Author Topic: Just in time for Turkey Season  (Read 7142 times)

Berks Liberty

Just in time for Turkey Season
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:27:46 PM »
Here's the new addition to my collection.  I just finished it last week just in time for turkey season.  ;D

Jason

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Just in time for Turkey Season
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »
Nice gun. How bad does it kick?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 10:22:40 PM »
If I was a turkey, I'd like to be killed with that. What gage?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Berks Liberty

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:57:55 PM »
I had it on the range this last weekend, playing around with different loads.  To me it kicks like any 20g.  The barrel is a Colerain Turkey Barrel.  This is my first smoothbore so I love shooting it.  I even had my dad try it out since he's never shot a flint before.  He really loved it. 

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 04:43:22 AM »
Nice gun!  I love the look, like a well cared for antique.  Any luck yet with it and Turkeys?

Ed
Ed Wenger

coutios

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:16:08 AM »
  Now that's a color that I really like.... A little info would be good..  Looks real nice good job...

Regards
Dave

northmn

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »
New guns are fun, good luck with it.  Nice job.  Someday I will finsih my "smooth rifle".

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 02:18:01 PM »
I had it on the range this last weekend, playing around with different loads.  To me it kicks like any 20g.  The barrel is a Colerain Turkey Barrel.  This is my first smoothbore so I love shooting it.  I even had my dad try it out since he's never shot a flint before.  He really loved it. 
I was curious as it has alot of drop. As long as it's not beating you up it should make a great turkey slayer. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Berks Liberty

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 03:27:59 PM »
Nice gun!  I love the look, like a well cared for antique.  Any luck yet with it and Turkeys?

Ed

It's maiden voyage is this week.  should be fun!

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 03:31:38 PM »
Nice work, Jason. Even the turkeys in our valley are shakin' in their boots  ;D Thanks for sharing .. Bill

Berks Liberty

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
  Now that's a color that I really like.... A little info would be good..  Looks real nice good job...

Regards
Dave

I used Laurel Mountain Forge's stain and barrel brown on it.  I started off with two coats of LMF's Honey Maple.  After totally dry I lightly burnished the wood and hit the wood with Aquafortis and heated until I had a nice light red color then hit with 0000 steel wool.  I then covered it in one coat of LMF's Lancaster Maple.  I didn't use any oil on it.  I used Renaissance Wax.  I've used this on different projects and haven't had any issues. It gives me the satin finish and hardens quick and doesn't leave finger prints.  I'll put a couple of coats on the wood, brass and all of the metal parts.  

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 03:39:32 PM »
Nice fit and I really like the wood and metal finshing.  Tell us more about how you accomplished it.  What is the architecture of the stock??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Berks Liberty

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 03:41:59 PM »

I was curious as it has alot of drop. As long as it's not beating you up it should make a great turkey slayer. ;D
[/quote]

When my brother shot it, it kissed his cheek so I showed him how I hold it and then he loved shooting it.  I love Berks rifles and I learned not to put my face to far forward on the comb which will kiss you harder.  As for the butt plate, I don't know it doesn't seem to beat me up.  

Jason

Berks Liberty

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »
Nice fit and I really like the wood and metal finshing.  Tell us more about how you accomplished it.  What is the architecture of the stock??

I just posted the wood and metal finish.  I based the rifles architecture from an earlier John (Johan) Palm from Womelsdorf, Pennsylvania.  My hometown.  He was an ancestor of mine so I wanted to base this build off of him.  With photos and actually getting to look at his work I used many of his characteristics on this one.  The rifles I looked at didn't have a trigger plate just the trigger inletted into the wood.  I used a nice long wood screw through the tang.  The patchbox was copied from two different original Palm's.  I went with pins to hold the barrel to the stock, he used both.  This was my first rifle where I tried to make as much as I could in my shop.  That was alot of fun!  I'll keep trying new things as I build more. 

Jason