Author Topic: Attaching strap to lobed horn  (Read 2734 times)

digger

Attaching strap to lobed horn
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:17:44 PM »
I would like to see some pics of lobed horns and how you folks attach the straps to them. I just finished this one, and was at a loss as to the best way to attach to the front and back, would welcome any pics for different perspective, Thanks, Digger

BrownBear

Re: Attaching strap to lobed horn
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:46:23 PM »
I've always used straps rather than wangs, so my lobes are a little further apart.  No pics handy, but I think I can describe it. To attach them I sew with the same thread I used for the bag.  I've gone as narrow as 1/4" on the straps and still sewn them- a single row of stitching for a strap that narrow.  I can just squeeze in two rows of stitch on 3/8" straps, but mostly I'm happiest with 1/2" straps.  I've also used just a couple of stitches on 1/4" straps to hold them in place, then wrapped over them with artificial sinew.  That looks pretty primitive while being secure and streamlined.  You could do the same with your wangs.

BTW- When using straps, it pays to pre-stretch the leather that's going around the horn, rather than letting it stretch on its own and loosen after you've sewn it on.

Great looking horn, BTW!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:46:51 PM by BrownBear »

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: Attaching strap to lobed horn
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 02:54:03 AM »
Digger, I split the leather strap and taper the two halves sort of like frog legs with each going through the lobe and knotted individually on the back.  On the throat end I cut a button hole in the leather strap large enough to stretch over the forward ring.  I don't think there is any such thing as correct in this matter as original users would have come up with as many variations as there were horns. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:55:52 AM by Jerry V Lape »