Author Topic: Bear pictures from New Brunswick  (Read 6738 times)

flintlock

Bear pictures from New Brunswick
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:36:28 AM »

Flintlock :)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:29:10 AM by flintlock »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: pictures from New Brunswick
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 03:07:11 AM »
Congrats to you, can you tell us about your gun and load, yardage and bullet performance?       Gary

flintlock

Re: pictures from New Brunswick
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 03:21:10 AM »
I shoot a flintlock, of course. It has a .50 caliber swamped 38 inch Goetz barrel. I loaded 90 grains of Swiss FFFg behind a .490 Hornady ball with pillow ticking patch lubed with T/C Bore Butter. That load produces 2050 fps MV in my rifle.

The bear showed up at 6:45 PM. The shot was across a former beaver pond at exactly 40 yards. The shot broke his upper right front leg then travelled through his chest cavity. I found the ball just under the skin on the far side. It left a pretty good "dimple" in his skin. The bullet looks like a pancake; ~7/8 inch diameter, 3/16 inch thick.

He scrambled through some very thick brush for about 15 yards before he entered more open woods. At that point he left an impressive blood trail. We found him about 60 yards from the bait bucket.

It's surprising how small the body is after you take off his pajamas. Despite a bear's appearance, his boiler room isn't really very large.

He has a "wickedly" plush coat and a few white spots on his chest. I may look into a full body mount; maybe standing holding a sticky bun. They always say eating too many donuts will kill you.

Flntlock  :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:27:58 AM by flintlock »

flintman-tx

Re: Bear pictures from New Brunswick
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »
What do you estimate his weight at ?

Buzzard

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 09:03:15 PM »
You're havin way to much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Love those pics!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:27:48 PM »
Hard to get that  ;D off your face isn't it!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NICE BEAR!
Tom C.

flintlock

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 05:31:27 AM »
The bear was not as large as it looked when it was at the bucket. Even the guide said it looked like a "really nice bear" when he saw the video. The bucket was not hung as high on the tree as most other baits. And as I mentioned above, the bear's pajamas were exceptionally thick. Fur doesn't weigh much. I'm told spring bears weigh a good 25-30% less than fall bears, but you won't find a plusher coat than on a spring bear. I have to agree with the coat part. I've taken two New Brunswick spring bears and they do have very thick coats. Some of the hair is over 4 inches long.

My son got me into recording the hunt on video. I have an Ultra Pod mini tripod that I can Velcro to a branch or post. I had it in position with the lens extended so that all I had to do was hit the record button to wake it up and start recording. The photos in my post were single frames extracted from the video.

Though my son didn't get a bear, he got some WICKED video, including a cub that scared him by racing up a tree about 6 ft in front of him in his tree stand.

TinStar

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 12:10:43 PM »
Nice going flintlock!!! And great stills from the video!

TinStar

Offline alex e.

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 03:44:45 PM »
Well done, :) ;)Thanks a lot for sharing.

Alex.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »
Congrats, Flintlock.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 06:23:10 PM »
Yes, the size of a bear can fool a person, been there!      If it would have been a walleye I could have thrown it back but not a dead bear (although I was tempted)

Thanks for posting. :)

BrownBear

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 07:45:10 PM »
Small bears make my mouth water, and the great pelt is a bonus.  Revealing my own priorities, I'll pass up a big bear for a smaller one any day of the week.  Pelts are waaaaaay down my list of considerations- nice to have, but not if you end up with a freezer full of mediocre to poor meat.

Serious congrats.  You'll relish every bite.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »
Excellent shooting there, flintlock!  Looks like you had a great hunt.  Enjoy that bear!
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 01:19:15 PM »
Sure looks as if you are happy, as well  you should be. Great hunt. I hope I do as well. Leaving for northern MB in a week.
Gene