Author Topic: Merry Christmas and Hunting Memories  (Read 2643 times)

Jeff Peters

Merry Christmas and Hunting Memories
« on: December 19, 2008, 06:13:23 PM »
An early Merry Christmas wish to All!

Enjoy the time with Friends and loved ones, and if you get a chance burn some powder!

Here in Pa. our late season flintlock season opens Dec 26th. I always look forward to it each year, even though it is after the reg gun season and the pickings are a bit slim. I make sure that I go out with my two sons and burn a little powder and spend time together, at least one day of that late season.
I'll never forget my oldest first deer, a doe, shot in snow half way to his knees with my old Thompson Center 50 cal. He was about 13 years old. He had the biggest $#!+ eating grin on his face until he realized that now he had to clean it. Took him a little while as I supervised, but it was an experience that both of us will never forget. Afterwards I asked him to let me help drag the deer out to the truck. He stepped back and said with pride" I got it Dad" and he  started to drag it up to the old cabin on the property as I took his picture doing so.
He called from college last night to make sure I have the guns ready so that his little brother and I can get some time with him in after Christmas and hopefully burn some powder.

I also remember a Jan 1 flint hunt where my oldest was about 6years old.
Long story short, I had shot a nice doe up on a ridge. She ran a short distance and went right down. I walked up and made sure she was dead, and then walked back to meet my wife and the two boys, who were to be taking a hike in the snow, but were in the truck with the heater running. I asked my oldest if he wanted to help me find (Track) the deer I had just shot, and he said Great. Mom waited in the warm truck with the youngest.
We found the blood trail and walked right up to the deer. I rolled her over and started to Field dress out the deer while the boy watched in amazement. He had seen deer before even dead ones as we dropped them off at the Butcher, but this was his first view of the insides. As I'm working away he's asking questions and I answer... that's the intestines, liver, heart, lungs etc... When I was finished I stepped back to wash my hands with snow and he bends down and looks up inside the chest cavity and asked...."Where is the Bologna". I about lost it right there. I said "Chris remember we must drop off the deer to Mr Frack, and he'll make the Bologna for us". And he says "Oh yea the guy with the tootsie rolls". The butcher always gave him a Tootsie Roll when we stopped in.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Jeff

Brian Bussard

Re: Merry Christmas and Hunting Memories
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 05:34:32 AM »
One of my fondest hunting memories happened during Pennsylvania's flintlock season several years ago. A snowfall, steady and heavy, coating every twig and branch. I had not yet been bitten by the blackpowder bug, so I grabbed my bow and headed out to the "Big Beech" tree. I could soon see the familiar red and black plaid Woolrich outfit that my father always wore deer hunting. I eased up next to him and we spent the next hour quietly talking.We talked about nothing, and yet everything. Soon we could see the brown forms of several approaching deer. We knew that they would soon be directly in front of us, and we started the old "you shoot" "No, you shoot" routine. I finally convinced Dad to shoot, mostly because I wanted to see if that old Thompson Hawken would go off.
He raised the .50 up to his shoulder and touched her off......BOOM!!!!

The smell of sulphur hung heavy in the wet winter air, and there was a doe kicking her last in the clean new snow only yards from us.....but what was it that was making me feel so warm? A flush of emotion at witnessing my first blackpowder kill? Well yes, it was that, but it was also the flash from the pan that had peppered the whole left side of my face. You see, since I didn't know any better, I stood, directly to my father's right, just as he squeezed off the shot.

Well, he looked at me, then at the doe, then back at me.....and we both just started laughing like we didnt have any better sense!

To this day, I have several small black dots by my ear and above my eyebrow to remember that hunt by, the first deer I ever saw taken by a flintlock, and the last deer I saw my father take, before he lost his fight with cancer.

Sorry to have gone long......sometimes you just have to tell the story

Merry Christmas all......

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
Re: Merry Christmas and Hunting Memories
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:35:42 AM »
Great story, Brian,
Thanks for sharing it.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.