General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

antique shop knife- ideas? Wick, Chuck, Randy, others?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Larry Pletcher:
Here is a somewhat similar knife that was made by my grandfather  sometime after 1900.  My dad thought he used a piece of band saw blade.  It butchered countless hogs and cows.  Grandpa was one of those guys that the neighbors call when they were ready to butcher.  Everybody helped everybody in those days.  It was obviously sharpened a lot, leaving little blade to compare with yours.  There are no markings of any kind, and the handle slabs appear to be held on with nails.

I plan no changes to it except to use it.  It sharpens easily and touches up nicely with a steel.

Regards,
Pletch

Randy Hedden:
Rich,

If you really want to make this into an 18th century trade knife I believe you could use the upswept shape for the blade except considerably shorter. Maybe an 8"-9" long blade. The handle would also have to be made maybe as much as an inch shorter say down to 4-1/2" long, and possibly make it into a half tang. That should make it fit into the 18th century?

Trade knives are just not my thing. Maybe someone like Chuck Burrows or Tim Albert would have more ideas about this.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

Brian Jordan:

--- Quote from: Longknife on September 07, 2008, 06:23:41 PM ---Rich, I really like the looks of that ol' knife, I wouldn't change a thing!!!!...Ed

--- End quote ---

I agree totally

rich pierce:
You guys make sense.  Heck, I must have bought it because I like it the way it is!  I just sharpened it up and told my wife "It's obviously a watermelon knife" and stuck it in the kitchen drawer.

Dphariss:
I have some modern (old Hickory etc) butcher knives Dad has picked up in yard sales and such in AK that are pretty similar to this I use for salmon and cutting up deer etc. Its a very useful blade shape.
Knives such as this have disappeared in modern America for the most part since most people have no use for them them. Also dishwashers are hard on the blades and handles.
Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version