doesn't & therefore precautions must be taken.  We are supposed to be in for another 'dry' one this year.   

doug

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 10:34:26 PM »
     I started one smoldering Port Alberni because we had to shoot over an old rotten stump.  Sparks from the muzzle got into the dry punk on the top of the stump.  Saw the smoke and put it out.  Last year, it seemed to be just one gun and thin spit patches that I think were the problem.  Re the comment about spraying down the trail; our trail is accessible on foot only and winds through the trees.  It is also around 300 yards long and would take a tank truck to wet down plus that would dry within a few hours.

cheers Doug

Al Lapp

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 02:40:01 AM »
Received the O.K. today to proceed with the trail, so I guess it's HO. HO. and off to work I go. Also am considering Doug's advice and will probably close the Range for the High risk months. Will probably discuss this with Bob & Terry who are in charge of the ranges at the club. Also I load my guns pretty tight ( it take a good whack with my palm to get a ball started ) so maybe that is why I haven't noticed a problem with smoldering patches. Also thanks Taylor this is surely a very informative site.         Al