General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

antique shop knife- ideas? Wick, Chuck, Randy, others?

<< < (3/3)

Brian Jordan:
Here is an old knife I picked up at a gun show. I decided to leave it as is.

hyltoto:
Trick is getting a nice sheath made, I really like the looks of that knife!

T*O*F:

--- Quote ---Trick is getting a nice sheath made,
--- End quote ---

Same style knife.....different application.  This one is tied between the pouches of a double bag, but can also be taken loose and slid into my sash if I want to carry it that way.

T.C.Albert:
Those are all nice knives...the big one that started the thread is a brisket or "steaking" knife I think...big blades like that were slaughter house and butcher shop work knives, but the farms would have needed them too for butchering large stock. I cant tell if its factory or hand made, but with just 4 pins I suspect its home made? Dating it is pretty hard, but I would guess early 20th century, or very late 19th??? Factory made blades like that were usually marked, and marketed by firms like Dexter to professional meat cutters.

As Randy said, I think making it into an 18th century styled piece would indeed require a bit of grinding...theres alot of steel there, and I dont think that was too common for the average "trade" knives of the era...You could grind a rat tail tang onto it and mount it into an antler crown with a poured lead or pewter ferrule...that makes a neat looking "frontier "style knife...a regular "Long Knife" knife...weather such a converted blade is strictly PC or not is questionable, but they sure do look nice, and the steel is usually excellent on old knives, so you would have a good working too as well...and if it is a home made knife to begin with, so much the better...the wavy spine and hammer marks will look great if it has them.
And it would still slaughter water melons as needed.  ;D

Thanks for sharing the pictures...
T.C. Albert   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version