Author Topic: Bag Critique Please  (Read 7340 times)

longhunter1757

Bag Critique Please
« on: June 04, 2010, 05:04:13 AM »
My first attempt at a bag. Made it for my son per his requested design. He likes it which is enough for me but just the same I'd appreciate your comments and advice.
The time period is supposed to be mid to late 18th century. Something one might find on a simple farmer or hunter from Virginia. It's made from cowhide. Unlined and measures roughly 8x9. Pretty much plain except for the little bit of fringe on the flap I did on a whim.  Small pocket inside and the strap is adjusted with two pewter buttons. The knife sheath is also cowhide. Treated it with neetsfoot oil to darken it up. Didn't attempt to dye or age it as I figure a 10 yr old boy will color and age it pretty quickly.
Please don't hold back gentlemen. I want an honest critique so I can improve in the future.
I just received a copy of Mr. Alberts book and have already learned a few things from it. This bag was completed before I got the book so I'm very curious to see how well I did (or didn't).

His horn is next.

Thanks!

Rich Baker

Offline Dave B

Re: Bag Critique Please
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:32:16 AM »
Rich,
For your first bag I think your doing fantastic. You have thought trough the way to do it and it looks great. Not much not to like about what you have done. There are only a couple  things that I see that I don't like but is being nit picking. One is the pucker at the corners of the bag at the bottom ends. I would rather see the seam sweeping around vs the current state of affairs. The other thing is the tab for the button in the front. I would rather have stitched it to the under side leaving the lip of the pouch clear to let the eye flow around the pouch. The current arrangement causes my eye to drop mid bag.
the tab is highly functional but I would almost rather put a hole in the flap vs use a tab. I think they just look better done that way.  If you are going to go to the trouble of putting that nice double back stitched down edge on the flap I would have put in a liner. That's just me though. Some one made the comment that the majority of the bags out there were not lined at all.  So the only things I have to comment on really are personal preference and structurally of no consequence. Not having made a bag with the button strap adjustment I am not sure I like the idea of the bag being held by only the stitches of the button thought that one layer of leather. I would be inclined to put a patch of leather on the inside of the bag doubling the layer the button stitch has to go through as a bit of insurance about not getting hung up with the bag and popping that button off when the stitches pull through the bag on the back side. With the exception of the button observations  this is really a great bag and he will use the heck out of it for sure. Well done.
Dave Blaisdell

longhunter1757

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:59:40 PM »
Dave,
  Many thanks for your thoughts. I truly appreciate the criticizm and will definitely take those points into consideration on the next one. I also know I need to do a lot more research before embarking on the next. I have to pick up a copy of Madison Grant's book next.

Thanks again!

Rich

Jefferson58

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 07:49:41 PM »
Rich:

That's a pretty nice-looking pouch for your first one. Looks like you got most of the basic construction techniques down pretty well. You stitched the strap to the pouch in the direction of the load (ie. vertical) which is something a lot of folks miss. Everything looks good. Simple, basic, functional piece that probably would be very indicative of a rural, home-made pouch. I have seen originals that were made from different kinds of leather from the front to the back. Some of these folks had to use whatever was available. They often were not very fashion-conscious.

If I was doing it, I would probably do something with the top lip of the front panel. Binding, fold and hem, etc. would all work well, but a raw edge is very functional too, so no big deal. I could not see if the side seams are welted, but that does add to the strength and appearance of the pouch.

Overall, great first pouch!

Jeff

longhunter1757

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:50:30 AM »
Jeff,
   Many thanks!
   Rural and homemade is what I was looking for. I pretty much did use what I had laying around which is why the knife sheath and strap are different. As far as the lip on the front panel, yeah, thought about that after the fact and the more I look at it the more it bugs me so I'm going to fix that. The seams are welted, I believe per your suggestion in another post of mine.
   Looking at stuff made by you, Dave B, and TC Albert to mention only a few is quite inspiring. I'm definitely going to try some more.

Thanks again!

Rich

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 04:54:50 AM »
You've already received some sage advice, so I'll just compliment you on your wook. Nice bag! Thanks for sharing .. Bill Hey

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »
A very fine bag Rich.
I too would suggest rolling or binding the lip to work with the construction of the pouch.

For rural, homemade I would have omitted all welts and bindings though.

Great work.

James

BrownBear

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
The style and work are a home run for your intended period and "persona."  You could fancy it up, and from your sewing, I'd bet you have the skills.  But that's not what you were after.  Terrific sewing, especially for a first attempt.  Lots of folks never rise to that level.  Well done, and I can bet you've got a proud young man in your house.  He should be!

longhunter1757

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 10:40:18 PM »
BrownBear,
   Wow, wasn't expecting an answer like that. Many thanks indeed!!!!!

Rich

BrownBear

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:10:04 AM »
You bet!  And it's sincere.  I'm loath to talk about my first attempt at a bag, much less post pictures!  And I WAS trying to be fancy.  Oh my.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 04:15:31 AM »
Nice ... very nice indeed...it's like Brown Bear says...you are a long ways down the road already with your technique....way to go and thanks for sharing the photos..
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 04:16:25 AM »
Yep, nothing wrong with that one for the first go around!

Ole Doc

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 04:32:52 AM »
Looks real good ...
 nothing wrong with that ...
try folding the leather over along top edge of bag's front panel. help to stiffen it up specially
if you are using thinner leather.
Really like the bag design.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 08:02:45 AM »
Longhunter,

Others have already offered good advice to improve the bag, though for your first one "You Done Good."  Personally I don't care for the fringe on the flap, but that is just a matter or personal taste and is nothing against what you did.  Wish the first bag I made in 1972 was as good as your first one.

Gus

longhunter1757

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 02:16:36 PM »
Gentlemen I have to admit I wasn't expecting answers like these. I tend to be very critical of myself so it took a lot of nerve for me to post these pics.
Your advice and observations will definitely be taken into consideration for the next bag so I might improve.
I'd also like to learn how to carve and engrave as my first love is building guns.
This site has been very inspiring to me and the knowledge I've gained already is priceless to me.
Many thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:19:07 PM by longhunter1757 »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »
Rich, aside of the comments you've already received, good job on your bag.  I like the overall look and size as it tends to give you that 'early' look (bags tended to be deeper than wide?).  And don't be deterred with some comments regarding details 'outside' of rural look.  Even some of the people back then did have some access to the proper techniques and items to achieve a very good and sturdy bag (i.e., welting).  For instance, could it have been made by a young apprentice putting something for themselves, or a family member, using whatever scraps were left over from the harness maker??
All in all Rich good job on your first bag.
One other observation regarding  the use of a button to attach the straps to the bag.  From the photos I've seen some of the fellas attach them to the left side of the bags' back.  I'll assume this is for wearing on the right side giving the setup for the knife, why was your choice to use the 'right' side?  And, why two of them?  I was always under the impression of using a button (which is a good idea) was to allow the strap to rotate around the button to even out stressing on the strap?    And if two are used in the same line, wouldn't that setup counter the purpose of using just one? 

I have a bag that I would like to use this process, but would like to do it 'correctly', if there is such a thing. 

Great job again Rich.

Gary

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

longhunter1757

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 02:04:04 AM »
Gary,
   My reasoning for the button placement was based on the fact that I do historical scouts and to me if the buttons were on the opposite side they might snag when he moved the bag from front to rear. After I did it I re-thought it and in reality it probably wouldn't make any real difference. As far as two buttons, I made it for my 10 yr old son. Kids tend to be hard on things so I figured two buttons would act as a little insurance when he inevitably gets it snagged in some brush. Did I place them correctly? I honestly have no idea if one side is more correct than the other. Would two have been used? I haven't seen any but in my case there was a reason for my madness.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:52:25 PM by longhunter1757 »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 02:10:47 AM »
Rich, I see and totally understandable.  If I recall, 10 yr olds can be tough on items,  :D
As for getting things hung up on the brush, etc, it seems to be like Murphy's law anyway.  If there is a snag to be, I usually find it myself.   ;D

Thanks for your response and again, very nice looking bag.

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."