Author Topic: What do you think of my hat?  (Read 17770 times)

BlackleafHats

Re: What do you think of my hat?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 09:48:30 PM »
I've did some demo work for Valley Forge National Park a couple years back when they did a whole day long program focusing on John Laurens. I did a session with the ranger playing Laurens for the day. He talked about pistol dueling while I talked about sword dueling. I also do a show called From Insult to Injury: The Anatomy of the Duel, which VF has shown some interest in having at the park, but I have not tried to take it to any other historical sites yet.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 11:46:41 PM »
Well your hat is nicer than his hat!!

Perhaps you could photodocment your process for designing and making the Quaker hat here on this site, like some of our horn and gun and other artisans have done??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

BlackleafHats

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 12:06:20 AM »
I believe both of those hats were Jas Townsend. The park insisted I use their stuff. Although the cape and boots were mine. Thank God for that cape. Outdoor presentations in February on Artillery Ridge for 7 hours was not a lot of fun, but it did make me deeply appreciative for what our troops went through.

I never thought about photo-documenting the process... HMMM! Interesting idea.

Cheers
Morgan Shea
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:09:27 AM by MJShea »

Offline Artificer

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 08:23:53 AM »
Morgan,

I don't mean to be critical of some, but I don't believe many people truly understand how "foppish" many hats were in the 18th century.  The hat you pictured would have been more likely worn by someone of more means than the poor in the 18th century, but it certainly wasn't foppish for the times.  A hat such as yours would have been worn by famiily members of the merchant or county squire class, unless one was a puritan or of a religous background that required everyone to dress severely plain. 

I'm old enough to remember the days when even those of us as kids and who grew up rather poor just "had" to have a nice hat to go to church and many men wore more dressy hats every day.   Men of the 50's and early 60's would be stunned to see a baseball cap being "in fashion" as the most popular hat today.  I remember when men would not go to town without at least a somewhat dressy hat as they would not have been taken seriously.  I remember when dungaree's or blue jeans were not considered "proper civilian attire" for liberty, even for privates, and you only wore them when hunting or on leave.

We have discussed creating our own historic anachronisms due to our modern mindsets and I think this is another example of this.  Most men n the period would not have purchased the higher quality guns that are often purchased today.   But I'm very glad to see the quality of guns raise so much since I started out in the 70's.  I'm also glad when people like you make things to a higher standard for the period.

Gus

BlackleafHats

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 05:14:56 PM »
Indeed... I would say that this leans more toward the foppish (not one of my hats)

Cheers
Morgan Shea
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:59:31 PM by MJShea »

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 08:16:56 PM »
I must say I continue to wonder about those old enough to look like adults but continue to insist every day is  Halloween.   ;D

Offline Artificer

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 10:12:17 PM »
LOL.  Yeah, I've been guilty that.  I've done so many periods of re-enacting that on more than a few occasions, people have commented I don't "look right" in modern clothes or uniform.   Grin.

Morgan,

The picture of the last hat you showed while peeking around a corner would certainly been considered foppish, except perhaps for a pirate Captain coming to Port Royal.

BlackleafHats

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 11:38:20 PM »
Well then I have just one more link... Really! This also might be of interest to those of you that inquired about fencing demos at historical sites.

I hope you enjoy, and get a chuckle for the beginning of the weekend.

And I think I've officially veered of track of my own thread. So be on the look out for my next hat in the near future.
Cheers
Morgan Shea

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 01:41:39 AM »
I like fencing!!

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

g.pennell

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2010, 02:11:38 AM »
To paraphrase Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee)...THIS is a knife...

Greg

Offline Artificer

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010, 02:42:35 AM »
Taylor,

Only one phrase needs be said about your neat photo above.....

SCOTS WAE HAE !!

Gus

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 05:56:44 AM »
Indeed... I would say that this leans more toward the foppish (not one of my hats)

Cheers
Morgan Shea

Ok Bro. We need to burn that picture and that hat....sooner rather than later!

BlackleafHats

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 04:09:54 PM »

Cheers
Morgan Shea

Ok Bro. We need to burn that picture and that hat....sooner rather than later!

Heck No Bro... That's the official Rogue Sommelier Hat. That is actually Gold Grapevine Lace you see there. I thought you'd seen that one before. It is completely non historical, but is look great in the wine review videos.
Cheers
Morgan

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 04:52:58 PM »
Ive lived a sheltered life doing mostly military or native impressions.  The fanciest Ive ever got with binding was black silk and an engraved silver button on an officers hat.  Are there surviving hats with these fancy bindings, or does it come from period images? 

BlackleafHats

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 06:47:47 PM »
Ive lived a sheltered life doing mostly military or native impressions.  The fanciest Ive ever got with binding was black silk and an engraved silver button on an officers hat.  Are there surviving hats with these fancy bindings, or does it come from period images? 

Luke
The hat directly above I can not answer for as it was made by another company. I have found it very hard to find examples of existing hats on any level. I look to paintings, prints and historical costume books for my inspirations.

Cheers
Morgan Shea

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 04:30:24 AM »
Morgan
Just have to know. Are you as Mad as a?    The wifes question but I like it. By the way, I love the hats.
Steve
Steve Skillman

BlackleafHats

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 05:14:34 AM »
No Mercury is used in my hats... Brain cells are intact!
Cheers
Morgan Shea