Author Topic: looking for parts for a percusion double shotgun (Perkins London Twist)  (Read 12149 times)

cumberland gap 65

i recently picked up a percusion double barrel shotgun. the stock and locks are all in good shape. the barrels even look good for there age i need to find replacement breech plugs. the existing plugs have been welded.
the markings on the barrel is perkins london twist.
all help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
CG65

Offline 490roundball

any pictures?

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=642.0

I would guess that breech plugs would need to custom built,  the cost might be prohibitive
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

cumberland gap 65

I have pictures and will post as soon as i figure out how to post them.

cumberland gap 65

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Those barrels are awfull, better hand that one on the wall.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline 490roundball

it looks like the ribs have been roughly rewelded, you should see a fine clean line between the ribs and barrels.

is that a bolt through the wrist?

what is the guage?  if you look at the proofs in the link I posted you see that one is a 14.
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

cumberland gap 65

it is an 11 gauge. im no expert but i thing if i could get the breech plugs out and find replacements along with someone that could clean up and reweld the barrel i may be in business.

Offline 490roundball

the barrels should look a little more like this

cumberland gap 65

exactly what i think. where can i get me a set like that?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
exactly what i think. where can i get me a set like that?
To fit that gun? Or just a set of barrels to build a gun around.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

cumberland gap 65

would like to have one fit my gun but if i had a good set of barrels i could build a gun around it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Never going to find a set to fit that gun. PM me, I have an extra set of percussion barrels for sale if you want to make a gun.

Offline JTR

• member 2
Just from looking at the pictures of the barrels, I'd think that old shotgun is firmly in the non-shooter, wall hanger category!
Well at least if you value your fingers, hand, arms and face, as well as other shooters around you!

Just my cautionary 2 cents,
John
John Robbins

Offline nord

Certainly an antique. Given the stamping on the barrel I'd bet really Belgain. Proofs hidden between the stock and underside of the tubes. "ELG"

This old girl would be best relegated to wall hanger status. Not a quality piece to start with and now approaching her 150th anniversary within the next decade or so.

Too much time, money, and effort to rebuild or repair. Too little value now or after. No provenance to give value.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline T*O*F

i thing if i could get the breech plugs out and find replacements along with someone that could clean up and reweld the barrel i may be in business.

Everyone is trying to skirt around the real issue.  Let's be candid about it.
These guns were handmade and handfitted one at a time.  There are no replacement parts available for them.  Thus, that whole process has to be repeated and then the barrels would probably blow up under proof.

The real question is, "Why spend $1500 or more trying to resurrect a gun worth $150, and still have it fail.  Take the money and buy a gun that's good to start with.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline 490roundball

Certainly an antique. Given the stamping on the barrel I'd bet really Belgain. Proofs hidden between the stock and underside of the tubes. "ELG"

This old girl would be best relegated to wall hanger status. Not a quality piece to start with and now approaching her 150th anniversary within the next decade or so.

Too much time, money, and effort to rebuild or repair. Too little value now or after. No provenance to give value.

Bruce -

agree completely with every thing but the JABC evaluation- Perkins was a decent quality gun maker in Birmingham 1850/60 timeframe, the proofs would bear this out.  if the piece was care for - AND THIS ONE WAS NOT, in fact severly abused - in correct condition, they are light responsive bird guns and still have a place in the field - hopefully over a proper setter  :D

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:28:28 PM by Rick Losey »

Dave K

I think this gun maybe English, not Belgium. I personally don't recall the ribs coming loose on a brazed set of barrels like the Belgium barrels are. English barrels though have a good reputation for shedding their ribs. I am not that knowledgeable to tell you if it is the solder that fails, or the flux used in the soldering that rusts the barrels and that the rust lifts the ribs. Like anything though, if you throw enough energy or money or both at it, it could be saved. Only you know if it is worth it.

Offline nord

Usually the London reference points to Belgium. In this case not so... It's a Brit. British guns so stamped are almost always trade guns. This isn't to say unsafe or of poor quality, but it is to say these were not Best guns nor even Keepers guns.

Trade items made to be sold for a good price and hopefully fair value.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

cumberland gap 65

Why dont you tell me what you really think. I love it and i pretty much agree shee is going to be a wall hanger and im going to build me one from scratch.

Dave K

Ok, I would get the breech plugs out to make new ones, using them as copies. While that was going on, I would have the riibs relaid, while the barrels were being checked for too deep of pits. Like I said earlier, you can fix anything if you throw enough effort and money at it. When it all goes back together and everything is declared sound, this good be a good shooter as well.

Offline 490roundball

but it is to say these were not Best guns nor even Keepers guns.

agreed - never was the same as a Purdey or even a Joseph Manton, but heck, most of their keeper guns were actually sourced to the Birmingham trade.  Fit and finish on my Perkins is quite decent. Of course he was actually a maker, not one of the ironmongers who stamped their name on the cheapest thing they could sell.  Heck of a lot of junk out there with misspelled names of better makers - anything like this is definately a buyer beware sort of item.

and they still needed to be cared for - even an H&H is this condition is a wall hanger or lamp project.

Daryl

I don't think this gun is worth restoring to shooting condition and I believe the barrels are probably rotted too badly inside, judging by the deporable condition outside.  Due to the conditon of the breeches, it is highly unlikely it could be made well again in that area without a lot of expensive work and then, as others have said, you really have not too much as a result, that might then blow up.