Author Topic: Flared Muzzle?  (Read 12837 times)

digger

Flared Muzzle?
« on: May 22, 2010, 01:46:32 AM »
I have a question for all you guys. I see some rifles without a muzzle cap, instead they have a "flared" end on the stock, with the wood flaring out at the business end of the swamped barrel. Can someone tell me what this is called, and how it fits in historically. I attached this pic to demonstrate, Thanks

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Flared Muzzle?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 02:04:56 AM »
I'd say that does not fit in historically.

;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

billd

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 02:23:34 AM »
I think I've seen that feature on English guns.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:23:47 AM by billd »

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 03:19:12 AM »
If memory serves me (it usually doesn't), didn't TOW used to show an Issac Haines built that way in their previous catalog?  I think they called it a "schnabble" or something like that.  I gave away my old catalog.
Kunk

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 04:09:22 AM »
I'd say that does not fit in historically.

;)
You got my vote on not being historically correct.  The nose cap on an American gun should parallel the flare of the barrel.
DMR

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 07:09:18 PM »
This is some contemporary builder's idea of what looks nice.  The horn nose piece on some Jaeger rifles have a bit of a flare, but nothing like that.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 11:51:53 PM »
I've done a lot of barn guns and I usually follow the contour of the barrel.   The exaggerated flair at the muzzle doesn't
do much for me....................Don

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 01:53:53 AM »
Well Tod I'd say that you have your answer.  I'd have to see a really well documented example to overide the people who have responded already.

Skillman
Steve Skillman

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 02:13:57 AM »
Yuk!  Someone decided that being too lazy to fit a muzzle cap to prevent spliting the end of the stock they went wiiide with the wood.  It does look screwy!

nc_cooter

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 03:30:51 AM »
That one, or one like it, has been up for sale on Gunbroker at least 3 times. Don't know if it sold last time or not. I made a bid but didn't get it. First thing would have been to redo that flare and cap it. Glad I didn't win, cause I got much nicer gun from Tip Curtis.
Mike

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 03:33:00 AM »
Reinactors call that a FARB.  A slight flair with bone or horn on European rifles mostly German in origin, and early woud be appropriate but not an american gun.  It's pure fantasy.  With a little work, it can be more correct.  It's like putting a german lock on an East Tennessee rifle, it's not right, and it's a dead give away that it's wrong..

Bill
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:38:45 AM by Bill Knapp »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 08:44:02 AM »
I have a question for all you guys. I see some rifles without a muzzle cap, instead they have a "flared" end on the stock, with the wood flaring out at the business end of the swamped barrel. Can someone tell me what this is called, and how it fits in historically. I attached this pic to demonstrate, Thanks

Far too much wood.

This is a pistol is an Americanized English Dueler style with a flared forend.

At the muzzle the wood is only about 5/32" on a side. Much thinner in the waist. 3/32 or so.
Many people leave WAY too much wood on guns especially from the lock forward.
The barrel tapers from 1" to 7/8". Makes a pretty nice weight pistol. But the TG has poor recoil characteristics with more than about 45 grains of powder.
Yeah the barrel key runs at a angle  ::) and I was too lazy to put in 2 of them.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

msw

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »
I think Kunk is right... i did my first build from a blank of lacewood in the Isaak Haines pattern.  The TotW catalogue (number 16) has a really pretty (to my mind, anyway) Haines rifle in it with a schnabble fore- end.  But the flare on the rifle pictured in this post is much more extreme, so i concur with the consensus; it's a FARB for sure.

just one guy's free opinion, and no doubt worth every penny!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »
That's a strange looking critter for sure, but 20 minutes with a good sharp rasp will take care of all that extra wood!
And 10 minutes with a file will take care of the huge gi-normus front sight! ;D

John
John Robbins

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 12:48:34 AM »
RCA 14 the Turvey rifle appears to have such a flared or schnabel end....
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 12:52:59 AM »

I believe the flare on the Turvey gun is is mostly a result of the large size of the barrel's muzzle. It's nowhere near as much wood left as on the gun at the beginning of this thread.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:19:37 AM by James Rogers »

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
A lot of contemporary builders put a slight flare into the muzzle....Buchele recommends this with swamped barrels....the side wall thickness tapering from 3/32" or even 1/16" at the waist to increase to 3/32" or even 1/8" at the muzzle.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Trkdriver99

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 03:45:21 AM »
I know it maybe a FARB but I like it. It is different.

Ronnie

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 05:31:56 AM »

The Turvey is a 1730-40ish English rifle with silver mounts, no cheek piece, and a fowler style guard. The lack of a nose cap seems in keeping with the general fowler style.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 07:44:47 AM »

I think there is a FS rifle in George's "English Guns and Rifles" with a flared forend but can't find the book right now.
I would not call this a "schnabble".
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 05:07:52 PM »

I think there is a FS rifle in George's "English Guns and Rifles" with a flared forend but can't find the book right now.
I would not call this a "schnabble".
Dan
I do believe the slight schnable was used at the rear pipe..mostly!

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 01:47:30 AM »
I do believe the slight schnable was used at the rear pipe..mostly!

The swell at the rear entry pipe is often called a palm swell and it is a major feature on Brown Bess muskets so that the left hand could be placed correctly when using the bayonet. It does show up to a lesser degree on some fowlers and early rifles.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 04:50:43 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing any kind of extra wood or swell at the muzzle of an old gun. They always follow the profile of the barrel.
 I actual built guns when that extra wood swell was popular in the contemporary gun building world. (as did many others here). It was done in the days before swamped barrels were readily available and the swell was to imitate a swamped barre. Lock bolsters were also filed with a taper to kick the rear of the lock panels out to imitate swamped barrel architecture. I was able to resist the fad.... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 04:51:45 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing any kind of extra wood or swell at the muzzle of an old gun. They always follow the profile of the barrel.
 I actually built guns when that extra wood swell was popular in the contemporary gun building world. (as did many others here). It was done in the days before swamped barrels were readily available and the swell was to imitate a swamped barrel using a straight barrel. Lock bolsters were also filed with a taper to kick the rear of the lock panels out to imitate swamped barrel architecture. I was able to resist the fad.... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?