Author Topic: Chunk Shoot - ALR Postal Shoot  (Read 43947 times)

Candle Snuffer

Re: Chunk Shoot - ALR Postal Shoot
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
Has anyone 'spidered' an 'X' as yet, Daryl?

Daryl

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 05:33:46 PM »
Negative.  The X is quite elusive, but Neil Hunter hasn't shot his targets yet. :o  We are lucky his son chose not to enter, but then, a challenge is the reason for the match in the first place.. Taylor and I will be shooting ours soon. I think he's going to use the Kuntz .40 and I'll use .40 as well.
: Time is running out, entries must be mailed by the 15th this month.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 05:07:09 AM »
Daryl,
You are right about that elusive X. I chased it around pretty good but it kept getting away. They aren't very competitive, but I mailed the targets back today. Thanks for your efforts, friendly competition is is always appreciated.
Mark

Mark

Daryl

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 06:04:06 PM »
Tks, Mark - it's amazing how all these "Not competitve" targets look pretty good to me.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 10:24:10 PM »
Daryl,
How many entries did you get and what kind of strings are you getting back so far?
Mark
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2008, 02:39:01 AM »
We've a good bunch of entrants, but not as many as said they'd participate when asked last year.  The strings will be posted when the event is over, sorry.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2008, 03:55:06 AM »
We've a good bunch of entrants, but not as many as said they'd participate when asked last year.  The strings will be posted when the event is over, sorry.
So, all you shooters out there that said yes; but did not compete!! Why not???

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2008, 04:54:40 AM »
So, all you shooters out there that said yes; but did not compete!! Why not???

Does anyone have a count on the number that said they'd throw their hat in the ring and compete as compared to number that actually did compete?

Just wondering?

Dave Marsh

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »
I'm shooting my targets today so they will be on their way tomorrow.  Needed a lot of practice.   ;D

Dave

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2008, 03:43:22 PM »
I expect to shoot my targets either today, or tomorrow at the latest. Good intentions, but busy schedules...don't count the late shooters out yet!

Daryl

« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »
Don't worry, Bob.  We've not shot our targets yet either. Still time, but wil have to do them soon- like maybe tomorrow. The Sockeye are in the river and all reports so far are fantastic. All silver, and extra large this year- up to 13 pounds heaviest so far. THAT is a big Sockeye Salmon.  Flyrods only - and no bears on the river yet to dice things up a bit.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2008, 05:34:49 PM »
Don't worry, Bob.  We've not shot our targets yet either. Still time, but wil have to do them soon- like maybe tomorrow. The Sockeye are in the river and all reports so far are fantastic. All silver, and extra large this year- up to 13 pounds heaviest so far. THAT is a big Sockeye Salmon.  Flyrods only - and no bears on the river yet to dice things up a bit.

Jeez: If I had to get that close to a buster like that I'd give up fishing!  Come to think of it I did that already!   Years ago after falling in to this ML 'trap'  ;D

Daryl

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »
Yeah, isn't he cute - the chocolate and silver one, that is.  Here's a very sort video of one of his brothers, not taken with a telephoto lense setting, by the way. I think that's the remains of the last fisherman who challenged him. ;D

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2008, 04:06:47 AM »
Well, yesterday was one of the few days here that we didn't get rain, so I shot my targets.
Just managed to make the mail too.

Daryl

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2008, 04:09:26 AM »
Tks, Bob.

Dave Marsh

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »
My targets are in the mail as well.  Worst I have shot in 2 months.  I think me and chunk shooting don't like each other.

Daryl

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2008, 05:38:19 PM »
Dave, Taylor thinks as you do.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2008, 10:40:27 PM »
It's looking like I'm screwed! :(

We have had no rain to speak of for 6 or 8 weeks and now, on the day I was able to schedule a range trip, it's been raining all night and continues to rain! :o

Any chance we can extend the deadline? :-[
Mike Lee

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2008, 05:18:00 AM »
Daryl's gone fly fishing for Sockeye salmon with his daughter...he'll be back after the weekend.

From what he has said about the match, there are VERY few entries.  I've been out a couple of times to practice but my shooting was dismal .  Shooting any other way except on my pins is next to impossible for me.  Oh well.  I'll have to live with my targets.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2008, 06:46:04 PM »
I'm baaaaaack!  Got the Sockeye all packaged up, some ready for the butcher to cut into steaks, some cut into meal-chunks for us, some frozen for full-length BQ's. Oh, no bears there this year - YET.
: Tracy got her limit and so did I. Laura got a couple the first day, but since she didn't have her waders, found the water a bit chilly, so didn't fish the morning we left. She'll be back fishing tomorrow.  Fishing was great for us, even though we only had a day and 1/2 of it. We released quite a few and kept some really nice ones. - we've 2 over 10 pounds, a very good size for Sockeye.  I broke one 9 weight rod - my fault, so I caught most on my 15' Spey rod - kind of a dirty trick on the salmon.
: So far - only 2 entries returned - looking for some more soon.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:50:09 PM by Daryl »

Daryl

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2008, 02:08:19 AM »
Received Mark H and David M's targets today. thanks guys. I'll get them scored after supper. Being a week day I cook - this ain't gonna be pretty, but then Sockeye steaks are easy to cook. A little sweet soy-sauce with Wasaby mixed in makes raw salmon, Oh, so good!.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:11:22 AM by Daryl »

Daryl

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2008, 09:51:37 PM »
Received Dave B's targets last night and will score shortly.
: BTW- since target mailing-in is over, I can note that I have reveived many less targets back than were registered.  Sounds as if folks found it more difficult than first perceived. We may do this again next year, so start practising.
: I might as well let the cat out of the bag.  The entry fees will be paid out to the winners.  That means the $80.00 collected as match fees will be distributed to the top 3 places. It isn't much, but that's all that came in.
: I'll bring this back to the top and post the results and list of participants after we get back from Hefley Creek. We leave this Friday morn.
: My special thanks to those 16 who entered.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 03:06:47 AM by Daryl »

Daryl

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2008, 03:06:15 AM »
Bob Miller's targets just arrived - mailed from Ontario on the 12th.  The dog sled must have run into some dry rockey ground, slowed it down a bit.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2008, 04:19:07 AM »
Daryl,
I think we need to have a " most improved" shooter catagory for next year. I will be a shoe in. ;D ;D ;D

Dave B
Dave Blaisdell

Daryl

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »
 ;D David - not as bad as you might think.