Author Topic: Gunsmithing seminar at Bowling Green (pictures added)  (Read 13535 times)

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Gunsmithing seminar at Bowling Green (pictures added)
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:53:47 AM »
The folks are drifting in to the Red Roof Inn in preparation for the Gunsmithing Seminar that starts tomorrow afternoon at WKU. So far I've seen three of the instructors and about a dozen students.

I hope to post a few pictures as the week progresses and encourage any on the students to do the same. :)
GAry
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 08:07:34 PM by flintriflesmith »
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Gunsmithing seminar at Bowling Green
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:17:07 AM »
Gary
Please do.I'm really going to miss being there.I'm haveing serious withdrawl!!!Please say HI!!! to everyone there for me.

Have Fun!!!
Mitch Yates

Michael

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:01:30 PM »
Gary,

Like Mitch I'm going through withdrawl too! I really wanted to take Ron's class this year. Post pictures when you can.

There in spirit
Michael

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 06:12:01 AM »
Here is the traditional class photo taken during the picnic/shoot at Dr. Leeper's farm on Saturday afternoon. A few folks were missing, having left after the three day class or not yet arrived for the six day class.

The river bottom corn field where we shoot was uner 20 FEET of water a few weeks earlier when the huge floods hit Nashville.

Photos in individual classes follow.
Gary
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:37:31 PM by flintriflesmith »
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: Gunsmithing seminar at Bowling Green (pictures added)
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:12:20 PM »
There were two three-day classes this year.

Wallace Gusler had twelve students in a "Learning To Look" session where they examined and discussued about 30 original guns ranging from jaegers to percussion longrifles.

The other three-day class was on doing sheet and wire inlay for longrifles. Here the five students had the opportunity to put  three inlays and some silver wire in a practice "Quaker" stock.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 09:20:47 PM »
There were three classes that lasted the entire nine days of the seminar. Pictures by Mike Ruggero.

Jack Brooks had his folks working on decorating a Christian's Spring rifle. Some chose to work on practice stocks and others on actual (future) rifles.

Jack putting the hinge pin in a side opening box.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:44:41 PM by flintriflesmith »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 09:23:14 PM »
Well, I must say, the three day "learning to look" class was fantastic.  Saw an incredible array of high quality guns.  I think it's safe to say, an opportunity like this doesn't exist anywhere else.  It's alway nice seeing the instructors and fellow students I've come to know as well.  If I've had some success in this gunbuilding thing, there's no doubt a good portion of it is due to the seminar.  Thanks to all involved.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »
Mark Silver lead a nine-day class on stock architecture, shaping, and inletting. Pictures by Mike Ruggero.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:45:07 PM by flintriflesmith »

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »
Ron Scott's class was "Stocking a C. Wilhelm Freund Rifle (Jaeger) ca 1775" Pictures by Mike Ruggero.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:45:54 PM by flintriflesmith »

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 02:07:26 AM »
Looks like some serious learnin' going on there! Thanks for sharing the pics .. Bill Hey

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 05:26:37 AM »
Hi Gary,
Thank you for posting the pics.  I hate to think how long its been since I was there last  ---  probably when we were timing Lynton's locks.  Got a project to discuss with you for next spring.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 07:52:45 PM »
There were two six-day classes that began on Sunday morning.

Jim Chambers, with the yellow name tag and ALR shirt, had 8 students in a class on lock assembly, tuning, and polishing. There were working on castings from an early, relief-chiseled, convex-faced lock that is not yet in production.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 08:10:07 PM by flintriflesmith »

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »
The other six-day class was on longrifle engraving and Wallace Gusler lead this one.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Where are the young folks? ???
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »
The lack of younger builders attending the seminar is a point of discussion every year and one thing that always comes up is--- "I would have loved to come here when I was younger but with wife, kids, job, etc. I just couldn't afford the time or money."

Many years ago we the NMLRA had a scholarship program for this seminar were funds from the previous year could be used to pay at least some of the expenses for a young aspiring builder to attend. We had the Regional reps nominate candidates and write a recommendation. Then, based on where there was room in a class, the instructors picked one. Just to show how far back this goes, Ron Ehlert attended an engraving class with Lynton McKenzie based on this scholarship program.

Next year will be the thirtieth anniversary on the Seminar!

Gary

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 01:36:24 PM »
Out of curiosity. What's a realistic budget for lodging and meals for a 9-day course?

Best regards
Rolfkt

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 04:30:48 PM »
Rolfkt,
The course costs vary a little depending on the supplies/material costs.  It's been a few years since I've attended, so I can't quote you the most recent numbers.
Gary, or one of this years students, can give you the most accurate figures, along with the going rate for lodging in the vicinity.
I'm sure one of them will chime in here.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

brokenflint

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 08:29:18 PM »
Shot you a PM

Broke

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 01:00:08 AM »
Out of curiosity. What's a realistic budget for lodging and meals for a 9-day course?
Best regards  Rolfkt
We have been using a Red Roof Inn that is five miles from campus for several years. They love us and have been able to keep the rates low for the area. I think it was $45/night single but only $47 for a double this year. That is pre-taxes so allow a bit more. Camping is available and some go that route.
Meals can vary all over the place. Each room has a microwave and a fridge so breakfast can be supper cheap--free coffee, fruit, and rolls in the lobby as well.
Breakfast or lunch at some of the local dinners runs about $5. Fast food runs about the same as everywhere. A good dinner can be $12-18 not counting beer!
The real big ticket item for many folks is travel. This year we had folks from both England and Australia!
Materials fees are listed in the program descriptions, as is the tuition--currently $110 per day.
Gary

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 01:06:04 AM »
I am from Ontario, Canada
I was in Bowling Green Last week. June 5,6,7,8.
I did not know about the seminar.
I have not been hanging out here as much as I used to.

The Power Tour that came through town the one day was pretty cool.
And I did catch a hotrods baseball game.

I was looking for real estate in that area. Something in the way of acreage with mature hardwood.
preferrably with a deer hiding behind every other tree and a turkey behind the other ones.
Didn't find anything this time, but I did get hooked up with a good realtor.
BUT if anyone knows of good acreage in Kentucky. I would still be interested.

I am definately going to look into the next seminar.

Pat Cameron

AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 01:16:02 AM »
Pat,
I recommend that you join the NMLRA. The Seminar info is published in Muzzle Blasts every year.
Gary

ramserl

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 02:20:21 AM »
I would love to go and learn in a place like that!  But a job, wife, kids, goats, pigs..... Some day but for now I will have to learn from all of you :)

jwh1947

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 02:55:03 AM »
This can't be anything but good.  An inspiration and a true cultural asset, sight unseen.  Similar to Jacobsburg, no doubt.  Carrying on a tradition.  Add Connor Prairie, Mel Hankla's annual encampment, the House Brothers' contributions, Williamsburg cartel, the Honourable Company of Horners' programs, CLA, Dixon's annual Mecca...and all the individuals that contribute hereabouts, and build us barrels, furniture and locks...hey, there's hope, guys.  World traveler tells you, pure and simple...USA can't be beaten. End of story.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 04:05:04 AM »
I would strongly encourage anyone who is thinking about these classes to scrimp,save and do whatever possible to attend.I have had the pleasure to attend several in the last few years.The instructors are some of the finest builders and teachers in the country.I've been able to study some of the finest original American Longrifles disassembled down to the last screw.I have also made some great friends.I have received way more value in return than what I spent in dollars to attend.

Mitch

Offline Doug Cline

• Starting Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 02:01:33 PM »
I would like to add a quick thanks to Gary and all the instructors at Bowling Green, as always it was great and I had a wonderful time. I recommend to experience to anyone who can find a way to get there.