Author Topic: Abner Howe 100505-3  (Read 11807 times)

Offline nord

Abner Howe 100505-3
« on: May 23, 2010, 04:01:38 PM »

Comments:

This is a handsome and important piece of Americana.  I wish more had survived (and were in my collection!!). 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a beautiful New England fowler, with elegant and understated details of high quality.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wonderful and important fowler, I can't see anything that would keep it out of the library.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Abner Howe 100505-3
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:32:24 PM »    Reply with quote Modify message Remove message Split Topic
This information is a little late in coming, but will satisfy numerous question about the Abner How(e) NE gun.
Overall length.................................................62 inches
Barrel length..................................................45 &3/4 inches
Caliber.........................................................  . 64
Pull.................................................................16 & 1/2 inches

The new pictures appear to show a fore end splice. As it serves no educational value that I know of, I would personally suggest that picture not be posted in the library. Reference to "restoration", at most, would be fine or no discussion of it would be fine by me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The splice is a period repair and may represent the blow that felled Howe.

Wow...what a great unmolested Fowler complete with bayonet lug. Yes, we should show & discuss the forstock splice, if it is indeed period. I would suggest many started out life with same. Have owned two pre-Rev New England Fowlers with original spliced stocks. See Tom Grinslade's book Flintlock Fowlers for reference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The splice looks old and original, particularly with the iron staple a short distance beyond. Since the forestock section lacks the molding line of the preceding section, I think the  forward section was added after the gun left the shop. But it is correctly spliced with the angled cut, and is period. It is not restoration in any sense of the word; rather, it is an interesting detail attesting to the gun's early usage, and clearly shows how early forestocks were mended in their period of use.

Where's XXXX when we need him? He's posted a couple of good comments on prior guns with period repairs, making a clear distinction between repairs that are part of the gun's history, vs. those that are later enhancements. I like XXXX's thoughts on period repairs, and considering them as educational since they show events in the working life of the gun, and also show the value the original owner placed on his gun by repairing and keeping it in good working order when damaged. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 09:51:23 PM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Abner Howe 100505-3
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 06:01:13 PM »
Hi,
What a splendid NE fowler.  I wonder if the forestock repair had something to do with the mounting the bayonet.  It seems to me that there is not sufficient clearance behind the bayonet lug to accommodate the slot and skirt of a socket bayonet.  At best I think the skirt of the bayonet would butt up against the end of the stock.  That might transmit force against the stock and break it. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."