Author Topic: Chunk Shoot - ALR Postal Shoot  (Read 43913 times)

Dave Marsh

Re: Chunk Shoot - ALR Postal Shoot
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2008, 11:13:51 PM »
I am sure that I will be number 16 the way I shot.  I don't golf because the more I practice the worse I get and that was the same experience I had with chunk shooting.  I shoot very well off hand and with the sticks so I am going to stay with that.   ::)

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
Dave,
Don't give up, chunk shooting is one of the most agravating games you can play with a rifle. To watch it, it doesn't look like it should be difficult to shoot tight groups from a rest, WRONG!! Keep at it, it's also one of the funner games going.
Mark  :)
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2008, 11:53:47 PM »
Well, you're probably wondering what happend to the Chunk Shoot.  Out of 15 entries, there were only 7 returned targets.  Scoring was all done by me with the same set of calipers, using a paper covered foam board as backing. All targets were scored as close as I could measure, to the nearest thou. with partial thou going to the lower full thousanth rather than raised.  Measuring was centre of the ball to the centre of the + .   The money sent in, $5.00 average per participant, rather than the $3.00 requested, is being divided between the winners.  Note that I said last year, I would put this on out of my own pocket.  Taylor, Neil and I didn't get around to entering - next year we will!  Perhaps this could be an annual event with hostings running around the ALR board?

: Of those returned targets, the string measures were as follows:

: 1st. place 4.264" - Mark Herman - $40.00 - GM barrel - .50 no load data
: 2nd place 6.711" - Roger Fisher - $20.00 - Getz? - 45 - .454 ball, spit + .015 patch - 60gr. 3F sheutzen
: 3rd place 9.039" -  'Candlesnuffer' aka Joe Martin $10.00 - .45(.445 bore) .445 ball + .017 ticking + lube 1000+spit + 55gr.
 3F GOEX
: Closest to the + was David Marsh @ .269" $5.00 - .50  - .495" ball + .018" patch + spit + 50gr. ? powder
: 10.998"
: 13.639"
: 17.383"
: 24.470"

: Congratualtions guys. I'm sure the shooting will be tigher next year.

My thanks to all who participated It was fun doing this - You who compete are all champions.

: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 Oh - forgot to mention - I'll mail the 'winnings' out tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 12:05:14 AM by Daryl »

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2008, 04:09:07 AM »
Daryl,
First, thank you for taking the time to put the postal shoot together. I, and I am sure everyone, appreciate the time and effort it takes. I for one hope it becomes an annual event, perhaps the Canadian/American chunk shoot. For the record, I shot a 50 caliber Green Mountain barrel with a .495 RB and .20 pre lubed patch in front of 90 grs 3f goex, mounted on a H&A underhammer action. Congrats to all who shot.
Mark
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:12:40 AM by smokinbuck »
Mark

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2008, 05:55:14 AM »
I would also like to thank Daryl for putting this on and also extend my thanks to everyone who was a part of this.

Yes, I to think this would make a great annual event and feel that we
should discuss it further over the Fall/Winter/Spring to help make this
happen.

Great fun! :) 

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2008, 02:29:32 PM »
I want to thank Daryl as well. I always appreciate the chance to learn something when shooting, and this was an eye opener. Frankly, I have shot better groups offhand in my day. In practice, the gun shot high , so I compensated..and shot low!  I am definately going to have to look into this chunk shooting thing a little more. Lots of fun. :)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2008, 04:10:26 PM »
Congrats to Mark - his string was super good :'(  Thanks also to Daryl for doing this.  Surpirsed that more entries didn't happen!!! :o  Hope it continues to be held annually or better (ol boys can't wait too long you know)

My hope is that since the entrants are spread around the US and Canada that it will stir up some clubs to put on chunk/log matches in their shoot programs and keep that game alive.  P.S. it gives the ol boys that can no longer hold their own offhand a new/old game to play ;D

Daryl

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
Thanks guys - any event is worthless if it doesn't demand commitment and skill to compete. Chunk shooting is one of those In Spades.  Looks easy, but is much more difficult than benching, that's for sure.  Bench groups have little in common with chunk groups - even though the prone is a favourite positon of mine, it is very much more difficult than I imagined. Next year's Chunk Shoot will have more entrants and competitors, I'm sure.

If anyone needs their targets back, let me know by mail. Just click on my name at the left side of any post and go from there.

Best wishes to the 4 winners of this event, the 1st ALR Annual Chunk Shoot.

My special thanks to all who made this possible with their entries.

Dave Marsh

« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2008, 01:22:46 AM »
Daryl, thanks so much for running this.  I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I got discouraged at the end as I did not shoot as well as I usually do .  I can't believe I won anything.  So I guess I will take Smokinbuck's advice and not give up on chunk shooting.  Just practice some more.  Anyway -- thanks and you can count on me for the next one.  Cheers.

P.S.  If you haven't sent the prize money keep it to pay for the next postal match and save us the postage.....

Assuming you are going to run the next one......
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:25:58 AM by Dave Marsh »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »
Daryl,
As all have said, This has been fun and I look forward to what we put together for next year.
I dont get to shoot at all as much as I used to but this was a great time.

Dave Marsh,
 I think I get to claim that 24" string with how I shot so we may have a hot compition for who is dead last next year.  ;D
Thanks again for your work on this.

Dave B
Dave Blaisdell

Offline LynnC

« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »
Boy did I miss out - I could'a placed......Near the bottom!  I really intended to participate and all spring I had time.  I even practiced.  Then work got busy, Real Busy, and I didn't enter.   Maybe next year.  Sure enjoyed hearing about the shoot though.  Thanks for putting it on..........................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Daryl

« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2008, 05:18:31 PM »
Hey Guys, Denny Minshall from Moscow, Idaho just dropped in for a couple or few days visit. He arrived just after 10PM, left his home in Idaho at 4AM. He's on his way to Anchorage where his wife is already working.  They're moving, lock, stock and barrel, literally.  Nice guy!  Perhaps I can pursuade him to wade through all his 'stuff' in the truck to find his longrifle - I feel a few hours at the range coming up - maybe a short fishing trip, who knows.  We talked until after midnight, now, at 7:20AM, he's still sawing logs.

Daryl

« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2008, 06:29:22 PM »
Here's a picture of the winning targets - Mark Herman! Great shooting. Underhammer .50 - "U" notch with small bead. gonna have to try that sighting myself. The bead in the bottom of the "U" looks like an aperature sight, yet can be raised in the notch for longer ranges. For hunting, it wouldn't be very good as most of a small target animal would be obscured.

Leanin Chair

« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2008, 07:19:37 PM »
Daryl,   Looks like fun. I shoot over-the-log here in Midhigan with Eric Lau.  Put me on your mailing list for the next shoot and I'll join you.

Leanin Chair

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2008, 12:51:45 AM »
Oh....so that's where the shots are supposed to go! :D Now that I know, I hope to do better next time!

Daryl

« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2008, 02:50:04 AM »
I'm embarrased.  I was thinking about the targets, and in particular, Mark's fantasticly low score. Something didn't feel right,  so I decided to re-check the numbers, and lo and behold, I'd missed adding in the score from one target.  I had actually, I'd missed scoring the target all together and only had 4 targets listed on the envelope.  It tured out to be his 3rd best for a total of .985" for the two shotswhich made a grand total of 5.349". He still earned first place, but I'm also feeling better about the scores.

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2008, 05:03:05 AM »
Daryl,
If you recall when you first talked about my score, I thanked you for being generous.  Glad it got right, there are a lot of fellows out there trying hard.  Thanks again.
Mark
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2008, 05:42:54 PM »
Yes, you did say you thought I was being over generous. Kinda made me wonder some as you'd rough-scored your target first.  That's something I always do on postals myself, however I don't mark it on the targets.

Daryl

« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2008, 11:55:20 PM »
I don't think I posted this picture. Note the lube of choice on the bench - that is Taylor practising.

Harnic

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2008, 12:32:36 AM »
Wow!  Looks a lot warmer there than here today buddy!  ;)

Daryl

« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2008, 03:44:37 AM »
Yeah - I had to post this for those who are in the grip of winter. Nothing much else on the news here.  Was a lot warmer - not to hot though, probably in the low 60's.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2008, 12:14:40 AM »
I missed the last shoot.  When is the next shoot? 
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Daryl

« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2008, 07:19:49 AM »
Just looked outside - doublt it's any time soon. ;D