Author Topic: Flash Cup Question  (Read 6372 times)

Ray-Vigo

Flash Cup Question
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:08:19 AM »

A couple questions about Percussion Flash Cups:

Are these original type equipment, or are they a modern contrivance made to help protect the gun's condition?

Do they reduce the function at all of the nipple? One of my concerns is that attaching one will cause the nipple not to screw into the drum as deeply, and risk a blow off or problem with the nipple. Or would the hammer hold it down? What about flame-- does a nipple riding a little higher due to installed flash cup hamper ignition at all?

The cups I have in mind are the usual "deep" type brass ones you see at Track or Log Cabin.

northmn

Re: Flash Cup Question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »
Whether or not they are original, they are a good idea as they do protect the gun from corrosion from the flash.  I have used them for years and never had any problem, both the deep style and the other conical style.

DP

Offline bgf

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 02:38:42 PM »
Mine is from Track, and it works well at safely redirecting the force of the "blast" and keeping residue to a minimum.  Makes loading a cap somewhat more difficult, not to mention getting the nipple in and out slightly harder, but those are minor annoyances compared to the benefits. 

Try it -- for $3 or something like that, you haven't lost much if you don't like it, and it's easy to take off.

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:15:51 PM »
I use them on guns with drum bolsters because of my tendency to shift my forehand back toward the lock to adjust the balance of most rifles while shooting.  Without it, I get burning fragments on my forearm, or worse, down my sleeve.

Some you buy are a little domed where they are perforated for the nipple.  It's a good idea to use a flat punch and a gentle tap to flatten them before installing.  Normally you lose about 1 thread of nipple engagement with a cup, but I've seen domed ones that cost your nearly three threads----- and that makes me nervous.

You can also shorten them or relieve them on one side or the other for more convenience in capping, decapping or using a nipple wrench.  They're waaaaaay taller than they need to be to do their job.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »

A couple questions about Percussion Flash Cups:

Are these original type equipment, or are they a modern contrivance made to help protect the gun's condition?

Do they reduce the function at all of the nipple? One of my concerns is that attaching one will cause the nipple not to screw into the drum as deeply, and risk a blow off or problem with the nipple. Or would the hammer hold it down? What about flame-- does a nipple riding a little higher due to installed flash cup hamper ignition at all?

The cups I have in mind are the usual "deep" type brass ones you see at Track or Log Cabin.

The hammer won't hold the nipple down. But most nipples have a significant rebate so having something .040" thick under the nipple is not likely to greatly effect the number of threads engaged. Just make sure the thread fit is good.
The purpose of these things is to keep cap fragments away from the shooters face.
They require removal to get fouling out from around the nipple.
Dan
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 04:47:16 PM »
Not to be contrary; but I tried one (among other things in this game) and found the darn thing turned debris up into my forehead and I was not comfortable with losing one or more nipple threads so I discarded the thingee.  I would add that I'm a stock crawler ::)

If the nipple is at the 'wrong' angle debris can (w/o the cup) run down the lower forearm into your forward arm.  I would expect that deepening the hammer cup with your favorite dremel may correct that :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:27:38 PM by Roger Fisher »

BrownBear

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »
I would expect that deepening the hammer cup with your favorite dremel may correct that :)

Nope, in fact it makes it worse in my experience. 

I suspect the fragments in the forehead are a combo of gun fit and angle of the bolster.  I've got real prominent cheekbones that keep my head pretty upright when shooting (and hence I like styles with a fair bit of drop), so forehead issues never would have occurred to me.  But it would take only once for me to swear them off!

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 05:22:10 PM »
I have installed them on two rifles that were owned by two women shooters and they like them but I trimmed down the height and reduced the bottom thickness of the cup so that the nipple had good engagement -- no problems ;)!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 07:34:23 PM »
Had them on several pop guns and didnt notice any difference except the extra area to clean.    Gary

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 12:05:03 AM »
I've used them with no problem unless I wear a hat. Then the brim will catch debris and direct it back into my face. Can be unpleasant.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 06:23:39 AM »
Not to be contrary; but I tried one (among other things in this game) and found the darn thing turned debris up into my forehead and I was not comfortable with losing one or more nipple threads so I discarded the thingee.  I would add that I'm a stock crawler ::)

If the nipple is at the 'wrong' angle debris can (w/o the cup) run down the lower forearm into your forward arm.  I would expect that deepening the hammer cup with your favorite dremel may correct that :)

The cups are a bandaid for a poor breech design. Depending on the angle of the nipple they may or may not cause problems with fragments. If the angle is pretty steep the cap flash is not directed at the shooter.
Having an eroded nipple will greatly increase gas escape and projectiles.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Ray-Vigo

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:23:17 PM »
Some good thoughts here so far. Is anyone here using one of these on a conversion-type system like Large Siler Percussion w/drum system?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 09:48:04 PM »
Some good thoughts here so far. Is anyone here using one of these on a conversion-type system like Large Siler Percussion w/drum system?

Yes, thats the type I'm referring to...and a siler at that!

Offline Frank

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 10:34:15 PM »

Exactly, the same thing happened to me. 2 shots and I threw it away.

BrownBear

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »
If the angle is pretty steep the cap flash is not directed at the shooter.
Dan

I haven't experienced frags in the head, but I can envision how changing the drum orientation would potentially fix that.  But changing the angle doesn't do a thing for the frags going down and around a drum bolster.  For that problem, the cups are the only solution I've found.