Author Topic: Tommahawk vs Belt Axe  (Read 22817 times)

jasontn

Re: Tommahawk vs Belt Axe
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 05:14:07 AM »
i had one of those cold steel hawks. mine was made in taiwan. it took a good edge and i regret having sold it. i welded up the set screw hole in the side of the head and removed the epoxy coating, and changed the handle. the demo dvd that came with it was great too.

Offline blackdog

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 06:02:47 PM »
Anyone ever used coldsteels rifleman hawk?  I think its just a upscale version of the trail hawk.  Can't decide which one to get.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

jbignell

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 06:41:15 PM »
Blackdog, a good friend of mine swears by his rifleman's hawk, made by Cold Steel.  I've had the chance to get my hands on it a few times, and she certainly carries some heft.  It is a very heavy hawk, which works well when a good deal of work needs done, but it's also not something I would want to carry with me for an extended walk about.  Cold Steel's quality is excellent and their steel is fantastic, the only drawback, if you would consider it one, is that all of their tomahawks are drop-forged, and given an epoxy coating (giving it with a clearly modern look).  Jasontn has done some neat work on a  CS Trailhawk to reduce this and it came out quite sharp.  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:42:43 AM by jbignell »

Offline blackdog

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 08:29:49 PM »
I am going to order the trailhawk then.  I just want something to carry in the woods, and another heavy object doesn't appeal to me.  Do you know they  take the standard TOW handles or are they different?  $13 from coldsteel seems pretty steep.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

dannybb55

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 12:43:47 AM »
Please consider supporting your local blacksmiths instead of some offshore factor, unless you want a generic one. Small axes are relatively quick to build and the tempering is no problem. I promise to not put any epoxy on the head.
                                                    Danny
                                                      Beaufort, NC

jbignell

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 03:59:30 AM »
In reference to the above post, the fact that cold steel's tomahawks are made by the "American Tomahawk Company", yet mass-produced in Taiwan, is one of the reasons that I quit carrying their trailhawk.  It is a dependable tool that works well though.  In regards to your question, when I carried the trailhawk, I used the hickory handles available from Crazy Crow and they fit very well.  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:41:50 AM by jbignell »

dannybb55

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 04:47:15 AM »
  ;D

Offline blackdog

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 01:37:56 AM »
This may be a bit off the subject but when making/carrying your own handles what is the wood preference?  I want to start making my own and have a tons of wood at my disposal.  Hickory is out where I live but I do have access to alot of birch, cherry, maple and ash.  They all rank fairly high on the janka hardness test, but I figured I'd ask.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

omark

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 05:12:55 AM »
id go with maple or ash.  jmho  mark

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 06:56:38 AM »
I would go with ash.  It is commonly used for axe and other tool handles in the northeast.   It is a tough wood and compared to birch and maple, I think it has more of a tendency to flex rather than break.  For maximum strength, I recommend straight grain running vertically (cutting edge to poll) through the handle.

Laurie

g.pennell

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »
Do you have any osage orange (bois d'arc, hedge apple, hedge wood, etc) in your neck of the woods?  Osage is a very tough wood that makes beautiful, almost indestructible tool handles (around here we say it's harder than woodpecker lips...).  The bright yellow of freshly worked wood will darken to a pleasing burnt orange sort of color from exposure to sunlight.

I just hafted an old Dixie tomahawk head with a piece, and will try to get some photos up later today.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2010, 06:40:09 PM »
I got the one from "The Gun Works" that Brownbear recommended. It was a little rough and needed some cleanup, and the handle was a bit too long for the piece, and needed some better fitting to the head, but what can you expect for $23? Anyway after a little bit of file work and some fitting, adjusting and finishing the handle it is exactly what I was seeking. Hand forged head, hickory handle. It is the perfect size and small/light enough to carry without much bother, but perhaps most importantly, it is the same general size of most historical pieces that I have seen in museum displays.

No stamping of country of origin, so I assume it is not an import.

Offline blackdog

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 11:45:08 PM »
G.Pennell,  I really dont have any of those woods.  That sounds like alot farther south than northern wisconsin.  I might pick around at the lumber yard and see, they have some really nice walnut though.  Not sure what I'd do with it maybe knife handles or something.  If you have a supply of Osage wood maybe we can work something out?
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

g.pennell

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »
Blackdog, osage is really common throughout the mid-west...might find some in old fence/wind rows (look for the funny looking green "fruit").  I might have a chunk or two down in the shop rafters if you can't find it locally...PM me your mailing address.

Greg