Author Topic: R.E. Davis Gun Kits  (Read 4661 times)

richardn

R.E. Davis Gun Kits
« on: September 07, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »
If anyyone out there has had any experience building one of the R.E.Davis kits?. If yes, how would you rate the quality? Components? Inletting? Directions? architecture/engineering? Post sale assistance?

Thanks,

Richard Nicholas

Offline J. Talbert

Re: R.E. Davis Gun Kits
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:57:56 AM »
I didn't know R.E. Davis offered kits... perhaps no one else did either???
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

richardn

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 02:19:22 AM »
Jeff - they offer a Jaeger and Fusil Fin under "Muzzleloading Components" on their main web page. From the pictures the kits look pretty good with what appear to be high quality components with a choice of brass, steel, walnut or maple. Competitive pricing as well.

Richard

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:20:08 AM »
Yes, R.E.Davis does sell rifle sets, at least they did a couple of monthes ago. A few years back I put together one of their French Fusil Finn sets. I wanted a rifle with a looong barrel. The barrel is 48"long,Rayle. The lock is their own French lock. It sparks very well I might add. The stock was walnut with iron furniture. The inletting was pretty good. It took a little work to set everything, I never met a pre-carved stock that did'nt. Th BP,trigger guard, side plate and trigger were cast reasonably well. There were no directions. You will have to have the Big three books on building rifles if you don't have experience. Now...... If their rifle is correct that is a matter we don't need to get into. This a touchy subject on just how PC it might be. All in all it turned into a fine rifle. The walnut stock had no sap wood,by the way. Tim is the fella AT R.E.Davis that can answer any more questions.  It really was a nice kit,if you like French.
JOHN ZUREKI